Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:08:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Limmy on Twitter and webcam [split topic]

Started by Neil, July 30, 2011, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Louise MenschThat's way more than bad taste. That's hatred and a threat. Clearly no responsible corporation should allow that. He's got to go. Old woman.

God, what an awful person she is.

Neomod

Nice to know she will be getting a heap of shit from Limmy's gang though.

Johnny Townmouse

It's a delight to watch. The next webcam should be fun.

Beagle 2

I only just got around to watching some Limmy stuff for the first time yesterday for no real reason, thought it was amazing, and now suddenly he's got Mensch on his arse. I'm not saying Louise Mensch is stalking me, going through my internet history and my bins. That's not what I'm saying.

Johnny Townmouse

Apropos of nothing, I can't seem to get this out of my head today....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggEUx-wS0ms

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Beagle 2 on November 10, 2011, 01:55:16 PM
and now suddenly he's got Mensch on his arse.

Mensch:

Quote"How is it possible for a *working comedian to put up an avatar of an old woman w/ red line over her throat & DIE NOW written across her face?"

It's the sublime use of rhetoric that made her the ideal interrogator to take down Murdoch's empire.

"Is this cool, Rupert? Is it? Is this cool???"

*perhaps we could excuse an unemployed one.

Old Nehamkin

The funny thing about it is he's not even a working comedian right now, he's just a man sitting at home on his computer using twitter to amuse himself and his fans between gigs. His actual bbc work isn't really based on this sort of shock value humour at all, it's just that on twitter it's an easy way of getting reactions from people and providing him with fodder. It's part of his established online persona.

And it's not even like he expresses a consistent viewpoint anyway. If you decide to get outraged at his anti-tory sentiments you might as well also get outraged about his pro-tory sentiments, his fervent anti-atheism, his fervent atheism, his hatred of Celtic fans, his hatred of Rangers fans, his hatred of celtic and rangers fans, his anti-feminism, his hatred of england, his hatred of america, his hatred of Scotland, his hatred of people with default egg avatars, his threats to personally murder his fans in the street and in their homes, his intention to hurl a bafta into a crowdful of people, etc. etc.

Plus the idea that having worked for the bbc makes you responsible for representing their official line in your personal twitter feed is absolutely mental. What the fuck is she expecting bbc Scotland to do? Ring him up and tell him to sort his tweets out?

Little Hoover

He works for BBC Scotland though where surely an anti-royal sentiment is compulsory?

Old Nehamkin

23 Daves

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on November 10, 2011, 03:29:13 PM

Plus the idea that having worked for the bbc makes you responsible for representing their official line in your personal twitter feed is absolutely mental. What the fuck is she expecting bbc Scotland to do? Ring him up and tell him to sort his tweets out?

Some Lib Dem campaigner was whinging about how "all BBC employees should be non-partisan" as well.  Yes, even comedians (clearly he's not aware of Ben Elton's early career).  Then he began smugly listing all the Lib Dem's achievements over the last year.  It reminded me why I'd never vote for those pathetic parasites ever again, so thanks for that, Limmy.

Old Nehamkin

I tweeted Mensch saying Limmy really shouldn't have to toe the BBC line on his own twitter, she replied:

Quote from: Louise Mensch@RJF92 sure, and BBC Scotland don't need to commission work from him either.

She's also tweeted that she's going to "Be on this tomorrow" as it's in the "Public interest". This is what really annoys me, the idea that the actions of the BBC should be dictated by a minority group of reactionary arseholes. She's an MP and she's spending her time manufacturing meaningless outrage that just distracts from actual problems in the real world.
I did laugh at her comment that Thatcher's "Mentally more vulnerable" to personal abuse because she's "Clearly very frail", though. Because of course Thatcher's going to be logging on to twitter to check Limmy's feed and having a heart attack.

23 Daves

Whether he meant to or not, he's highlighted how staggeringly thick (or disingenuous) a lot of politicans are. Sadly, that's more depressing than anything else. 

