Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:59:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cardiacs

Started by garbed_attic, August 09, 2011, 09:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bently Sheds

Quote from: famethrowa on February 28, 2021, 11:56:22 AM
I don't know if Cardiacs were influenced by the Enz, but there's certainly musical similarities, the angular melodies, tricky musicianship and air of nuttiness and general diversity.... it's maybe suggesting where the Enz would have gone if Neil Finn and his acoustic guitar hadn't taken over.
Many years ago, in my youthful exuberance, I actually wrote to Cardiacs telling them of my love for their music and how much they reminded me of Mental Notes-era Enz. Sarah Smith wrote a lovely letter back thanking me for my missive and added that yes, they did like Split Enz "but we like lots of other bands, too." I stuck the letter in my copy of On Land And In The Sea, which my parents sold to a record dealer when I moved out and forgot to take my vinyl collection.

It's not hard to miss the visual connection between the two bands when you consider the video to Sweet Dreams with all the gurning and fannying about. Top prancing in the middle, there.

Sherman Krank

David Minnick has brought the 180 G's to (somewhat creepy) life.
Junior (Is a Jitterbug)

Looks like he's going to do the rest of Guns as well.

Deliciousbass

The Barnes film festival aired "All that Glitters is a Mare's Nest" as part of their program this year and included a Q&A with William D Drake after: https://vimeo.com/554208661

It's a treat!

daf

This cover popped up in my YouTube suggestions - nice early Genesis vibe :

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Brundle-Fly

Ah heck, I didn't know he'd been poorly. R.I.P.

Neville Chamberlain

I think he'd been poorly for a while, but I saw him a few times at the Salisbury gigs and he always looked jolly enough, puffing away on a vape thingy, pint in hand and in near-permanent conversation. There were so many ways in which the sound of the 'classic' line-up was a thing of pure twinkling, kaleidoscopic beauty, and his contributions were a huge, huge part of that. R.I.P., Mr Quy.

sutin

Sad news. All the members from that line up who made the first two (proper) albums were important. I love all Cardiacs but I don't think even Sing To God had that same magic touch (as much as I love it).

Kankurette

Quote from: Bently Sheds on February 28, 2021, 01:55:54 PMMany years ago, in my youthful exuberance, I actually wrote to Cardiacs telling them of my love for their music and how much they reminded me of Mental Notes-era Enz. Sarah Smith wrote a lovely letter back thanking me for my missive and added that yes, they did like Split Enz "but we like lots of other bands, too." I stuck the letter in my copy of On Land And In The Sea, which my parents sold to a record dealer when I moved out and forgot to take my vinyl collection.

It's not hard to miss the visual connection between the two bands when you consider the video to Sweet Dreams with all the gurning and fannying about. Top prancing in the middle, there.
Awww!

Performing thread necromancy to ask if anyone's heard Leader of the Starry Skies, the tribute album, or its companion. The main album has more 'names' on it - Ultrasound, Oceansize, Julianne Regan and the Magic Numbers, for instance. The Trudy's cover of Day is Gone is my favourite.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Kankurette on April 17, 2023, 11:20:13 PMAwww!

Performing thread necromancy to ask if anyone's heard Leader of the Starry Skies, the tribute album, or its companion. The main album has more 'names' on it - Ultrasound, Oceansize, Julianne Regan and the Magic Numbers, for instance. The Trudy's cover of Day is Gone is my favourite.

Yeah, both albums are things of loveliness. Steven Wilson's lovely sparse version of Stoneage Dinosaurs was the one that grabbed me.

Deliciousbass

Yeah it's great! William D Drake's Savour is my fav with The Scara 6 version of HoFS a close second.

Apparently the melody line toward the end of Drake's cover was a discarded tune Tim wrote in the 80s. Bill had carried it round in his head and eventually reworked it into his tribute.

Kankurette

I also discovered Idiotbox and Sidi Bou Said through them, so that's nice.

wrec

Have that tribute album stored away somewhere, picked it up on a whim before I knew most of the originals and only played it once. Need to dig it out.