Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:33:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

[MUSO] Keyboard controllers

Started by Neomod, August 19, 2011, 11:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomod

Has anyone ever had any experience (good or bad) of these micro controllers?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Korg-MICROKEY/dp/B0043C599S/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1313252208&sr=8-5

I'm thinking of downsizing from my Studiologic SL-161 fullsize keyboard for space reasons.

NoSleep

You will probably miss the action of the Studiologic in comparison to the Korg. Not that Studiologic are the greatest in this area, but they do pride themselves on being a manufacturer of keyboards and not a computer accessory firm.
I suppose it depends on how much of a keyboard player you are for action to matter, but in terms of what you're already used to it may be a considerable step down. A cheapo Korg might be better than a comparable M-Audio but even Korg's keyboards don't "kick in" until somewhere near the £500 mark. I wouldn't be surprised if notes went missing after a period (definitely DON'T get an Edirol for this reason).

NoSleep

Just realised; it's tiny keys on the Microkey! I'd say handy to have around as an extra when you require a bit more stretch, but normal sized is better (having been ergonomically determined over centuries).

Neomod

Apparently reviews have said it's got the same keyboard action as the more expensive  xl range but I think it may be worth keeping the full size and getting this.

NoSleep

Quote from: Neomod on August 19, 2011, 01:14:25 PM
Apparently reviews have said it's got the same keyboard action as the more expensive  xl range but I think it may be worth keeping the full size and getting this..

I think you missed putting a link to something.

Neomod

Nah, just too many full stops that I couldn't be arsed to edit...

... but now have.

NoSleep

Now I get it. I guess, as long as you can pack the StudioLogic away in a cupboard or under the bed, then you'll have the extra space and eat it too.

NoSleep

Quote from: The Masked Unit on August 19, 2011, 01:22:56 PM
What about one of these

http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_controllers/sl_mkii/

I think that's above budget and is more of a MIDI controller than the Microkey, which is almost just a keyboard (Korg do another unit with all the knobs and sliders for about £40-£50).

HappyTree

I have a question about a controller for a keyboard, rather than a keyboard controlling something else.

It's the Yamaha BC3 breath controller. I got one for my Yamaha S90-ES, followed instructions in a PDF for setting a sax voice to accept it as input controller for volume...and it won't work. I'm doing something wrong but have no idea what.

Anyone got any experience using breath controllers? With the Motif chipset? I'm lost.

HappyTree

sproggy

I've been using a MicroKey for about a month now and the action is very nice.  Compact and light it sits nicely on my desktop in front of the PC keyboard and no problems interfacing as it's USB, just plug and play.

Neomod

Yep, mine arrived yesterday and the action is surprisingly good for the price.