Mr Skinnylegs

As someone said on Twitter, it's funny how Mensch thinks Limmy's attitude towards Thatcher is in any way unusual in Glasgow.

23 Daves

Quote from: Mr Skinnylegs on November 11, 2011, 12:29:04 AM
As someone said on Twitter, it's funny how Mensch thinks Limmy's attitude towards Thatcher is in any way unusual in Glasgow.

She's probably never been. 

CaledonianGonzo

Or, if she has, just as the punchline to a joke or as a cautionary warning.

kitsofan34

LouiseMensch Louise Mensch
@ @inksmithy speaking for myself alone, I don't feel I was told a single untruth by James Murdoch but other members may have different view.

As someone has already said, some politicians really are thick as shit.

Starting to get more widespread press from the broadsheets now too: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3928358/Limmy-in-hate-rant-at-family.html
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/louisemensch/100116958/why-is-the-bbc-using-licence-fee-money-to-pay-a-man-who-wishes-margaret-thatcher-dead/

Onionlimit

That Telegraph blog is cracking.  The comments especially.

I'm really taken aback that she even mentions in the article it's a joke and that he does this sort of thing to get a rise out of people, yet she seems totally oblivious to herself.  And she quotes the BBC statement that says he doesn't work for the BBC, yet still calls for him to be sacked.  Hehe, this is really something.

CaledonianGonzo

Can someone please post the blog, thanks.  I don't really want to give it any more hits than necessary.

Onionlimit

QuoteWhy is the BBC using licence fee money to pay a man who wishes Margaret Thatcher dead?
Margaret Thatcher, whom Brian Limond wishes dead

At first I couldn't believe it. Tim Montgomerie, the editor of Conservative Home, published a couple of tweets from an account purporting to be from Brian Limond, a comic who apparently has a series on BBC Scotland, under his nickname Limmy. Obviously, there's a certain breed of comedian who just prefer to say outrageous things rather than actually be funny. But the difference here is that our national public service broadcaster is commissioning series from him. Now, you get fired from the BBC, and rightly so, if you preach racist hate, although Jonathan Ross survived mocking an old man about Russell Brand having sex with his granddaughter with a brief suspension. Therefore, I was pretty sure that it had to be a "parody account" – a Twitter account set up to impersonate somebody famous.

Only it wasn't. Mr Limond, who at 37 promotes himself as some sort of ageing internet troll, was doing a fine job of showing the Left at its most deranged and disgusting.

"If I was to find out right now that Thatcher had died, I don't think my heart could take it. Jackpot" he tweeted, and then again "How removed from reality must you be to not see Thatcher's death as a celebration?" Oh no! Stop, please! My aching sides! Limond's army of loons were thrilled that some Conservatives had taken offence. "Censorship!" they squealed. "Free speech!" they cried.

Well, yes. Free speech includes the right to be offensive. It includes the right to describe an old woman in terms of such bitter hatred that you talk about her death being a jackpot. It includes the right to post faux-serious arguments like saying you are "removed from reality" if you don't see that old woman's death as a celebration. But the point is that our license fee should not go to BBC Scotland so they can commission multiple series from a healthy, middle-aged male who chooses to rain such hate on a woman of eighty-six, now mentally frail, vulnerable and unable to answer him back or defend herself. I hope Mr Limond feels like a big man for frothing over the forthcoming death of a very old woman. Maybe he feels proud. Does BBC Scotland feel proud?

The BBC put out a brief statement saying that Brian Limond was not employed by the BBC. Well, no, but they are commissioning his series with licence fee payers' money. One in 2010 and another in 2011. Limond put out a fake tweet apology, stating "I have deleted my tweets, and I'd like to apologise for any offence caused. It is never my intention to offend. Please RT." Limond's entire shtick is to offend, so this was a nudge-nudge wink wink non-apology. Just in case we didn't get the message about how unrepentant he was, he followed it up by posting the link to buy his latest DVD. See what he did there?

