Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:47:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Limmy on Twitter and webcam [split topic]

Started by Neil, July 30, 2011, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Aye it's like Plato debating philosophy with a Dachshund puppy.

Cuellar

I tried to subscribe to his twitch channel but my bank decided to block my card instead.

Mango Chimes

Can't usually be bothered with this webcam shite, but I'm enjoying this Political Techno thing he's doing at the moment.

EDIT: Bored now.

magval

In the blurb on the previous page, any idea what he means by his "sexual problems"?

riotinlagos

Quote from: magval on February 01, 2019, 05:48:19 PM
In the blurb on the previous page, any idea what he means by his "sexual problems"?

He's mentioned on the webcam that in his late teens/early twenties he suffered from fanny fright.

Sebastian Cobb

He's quite open about being on various antidepressants as well, they can fuck up your libido or your ability to get it up can't they?

Cuellar

Quote from: riotinlagos on February 01, 2019, 05:53:36 PM
He's mentioned on the webcam that in his late teens/early twenties he suffered from fanny fright.

What's that?

Bennett Brauer

Cuellar

giveover

Has anyone been ripping his Twitch streams by any chance? There was one mentioned on the previous page I wanted to watch but it's been taken down, annoyingly. I've been religiously ripping all the YT and webcam stuff I can over the years but can't seem to do it with Twitch. Anyone more tech-minded able to help out?

And if anyone has a full collection of his webcam episodes, before YT muted/deleted them do get in touch by PM. Some of his best material has been on these, would be great to set up a full collection. (I noticed the Xmas special he did for Sky isn't online anywhere either, I managed to film it off the TV though.)

giveover

Also, at his recent Manchester Q&A he said how he was asked to star in Bandersnatch as the more experienced developer who leapt off the balcony after taking acid. But he turned it down as it clashed with the Bristol tour date.

Crazy that he turned it down - Black Mirror is a worldwide phenomenon and could have exposed him to a massive new audience and new acting roles. I mean, massive respect for not letting down his Bristol fans but he could have rescheduled that date, surely?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: giveover on April 07, 2019, 09:49:47 PM
Also, at his recent Manchester Q&A he said how he was asked to star in Bandersnatch as the more experienced developer who leapt off the balcony after taking acid. But he turned it down as it clashed with the Bristol tour date.

Crazy that he turned it down - Black Mirror is a worldwide phenomenon and could have exposed him to a massive new audience and new acting roles. I mean, massive respect for not letting down his Bristol fans but he could have rescheduled that date, surely?

#Fans4Eva

Captain Z

Quote from: giveover on April 07, 2019, 09:48:35 PM
(I noticed the Xmas special he did for Sky isn't online anywhere either, I managed to film it off the TV though.)

How did I not know about this? I was about to correct you and say the Xmas special was on BBC. Would love to see it.

Can't help much with the webcam stuff, only thing I have is the daft punk album review.

Malcy

I forgot all about the Sky Arts thing he done. Couldn't find it online at the time but you can watch it on NowTV.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Someone does need to cast Limmy in a dramatic role, he's a very gifted actor.

MrsWarboysLover

I agree, he's an amazing actor, that's half the reason he's so funny, is the emotion he can convey through little subtle facial expressions

neardark

Presumably that was an excuse but wow.

marquis_de_sad

That's mad.

Malcy

I'm sure he said he was offered another role and couldn't take that because he was busy again. His idea for a story was quite good if a bit silly. I reckon if things align he'll appear in an episode eventually

marquis_de_sad

Even though he's getting on a bit, I don't think it would take much to make him more well-known. His 'What's heavier' sketch was really popular online, for instance. Doing a big role on something like BM would be great for him.

He'll never do anything as long as Twitch keeps printing money for him.

He's an amazing talented guy but not a grafter. He's never going to work doing something stressful and difficult like acting in a big production if he's getting well paid with no effort. Not a criticism.

BritishHobo

I wouldn't be surprised if there's another opportunity for him there somewhere along the line, given that Brooker has had him on Wipes before.

Cuntbeaks

I find the relentless hyperbole surrounding Limmy on here quite amusing. Having grown up in Glasgow and much the same age as Limmy, I indentify him purely as a 'patter merchant'.

