Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:22:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Limmy on Twitter and webcam [split topic]

Started by Neil, July 30, 2011, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Cuntbeaks on April 08, 2019, 05:34:08 PM
Creating tracks live aside, the webcam stuff is pure patter merchant material, it isnt fleshed out and consists of whatever comes into his mind, which is fair enough, but to actually pay for it? So, I'm struggling to see where he goes from here to be honest.

I don't think many people see it as paying for the stream. More of a payment for years of free entertainment. That's why I donated to him anyway.

I agree there isn't really anywhere for him to go from here though. The stream is a bit of a gilded cage. He gets to do something relaxing and enjoyable for a few hours a day that doesn't just pay the bills (and then some), but also gives him constant positive reinforcement. Who could wrench themselves away from that to do something difficult and face rejection?

He'll just keep streaming until his audience dwindle away and there's just a small hardcore faithful left, paying him a grand or two a month. Which will probably be fine for him because he'll have long paid off his mortgage by then, if he hasn't already.

When he's 65 or thereabouts, the final subscriber will stop subscribing and he'll be streaming to less than 10 viewers. Daniel will be off at uni living his own life, Lynn will have left him, and the final thing he'll stream will be his own suicide. As the noose tightens around his neck, he'll think "I wish I did this years ago, when more people would care that I'd died. There's only 4 people watching this."

Hopefully not though. I hope his greatest work is ahead of him.

Twed

Quote from: ComedyUnitInsider on April 08, 2019, 06:35:34 PM
When he's 65 or thereabouts, the final subscriber will stop subscribing and he'll be streaming to less than 10 viewers.
That's only 20 years from now. Millions still remember "Hampsterdance", and that was only a few gifs and a loop.

Terryfuckwit

I don't think many people see it as paying for the stream. More of a payment for years of free entertainment. That's why I donated to him anyway.

I agree there isn't really anywhere for him to go from here though. The stream is a bit of a gilded cage. He gets to do something relaxing and enjoyable for a few hours a day that doesn't just pay the bills (and then some), but also gives him constant positive reinforcement. Who could wrench themselves away from that to do something difficult and face rejection?

He'll just keep streaming until his audience dwindle away and there's just a small hardcore faithful left, paying him a grand or two a month. Which will probably be fine for him because he'll have long paid off his mortgage by then, if he hasn't already.

When he's 65 or thereabouts, the final subscriber will stop subscribing and he'll be streaming to less than 10 viewers. Daniel will be off at uni living his own life, Lynn will have left him, and the final thing he'll stream will be his own suicide. As the noose tightens around his neck, he'll think "I wish I did this years ago, when more people would care that I'd died. There's only 4 people watching this."

Hopefully not though. I hope his greatest work is ahead of him.

fucking creepy post

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: popcorn on April 08, 2019, 02:10:20 PM
Just rewatched the feathers vs steel sketch. I think it exemplifies a few features I consider quite original. The ambient soundtrack, the general cleanliness and simplicity of the whole presentation (even the fonts and Limmy's T-shirt), the functional DIY feeling. It's nice!

I don't get it.

Hey, Punk!

I was crying through the majority of his Late Shift stream.

My favourite bit was this part:  https://youtu.be/f7pCPmVaEWc?t=6763

1:52:43 if the link doesn't work.

Dr Sanchez

I love Limmy but he has definitely chosen the quantity over quality route these days. He has a new tour every year which seems to be the same old thing rehashed and the live streams are generally just laid back chats between him and his fans with 10% or so of genuinely funny material. Although I do love a good truck simulator stream before bed.  Being a tight fucker I'd never pay of course. 

In his book he describes being recently knocked back for sitcoms from the BBC and Channel 4 so it seems he's trying to make as much cash as possible while he's in  Teleland limbo and if people are willing to lap it up then perhaps he'd be a fool to miss the opportunity.

Bronzy

I'm genuinely crying with laughter just thinking about this again.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/408118537

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on April 08, 2019, 10:38:09 PM
I was crying through the majority of his Late Shift stream.

My favourite bit was this part:  https://youtu.be/f7pCPmVaEWc?t=6763

1:52:43 if the link doesn't work.

Had me shaking with the mirths too. "I wannus to finish what we started in the bedroom..."

Twed

Watching Limmy's stupid smug face behind that wheel makes me very happy.

Hey, Punk!

Limmy telling the person using autistic as an insult to fuck off was good to watch. Didn't need to be so vocal, but he affirmed that he wanted his stream to be non-toxic, which is good even if it isn't always the case.

Dr Sanchez

I see he kicked one of his mods out of his twitch stream because he called a woman a slag.

I'm not sure if he's actually too bothered about stuff like that or he's just afraid of being cancelled.