But the worst part of Limond's bullying came from his avatar (an image loaded up to be a profile picture, visible next to everything you post online). Limond chose to put up a picture of Lady Thatcher with her eyes crossed out in blood red, a red line slashed across her throat, and DIE NOW written across her forehead. The ageism may be a first; the misogyny is not. Earlier this year Limond tweeted a joke about "hooking the jaw of my pregnant girlfriend". I don't think this is about censorship. Mr Limond can spew what he likes on Twitter. But somebody who puts up violent, hate-filled images, wishing death on a very old, frail woman, is not somebody whom BBC Scotland should be commissioning with public money.

Brian Limond's Twitter profile picture of Margaret Thatcher

PS. This was Mr Limond's contribution to the Royal Wedding: http://twitpic.com/428gv1

The caption: "Margaret Thatcher, whom Brian Limond wishes dead" really amused me.  This is so brilliantly ridiculous.

Bob The Skutter

Jesus christ the comments

Quote from: GeysaI do hope Lady Thatcher outlives Limmy. At least Thatcher improved and contributed positively to this country, whereas Limmy's hero, Stalin,  is a left wing mass murderer who slaughtered tens of millions of the world's poor.

I know who is the better role Model.

As for Limmy's own contribution? Pure verbal excrement!

Johnny Townmouse

This is a crystalline moment of clarity - it shows the extent to which politicians will try to gain capital and publicity even when they know their campaign is pointless. She doesn't give a toss about Limmy - she cares about her profile. Boris Johnson became mayor based on nothing other than his public profile and appearances in the media - she knows that's the direct route to power, not the small stuff.

Quote from: Onionlimit on November 11, 2011, 12:33:47 PM
That Telegraph blog is cracking.  The comments especially.

I'm really taken aback that she even mentions in the article it's a joke and that he does this sort of thing to get a rise out of people, yet she seems totally oblivious to herself.  And she quotes the BBC statement that says he doesn't work for the BBC, yet still calls for him to be sacked.  Hehe, this is really something.

She is only pandering quite cynically to the rabid unsophisticated right-wingers of the Telegraph blog, for whom most things sail over their heads, viz:

"I do hope Lady Thatcher outlives Limmy. At least Thatcher improved and contributed positively to this country, whereas Limmy's hero, Stalin,  is a left wing mass murderer who slaughtered tens of millions of the world's poor."

Going by Mensch's logic, perhaps Kenny Everett should have been sacked by the BBC in the early 80s for his quip about kicking the elderly Labour Leader's Michael Foot's stick away at the young Tories conference.

CaledonianGonzo

Scribbling on a picture of Thatcher is not misogynistic.

Viero_Berlotti

QuoteLimond chose to put up a picture of Lady Thatcher with her eyes crossed out in blood red, a red line slashed across her throat, and DIE NOW written across her forehead. The ageism may be a first; the misogyny is not.

I cracked up when I saw that avatar.

vrailaine

"Limmy's hero, Stalin", that's absolutely brilliant, he's absolutely brilliant.

Does this one actually do anything for her constituency at all? Like, if she's time to be on HIGNFY and write articles like this? You'd think people would get annoyed seeing her at crap like this really.

Johnny Townmouse

Linehan is defending Limmy on Twitter.

"'Limmy's Show' is a work of genius and utterly apolitical. To claim that BBC is answerable for his Twitter feed is usual anti-BBC hackery"

Can't disagree with that.

Limmy knows that the eyes are on him today from a bunch of new followers and reactionary nob-heads. He has responded by being all philosophical and new age, reflecting on life in a most cliched way. He's fucking great.

Beagle 2

Aside from all this business I only started following him yesterday and I'm really enjoying his little philosophical musings today. He's made my twitter about 300% more interesting. Why don't more people USE it properly as a medium?