Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,401
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:19:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your First Game

Started by Small Man Big Horse, August 14, 2011, 09:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hpmons

First game I ever remember playing was some educational game...I don't remember the title, but I think it had 16 colours and the people had big round pink faces...I think there were maths balloons.  The first game with a title I remember (also educational...) was called Futureland 7 which the internet still refuses to admit existed.  Can't remember whether I played that first or the awesome Prince of Persia 2.

First game I bought myself? Probably Super Mario Land 1 and 2.  Didn't like #1 much as I don't think it had a save file, but #2 was fab.

Yeah...in conclusion I'm young.

wheatgod

Roland In The Caves, on Amstrad CPC 464, loading from a crusty tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMeYBQaGRuY

This chap is pretty funny.

mcbpete

A slight tangent, though not my first game this is definitely the one that spawned my interest in the glitch aesthetic (both visually and sonically):

Those brought up on multi-load games will know that even if you successfully boot up your tape, bigger games like Platoon (above) will be split into various sections and are just as likely to fail in loading. I remember that when the tunnel section of Platoon loaded on one occasion that something immediately was wrong, as all the text was all garbled and the sound significantly screwed up. When my brother hit the fire button to start the level, it showed this nightmarishly glitched alternative-world recreation of the above - I mean that level was scary enough to a 7 year old but this version really screwed me up. The game still played as normal, but every sprite and background was this decayed mess of pixels that, I believe, actually gave me nightmares.

Nowadays I try my very best to try and glitch out games to great something 'pleasing' as an end result (e.g. this album I curated (don't know if curated is quite the word) from mulching together MegaDrive games - http://www.recordlabelrecords.org/various-artists-genesis-bending.html )