Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:46:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The old computer magazines

Started by Famous Mortimer, August 17, 2011, 08:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papercut

I do remember when Amiga Power started there was a kerfuffle about giving away a free game at £3 a pop, and so some agreement was reached with games publishers which limited the games that magazine publishers would give away, presumably in return for demos.

Marty McFly

I bought pretty much every issue of Amiga Power (even from the last couple of years where there was so little coverage of games that most of the pages went on fictional 70s kids shows and re-creating real life Doom), and even then the only games that were given away were by no means popular big-sellers. The coverdiscs usually contained demos, and the odd full PD game (like the Puyo Puyo clone, Super Foul Egg), even in the last year where sticking a full game on the disc was a clear incentive to actually buy the mag, the games were still several years old.

Some of the Demo's given away on Amiga Power were brilliant. Does anyone remember the delightfully tasteless 'Cannon Soccer' which mixed the best two games from Sensible Software together to recreate that mythical World War One kickabout between England and Germany?

There were a few games whose demos I adored but never got round to buying the full game. I remember 'Syndicate' being one of those games.

Marty McFly

Yes, I remember it well!

Bought a Christmas issue of The One (or was it The One Amiga?) because the coverdisc contained a full game called Psycho Santa.

The game was awful. The mag wasn't much better..

Dusty Gozongas

Any fellow subscribers to JAM (Just Amiga Monthly) "The Worlds most Black And White Amiga Magazine"? By far my favourite and most informative of the lot and produced using the Amiga - DTP courtesy of Wordsworth as I recall.

This was during the death throes of Commodore and ran for 58 episodes, of which I had well over half, but was brimming with the enthusiasm you'd expect from your typical die-hard Amiganaut. Sadly missed :)

Lt Plonker

Quote from: Marty McFly on August 18, 2011, 09:33:26 PM
I did my work experience at N64 Magazine. Sat opposite Wil Overton, I did.

Brills! I read that one religiously, through about three incarnations, until something like 2005. I remember them having a really great, interesting and funny line-up of writers and it always seemed to be chock-a-block full of ideas and features.

madhair60

NGamer retains that N64/NGC ethos.  Last time I read an issue (well over a year ago to be fair) it was pretty easily the best mag currently running.