Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,183
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:17:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Complete tossers on ebay

Started by 23 Daves, August 22, 2011, 10:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momatt

Yes!  So many times I click on an item thinking it's a bargain, when it's actually just the empty box or something totally unrelated.
These people are scum, subhuman scum.

You do your best to hide your snobbery and privilege but it's on full display here. You've never bid on an eBay item, then by the time the auction ends found yourself impecunious because of an unexpected bill or fewer days than expected on your Zero Hours contract have you? Shut the fuck up and relist the item.

momatt

NoSleep

Those three cunts that scuppered your shirt sale were actually saints, see?

Bought a car part that I need moderately urgently, and it's either been sent to the wrong address or they've put the wrong tracking number up. Not quite 'complete tosser' territory yet, but has put me in a low miff anticipating that it's the former and is going to be a severe arse ache.

Z

Quote from: momatt on January 11, 2018, 09:25:37 AM
Yes!  So many times I click on an item thinking it's a bargain, when it's actually just the empty box or something totally unrelated.
These people are scum, subhuman scum.
It'd be very easy for them to check too

1. Is one of the options drastically cheaper than the rest?
2. Is the description similar to the other description (regex and substring analysis)

Allow people to report them easily and after enough flags ban that person from listing multiple items under one listing

I can't imagine it actually works for the sellers either.

Viero_Berlotti

Sellers will unfortunately always try and game the eBay search engine. You're right though it doesn't really give them much benefit and just serves to piss people off. The reason they're struggling to sell and resorting to desperate tactics is because they're in a saturated market with hundreds of others selling the same thing.

Famous Mortimer

I had yet more phone selling issues recently (I bet if you go back through this thread there'll be a few of my old posts where I suggest burning eBay to the ground); people still try and buy em based in Costa Rica or the Ukraine or wherever. Just stop, please. Second time of listing the bloke paid, then said "er, my girlfriend has just gone into hospital, I need the money back" and cancelled the payment.

It has been my experience that eBay users are, as a whole, the least lucky group of people on earth. I've lost count of the number of times a sick relative or a lost job has forced someone to not post an item for two weeks or retract a bid after the bidding has ended. Terrible shame.

mippy

I'm still pissed off that eBay won't reinstate my seller account. Listed a bunch of small items, then had to deal with a medical emergency that meant I wasn't in the office for a week. Even though I contacted people to let them know the situation and that, I got stiffed on the star ratings and they removed my ability to sell. (Everything was posted, but there's nothing like people getting arsey over a £3 lipgloss when you've already explained that you'd much, much rather be at the post office with it than at multiple unpleasant appointments.) That was five years ago. My feedback was 99.5%. Arses.

St_Eddie

Quote from: momatt on January 11, 2018, 09:58:13 AM
what?

See, you may have mistakenly thought that it was the bidder's responsibility to ensure that they had the necessary funds, come the listing's end date and that they shouldn't bid unless they felt reasonably certain that they'd be able to pay up, should they win the bid.  However, it was in fact you who was at fault, for not having the good grace to allow for people to be short-sighted, time-wasting eejits.  A rookie mistake.

NoSleep

An apology to momatt (just click on "contact seller" and type a sentence) would have gone a long way, too (although I hear what Famous Mortimer is saying about how "unlucky" ebay bidders tend to be).

Judge Foozle

I wonder if anyone else has had the same experience as me with ebay? I ordered a standard movie DVD and it arrived in an Amazon pack. On enquiry I was told that it's fairly common practice for a seller to buy from Amazon at a lower price, pass on my address and receive it direct from Amazon. I wish to avoid using Amazon, so I'm not pleased, plus it shows that Amazon is often cheaper than ebay for the same item (or there would be no benefit in this kind of deal). I suppose now, I have to avoid them both!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Judge Foozle on January 14, 2018, 10:41:16 AM
I wonder if anyone else has had the same experience as me with ebay? I ordered a standard movie DVD and it arrived in an Amazon pack. On enquiry I was told that it's fairly common practice for a seller to buy from Amazon at a lower price, pass on my address and receive it direct from Amazon. I wish to avoid using Amazon, so I'm not pleased, plus it shows that Amazon is often cheaper than ebay for the same item (or there would be no benefit in this kind of deal). I suppose now, I have to avoid them both!

That's a tricky one because it is extremely cheeky of the seller to do this and yet, technically speaking, you received the item which you wanted, for the agreed upon price.  I hear you on the front of not wanting to support Amazon but then again, any given ebay seller may be morally reprehensible too and in such a situation, you'd still be giving a morally dubious entity your money and therefore, support.

