Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:58:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cardiacs

Started by garbed_attic, August 09, 2011, 09:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

If anyone here would like to help out Tim by supporting his case for further therapeutic treatment, you can do by sending positive messages to sarahndipity09@facebook.com, which will be used in support of his application. His patient funding review comes up in two days, so if you feel like sending something, don't delay!

Here's that Ginger from the Wildhearts saying exactly the same thing I just said:

Quote from: Ginger from the WildheartsThe wonderful person that is Tim Smith has his appeal to the funding board for essential rehab coming up IN TWO DAYS.

Please write something about how important the man is to you, send it here sarahndipity09@facebook.com and feel good about helping someone who has helped so many people here. Please let then know that Tim is a human being, not just a case.

He needs you. Thank you.

Gx
p.s. Please re post this address anywhere and everywhere you think will be willing to help.

Don_Preston

QuoteWhy couldn't it have been Jim?

J. Smith, c/o Alphabet Business Concern

Phil_A

Tch, just because he tried to murder Louis Barfe that one time...

Don_Preston

I hope that's a real incident and not just getting my hopes up!

Phil_A

Mr Barfe has told a story before about how he feel asleep backstage at a Cardiacs gig, and awoke to find Smith Senior holding a cushion over his face(Louis's face, not Jim's).

I'm sure Jim's a lovely fella really, but you wouldn't ever want to get on his bad side, mate.

sproggy

Sea Nymphs and Spratleys Japs - Pony CDs have been added to the Cardiacs shop, for those who haven't got them.

http://abc-mary.myshopify.com/collections/cds?page=2

boki

Wasn't quite sure whether to put this in here or the power-pop thread, but The Dowling Poole (aka Jon Poole and Willie[nb]from The Grip[nb]one for the 80s Kerrang! readers, there[/nb][/nb] Dowling) have unveiled the first track from their forthcoming album and very promising it is too - a slight touch of Guns-era Cardiacs in places, I reckon, albeit poppier.

boki

Bit of increased relevance to the above now, as Jon has revealed that the song was 'written for my old mate and teacher, Tim'.

Egyptian Feast

The double-vinyl edition of Sing To God is now available at the ABC shop. First 200 copies are numbered, and there's a draw to win the first copy plus a t-shirt.

http://abc-mary.myshopify.com/collections/vinyl

Stoneage Dinosaurs

New video from the garage concert rehearsals if anyone's interested:
http://youtu.be/V0yTGM4D1io

(For those of you who can handle the sight of Jim in his pants)

Don_Preston

Quote from: gloria on May 06, 2015, 02:12:47 PM
If Cardiacs did Band-Aid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWp2ZxjZWn0

My, who is that delectable lady with the smashing polka dot blouse?

gloria

Jo Spratley, of Spratley Japs fame.  Tim's ex.  She was a member of Cardiacs for a bit, singing with them live and on the Guns album.

Dirty Boy

I thought he meant the bird on the right, in which case it's Dug from NSRO/Bill Drake's band. I'd like to squish her face cheeks.

Brundle-Fly

Awww...lovely to see Sarah Cutts (the former Mrs Smith and ex-Cardiac sax player) at the far end stage right

Dirty Boy

Nah, it's Dug alright?!!?

Hang on... fucking hell. Can someone post a screenshot with arrows and names and that.

gloria

The drum-beating ladies in red at either side are, I think, Dawn Torabi and Cathy Harabaras.  Then from our left, the first three guys are the band Ham Legion.  Then the redhaired lady is Mel Woods.  The waistcoated dude next to her is Richard Larcombe from Stars in Battledress.  Then Kavus Torabi with the big hair. Some bald bloke I can't identify. The short darkhaired guy just behind Kavus is Christian 'Bic' Hayes. The lady in the spotty blouse is Jo Spratley. Dunno who the dude in the hoodie is. Behind them in the specs is Craig Fortnum.  Dunno who the longhair guy in the Cardiacs top nor the beardy guy behind is.  And then right on the end, holding the hymnsheet is Dug Parker.  You may also occasionally glimpse behind them all Stephen Gilchrist and Bob Leith (both on drums) and James Larcombe and William D Drake (both on keyboards).

Phil_A

Guy in the leopard print shirt and the dude next to him with a centre parting are both members of Knifeworld. The gothy lad in the stripy top is Jo's son Jessie and he and the tall blonde fella next to him are both members of Heavy Lamb, Jo's current band. Basically, anyone you don't recognise is probably in either of those bands. Haven't seen any recent photographs for comparison, but isn't the big chap with the long hair and glasses Tim Quy?

