Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:26:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cardiacs

Started by garbed_attic, August 09, 2011, 09:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneage Dinosaurs

boki

TO-YAY.

I'll be the fat lad in the Bang Face hoodie.  Nev probably knows a trick or two when it comes to avoiding me.

Brundle-Fly

I'm attempting to get down tonight. I'll be the bloke crawling on the ceiling.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I have avoided being fucked by the London Overground and am on my way

Stoneage Dinosaurs

In the Famous Cock (ahahaha) pub by the tube station wearing a big brown coat and an XTC shirt if anyone fancies a chat

EDIT: no i'm not i'm in the queue

Phil_A

On my way down, gonna be bit tight but I think I'll make it for the first set.

Brundle-Fly

What a top night!  Even Tim Smith was there. He looked frail but seemed to be enjoying the night. Superb bands and Steve Davis was on good DJing form. That's a sentence I never thought I'd type.

chveik

I'm properly obsessed by this band now. curse you cab!

garbed_attic

Quote from: chveik on December 31, 2019, 09:25:34 PM
I'm properly obsessed by this band now. curse you cab!

haha you were always destined to become a pondie!

Cheery lockdown pond scum swimming bravely against the tide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZfJT1STHZ8

Manna from heaven.
Manhoo, I didn't quite get. I'm assuming he's just getting a fright when Tim shakes the tree viciously for LOOOOOOOOOOOVE!

Literally cranking the tail of that rubber jawed spinney dog!
I like the sir doggy chicken ceaser bit!

Ooh, this has come out of nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O5g6-06QDc

Only ten minutes in but I think I was too hard on Kavus in the past. Looks like he added a lot to the more stripped back, punky, nettles in the wind sound of the garage concerts.

Like he says, he wasn't John Poole, and it took me a good while to forgive him for that. Unfair.

edit: 15 minutes in, he's boring me to death and I hate him again! :D

Phil_A

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on July 06, 2020, 05:22:50 AM
Ooh, this has come out of nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O5g6-06QDc

Only ten minutes in but I think I was too hard on Kavus in the past. Looks like he added a lot to the more stripped back, punky, nettles in the wind sound of the garage concerts.

Like he says, he wasn't John Poole, and it took me a good while to forgive him for that. Unfair.

edit: 15 minutes in, he's boring me to death and I hate him again! :D

Dunno what you were expecting to be honest, Kavus has always seemed like a really down to earth geezer, I appreciate his honesty and the fact he doesn't feel the need to be "on" all the time. This was probably the most anyone's been allowed to peek "behind the curtain" where Cardiacs things are concerned and it's interesting to me from that point of view.

Also made me feel quite sad hearing of Tim's excitement when they were working on "L.S.D", and the missing Rotten Shed footage - I always felt like it was probably a bit of a compromise based on what they could salvage from the tapes and it seems that was the case.

I dunno, there's something about him that's always rubbed me up the wrong way.
He comes across as quite vain to me. I know he played up to that in cardiacs, but I think that's because it's his essence and they play up and exaggerate that when "in character". Don't rate his lyrics at all so it's a shame Tim seemed to give over the writing to him for an easy life.
I don't like the direction the band were going with the ditzy scene single, but yeah, I'd be excited to hear LSD come out with another singer. Who would it be though? Who could do it justice?
When he was saying Tim was getting the same shivers as he did when recording "on land". Wow! If it was really that good, I hope it sees the light of day in some form.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Anyone here for the bull and gate concert virtual gig thingy?

Pete23

Just got off it. Loved the Vile countdown, having the chat pinned was a great idea. Hearing all the banter between songs was fantastic and seeing him that is Tim a rare treat. It should have made me sad but it was too joyful. Looking forward to tomorrow ☺️

Neville Chamberlain

Yep, I was there, in my kitchen, watching all the songs. I'm trying to work out why on earth I wasn't at the actual gig. Was it a secret sort of thingy?

Pete23

Someone said that back in the day it was a badly kept secret on one of the comments that flew past last night. I'm assuming that these two shows were planned as warm-ups for the Garage shows - christ knows how complicated those songs were to learn.

Bently Sheds

Well that was good. Wasn't until it finished and I put the chat on that I saw Jim was in there getting all sorts of well deserved Laudation.

Pete23

Loved all the Gong references - a spooky foretelling of Karvus's post Cardiacs career. And Fiery Gun Hand as the encoure was amazing!

Phil_A

Quote from: Pete23 on December 22, 2020, 09:55:02 AM
Someone said that back in the day it was a badly kept secret on one of the comments that flew past last night. I'm assuming that these two shows were planned as warm-ups for the Garage shows - christ knows how complicated those songs were to learn.

The Garage Shows were in 2003, two years before!

Poor Kavus had to learn around thirty songs for those, for his first gig with the band.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Oh fuck there was another one yesterday? I didn't read the facebook event properly and thought the one on the 21st was the only one :( god fuck it.

dbs

Here's members of Spratleys Japs and Knifeworld playing Dirty Boy, with Mike Vennart formally of Oceansize on vocals:

https://youtu.be/sYT1oo4tICE

itsfredtitmus

the greatest band to get smashed on stimulants on

Dirty Boy

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on December 23, 2020, 04:29:11 PM
Oh fuck there was another one yesterday? I didn't read the facebook event properly and thought the one on the 21st was the only one :( god fuck it.
Aw mate, you missed the best one. Germ free Timmy.

Someone has put these useless fuckers on the spotty fly (to embarrass Jim). After the recent endorsement from Dave Grohl all we need now is the patronage of Sir Phillip Minton esq to complete the set.

sevendaughters

famethrowa

Been getting into this band thanks to this forum and Spotify. Takes some work but I like it, and as an Antipodean, pleased to see our man Brundle picked it 10 years ago:

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 11, 2011, 01:40:16 PM
I've always been a big Cardiacs fan (since seeing their Tarred And Feathered promo on C4s The Tube) so not wishing to hijack this thread, but does the panel think Cardiacs were in any way visually influenced by Split Enz?  (70s/80s NZ band)

I don't know if Cardiacs were influenced by the Enz, but there's certainly musical similarities, the angular melodies, tricky musicianship and air of nuttiness and general diversity.... it's maybe suggesting where the Enz would have gone if Neil Finn and his acoustic guitar hadn't taken over.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: famethrowa on February 28, 2021, 11:56:22 AM
Been getting into this band thanks to this forum and Spotify. Takes some work but I like it, and as an Antipodean, pleased to see our man Brundle picked it 10 years ago:

I don't know if Cardiacs were influenced by the Enz, but there's certainly musical similarities, the angular melodies, tricky musicianship and air of nuttiness and general diversity.... it's maybe suggesting where the Enz would have gone if Neil Finn and his acoustic guitar hadn't taken over.

It is quite a leap musically the Finns made from Enz to Crowded House.