The thing about the West of Scotland is that there is an endless amount of patter merchants, so Limmy's schtick, for me anyway, is old hat and nothing special. Even more so now, now that he just drivels shite on his webcam in exchange for coin.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on April 08, 2019, 01:37:28 PM
I find the relentless hyperbole surrounding Limmy on here is quite amusing. Having grown up in Glasgow and much the same age as Limmy, indentify him purely as a 'patter merchant'.

The thing about the West of Scotland is that there is an endless amount of patter merchants, so Limmy's schtick, for me anyway, is old hat and nothing special. Even more so now, now that he just drivels shite on his webcam in exchange for coin.

I'm from West Of Scotland too though 6 years younger and I used to harbour similar scepticism about Limmys work before I properly got into it. I can see the argument to an extent that his unfiltered Glaswegianness perhaps adds a veneer of rough trade glamour to outsiders that could in theory disguise weak material but you don't have to scratch very deep into his work before it becomes apparent there's a LOT more going on there. The almost sci-fi concepts, the ambient and often hypersurreal atmospherics, the rich storytelling. the continual self questioning and character flipping. I'm shite at encapsulating his ouvre but hopefully that covers some of it.

Something significant he's managed is to be his unadulteratedly Scottish self without pandering to self-recognising and appeal narrowing parochial 'banter' comedy as perpetuated to some extent by well, most frontline Scottish/Glasgow comedy figures that preceded him. I'm not saying his every last spitball on his webcam 'work' is gold or owt but to write him off as a patter merchant and no more is way off imo.

popcorn

Just rewatched the feathers vs steel sketch. I think it exemplifies a few features I consider quite original. The ambient soundtrack, the general cleanliness and simplicity of the whole presentation (even the fonts and Limmy's T-shirt), the functional DIY feeling. It's nice!

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on April 08, 2019, 01:37:28 PM
The thing about the West of Scotland is that there is an endless amount of patter merchants, so Limmy's schtick, for me anyway, is old hat and nothing special.

i'm also from Glasgow and I disagree. Being a funny guy is a completely different thing to being a professional comedian. It's about a million times easier to make people laugh when they know and like you, outside of the context of a performance.

I know people who've made me laugh harder than any comedian, TV show or film ever could, but if you asked them to actually write material they couldn't do it. Creating entertaining characters and telling funny fictional stories is a different and much harder thing than cracking jokes in the pub.

It's true there are loads of funny people in Glasgow, but there's a reason they aren't making a living as comedians and he is.

Blinder Data

I seriously doubt that's it's as simple as him turning the role down and the producers' plan b just happened to be Will Poulter. I'm not saying he's talking shite but I bet there's more to it than that.

Poulter was great but seeing Limmy in that role would have been very interesting.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: popcorn on April 08, 2019, 02:10:20 PM
Just rewatched the feathers vs steel sketch. I think it exemplifies a few features I consider quite original. The ambient soundtrack, the general cleanliness and simplicity of the whole presentation (even the fonts and Limmy's T-shirt), the functional DIY feeling. It's nice!

Yes, completely agree.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: ComedyUnitInsider on April 08, 2019, 02:10:36 PM
i'm also from Glasgow and I disagree. Being a funny guy is a completely different thing to being a professional comedian. It's about a million times easier to make people laugh when they know and like you, outside of the context of a performance.

I know people who've made me laugh harder than any comedian, TV show or film ever could, but if you asked them to actually write material they couldn't do it. Creating entertaining characters and telling funny fictional stories is a different and much harder thing than cracking jokes in the pub.

It's true there are loads of funny people in Glasgow, but there's a reason they aren't making a living as comedians and he is.
I totally agree with you, however Limmy's professional output has never blown me away, and although well observed is rarely laugh out loud funny. The Homemade stuff was particularly poor from an, 'im paid to do this' point of view. I haven't read the autobiography, but two terrible books has shown he struggles with writing fiction.

Creating tracks live aside, the webcam stuff is pure patter merchant material, it isnt fleshed out and consists of whatever comes into his mind, which is fair enough, but to actually pay for it? So, I'm struggling to see where he goes from here to be honest.