Has to be said, it was a pretty fucking magical day, although to my deep regret I didn't stay long enough to witness this bit.

Dirty Boy

Were you at the last one of these Phil? I'm still waiting for those Garage Rehearsals to come out.

Someone sneaked a video (disclaimer- it sounds like shit)

This is beautiful though: Drake Of Puppies

Phil_A

Quote from: Dirty Boy on May 06, 2015, 08:31:33 PM
Were you at the last one of these Phil? I'm still waiting for those Garage Rehearsals to come out.

No, which is why I made the effort this time! Totally worth it, it was a great day in a wonderful location.

One thing I'll say about Cardiacs fans, they really are a splendidly inclusive bunch. There were a whole load of us staying at the ecumenical college directly opposite Salisbury cathedral, which made for a very interesting breakfast on Sunday morning.

No sign of those elusive Garage DVDs yet, but they were selling pre-release copies of the new Bill Drake album, which I'm enjoying very muchly.

gloria

Thanks for those corrections, Phil. Think the longhair dude may be Matthew Cutts. I saw Tim Quy there on the day but I don't think he's on stage here.

Dirty Boy

News

Guns on vinyl!

New Bill Drake out soon!!

A couple of videos from the recent shindig. Don Preston might like this one: Jo Spratley sings Ocean Shipwreck.
Stars In Battledress
Some more snippets from the day. My heart jolted in the last few seconds of this. You'll see what i mean if you watch it.

Neville Chamberlain

For me, the highlight in terms of new music was Heavy Lamb. This is pretty typical of the kind of stuff they played and I can't wait for some proper recorded stuff from them!

All in all, probably the best "post-Cardiacs" event I've been to - and that's saying something!

Dirty Boy

Well this cheered me up to fuck after a shitty day

New W.D video

Nice Cardiacs homage (The Consultant ffs!)

The Giggling Bean

I am massively late to this party. I only discovered the Cardiacs a week and a half ago. I'm a member of the Electric Six forum on FB and someone asked what other bands/artists we where into. Having listed mine he messaged back saying I should really check out Cardiacs. I'm usually wary of recomendations but a few days later I was at a loose end online so I looked them up on Youtube. I watched the video for Tarred and Feathered and it ticked every box for me. I found the song to be similar to Oingo Boingos sound (of which I'm a big fan) and the whole look, demeanor and behaviour of the band was everything I admire in a group. The mad frantic energy, the shabby outfits and smeared make up plus a lead who seems to be bullying the rest of the band. I checked out Is This The Life shortly after and was hooked.....I love that song. After that I checked out R.E.S and then Seaside Treats and realised there was something in this band that massively appealed to me.

Last week I downloaded "A Little Man, A House and the Whole World Window" and have just been listening to it on repeat. I bought a copy from the Cardiacs homepage on Friday (a little dissapointed it doesn't have the extra tracks on). I then got a copy of "Heaven Born and Ever Bright" from Youtube and have been listening to that over the past few days. While a different heavier sound to Little Man, there where some tracks I absolutely loved such as March, Helen and Heaven, Day Is Gone and Snakes Are Sleeping. I fully intend on buying this album shortly too. I'm very interested to hear "Songs for Ships and Iron" and "Sing To God"

I'm amazed this band has never popped up on my radar until now but I'm bloody glad they have.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on June 02, 2015, 10:13:40 PM
I'm very interested to hear "Sing To God"

Oh man you're in for a fucking treat

Brundle-Fly

Nice Cardiacs piece in The Guardian.  However, it's bollocks they got coined off at the 1995  Blur Mile End gig. I was down the front and don't remember that happening at all. The only thing we all got pelted with was the pissing rain.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2015/jun/02/cult-heroes-tim-smith-led-the-cardiacs-in-the-face-of-hatred-and-much-love?CMP=share_btn_fb

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Okay so it's not bumping because this thread is. On the main page. But I've been listening to The Whole World Window again and it's just beautiful and I want to cry. :( in fact as much as I I love their later stuff, ALMAAHATTWW just speaks to me ina really special way - just that whole sense of being afraid of growing up and seeing the whole world with all it's expectations collapsing in on you without you being aware it's even happening, yet you can just accept that it can be beautiful not just terrifying. Thank you Tim smith :)

gloria

Here's tiny Bob Leith singing The Whole World Window at the Cardiacs' 2001 London Astoria gig.  Lovely version. http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00633431926768461976

Don_Preston