Also, even if you purchase an non-Amazon packaged DVD from an ebay user; who's to say that their purchase didn't originally originate via an Amazon order, therefore resulting in a profit to Amazon, regardless.  After all, Amazon doesn't care if the ebay user gave them the money for something and later sold it on to you, secondhand or whether you purchased it directly from them.  It's still an item which they received money for.

It's a quandary all right but ultimately, I'd just keep buying off ebay but maybe check to see if said product is available cheaper directly from Amazon first.  That may at least give you some indication.  Don't beat yourself up about it though because frankly, life's too short.

mippy

Isn't that a lo-fi method of drop-shipping? There are lots of people claiming you can Make Real Money on eBay! that way.

Wouldnt the passing on of your details to a 3rd party contvine Data portection laws. You should complain, and hope they get the fiull £500,000 fine.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on January 15, 2018, 12:09:33 AM
Wouldnt the passing on of your details to a 3rd party contvine Data portection laws. You should complain, and hope they get the fiull £500,000 fine.

Pfft!  A £500,000 fine?!  It's a death sentence or nothing at all and I ain't gonna settle for nothing.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on January 15, 2018, 12:09:33 AM

I'm not sure of the details of data protection laws, but I'm guessing passing your address to a third party isn't enough to contravene, otherwise any company that uses a delivery company would be in breach.

momatt

Quote from: NoSleep on January 14, 2018, 10:29:35 AM
An apology to momatt (just click on "contact seller" and type a sentence) would have gone a long way.

Exactly, a quick explanation is basic politeness.  Even if it's obviously bollocks, it's better than silence.
My gripe was it happeening three times in a row for the same item.

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 14, 2018, 07:46:32 AM
See, you may have mistakenly thought that it was the bidder's responsibility to ensure that they had the necessary funds, come the listing's end date and that they shouldn't bid unless they felt reasonably certain that they'd be able to pay up, should they win the bid.  However, it was in fact you who was at fault, for not having the good grace to allow for people to be short-sighted, time-wasting eejits.  A rookie mistake.
Yeah, how cheeky I am to want to make a few quid selling my old junk - without being fucked about by twats.

Judge Foozle

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 15, 2018, 04:05:59 AM
Pfft!  A £500,000 fine?!  It's a death sentence or nothing at all and I ain't gonna settle for nothing.

Yes I did complain but they said none of their rules had been broken, it was just cheaper for the seller to use Amazon Israel. I was invited to make a "formal" complaint but it would obviously get me nowhere. The obvious remedy is to buy from the base source. I closed my Amazon account some time ago and now I've closed my ebay one too.

DrGreggles

OK, so I've been selling some PC components on eBay.
One of my listings is for various sticks of RAM and I've listed the different versions pretty clearly.
Some guy bought one a few days ago and has claimed it's faulty and requested a return.
While I was messaging him to ask if he wanted a replacement sending or a refund, he ordered another stick of RAM from me - but a different sort.
I mentioned this to him, as I wasn't sure if he'd mis-ordered this time or ordered the wrong one previously - and maybe it wasn't faulty at all.
It turns out that the first order was for the wrong RAM and he wanted to return it - even though there was no suggestion it was actually faulty.
So now I'm obliged to send a new one out as per the 2nd order, but what do I do with the refund request?
Technically he received what he'd ordered, and it stipulates no returns on the listing.

NoSleep

Take it up with ebay if he disagrees but he should pay for the return postage.

Brian Freeze

I need to try and sell some low value car parts (to try and make more than I'd have got from the scrappie ) on eBay.

Some will have to be collection only because of the size/weight and some I will be able to post.

Any tips or advice for someone who is brand new to flogging shite on eBay would be very very much appreciated.

Edit : Reading the whole of this thread might be helpful but I won't in case it isn't.

MojoJojo

No advice, just clearing the new bug.

Dex Sawash

Maybe sell the stuff "as is" to avoid the "item was DOA" scammers?

niat

Quote from: Brian Freeze on February 23, 2018, 01:24:32 AM
I need to try and sell some low value car parts (to try and make more than I'd have got from the scrappie ) on eBay.

Some will have to be collection only because of the size/weight and some I will be able to post.

Any tips or advice for someone who is brand new to flogging shite on eBay would be very very much appreciated.

Edit : Reading the whole of this thread might be helpful but I won't in case it isn't.

Only accept cash on collection so they can't ask for a PayPal refund after picking up the goods.

Blue Jam

I have some items I'd like to sell on Amazon but I see that they now have the "A to Z guarantee" and that a buyer can claim a refund simply by claiming the item arrived damaged, and that loads of buyers are exploiting this and making fraudulent claims. I remember getting increasingly sick of eBay as the things gradually tipped more and more in the buyer's favour until I got sick of being held to ransom by buyers and just gave up. Is it still worth selling stuff on Amazon or would I just be better off taking my DVDs and games to a charity shop?