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on April 10, 2019, 01:05:09 AM
I see he kicked one of his mods out of his twitch stream because he called a woman a slag.

I'm not sure if he's actually too bothered about stuff like that or he's just afraid of being cancelled.

He banned someone for using gay as a slur back in 2011, I genuinely think he doesn't like bigots.

DoesNotFollow

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on April 09, 2019, 01:24:41 AM
I love Limmy but he has definitely chosen the quantity over quality route these days. He has a new tour every year which seems to be the same old thing rehashed and the live streams are generally just laid back chats between him and his fans with 10% or so of genuinely funny material. Although I do love a good truck simulator stream before bed.  Being a tight fucker I'd never pay of course.

Clearly Limmy's got lots of funny ideas and patter, perhaps too much to be contained solely in time-consuming high quality products. He's needs an outlet and he's found ones that're working for him right now. Naturally it's a bit hit and miss, I just hope he enjoys it most of the time. This is what a non-superstar, working comedian looks like in our current time.

For me, some of his webcam improv stories are probably the funniest things I've seen from him*. Proper fits of laughter. Even the shite meandering ones have a humour of their own, partly because they're so unabashedly shite. That bit Hey, Punk! linked to above also gives me the right giggles - it's stupid, it's throwaway, but laughter doesn't discriminate.

*I don't watch whole streams mahself, just highlights that get put on YT so I just get that juicy 10% of funny stuff.

Captain Z

Some of those recent improv stroies have been fantastic. Just chuckling to myself remembering the one with the guy who gets to spend an evening with Cheryl Baker from Bucks Fizz.

Twed

When he's 65 or thereabouts, the final subscriber will stop subscribing and he'll be streaming to less than 10 viewers
He said on one of his most recent streams that he intends to be doing this in his 70s.

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: DoesNotFollow on April 10, 2019, 10:13:11 PM
Clearly Limmy's got lots of funny ideas and patter, perhaps too much to be contained solely in time-consuming high quality products. He's needs an outlet and he's found ones that're working for him right now. Naturally it's a bit hit and miss, I just hope he enjoys it most of the time. This is what a non-superstar, working comedian looks like in our current time.

For me, some of his webcam improv stories are probably the funniest things I've seen from him*. Proper fits of laughter. Even the shite meandering ones have a humour of their own, partly because they're so unabashedly shite. That bit Hey, Punk! linked to above also gives me the right giggles - it's stupid, it's throwaway, but laughter doesn't discriminate.

*I don't watch whole streams mahself, just highlights that get put on YT so I just get that juicy 10% of funny stuff.

I think he enjoys it all a bit too much. He alluded to getting into trouble with his partner for spending too much time away from the family and he's a gamer so I can't see him not enjoying that side of it. Although he did a stream walking through Newcastle last week and he said he didn't want to do it but his subscribers want content.

The improv stories are brilliant. I was watching the below video at 2am in bed last night and I was laughing so hard my girlfriend woke up and thought I was having a fit. He's in a league of his own for this kind of thing.

https://youtu.be/dF-soJQz1p8

Cuellar

I enjoy his gaming streams, especially the story games. Allows him to just ramble on if he wants. He was doing something pretty innocuous in a game the other night and then suddenly burst out laughing and said "I don't know if I ever told you about the time my da got jumped", and he was cracking up thinking about it.

Made me laugh.

Even the shite meandering ones have a humour of their own, partly because they're so unabashedly shite.

The first one he ever did was complete shite but it's probably my favourite. The idea is "A guy who doesn't appreciate the film Jaws but loves Deep Blue Sea." It's got no punchline, nothing happens in it, but it still makes me laugh every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwjGO8uKByU

Starts about 5 minutes in.

Ferris

Quote from: Cuellar on April 11, 2019, 10:37:01 AM
I enjoy his gaming streams, especially the story games. Allows him to just ramble on if he wants. He was doing something pretty innocuous in a game the other night and then suddenly burst out laughing and said "I don't know if I ever told you about the time my da got jumped", and he was cracking up thinking about it.

Made me laugh.

I was watching the Late Shift one and made it about 15 minutes in before I was laughing so hard I woke my son up and he started crying* and my wife was furious and we decided I shouldn't watch Limmy at bedtime any more. After a while, the idea of me laughing at something as stupid as Limmy saying "get it right up your arse - right up there" at such a wildly inappropriate time (ie the lights were off, my son was asleep about 10 feet away and it was 1am) just made the whole stupid thing even funnier.

*28 years old he is

DoesNotFollow

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on April 10, 2019, 11:34:09 PM
I think he enjoys it all a bit too much. He alluded to getting into trouble with his partner for spending too much time away from the family and he's a gamer so I can't see him not enjoying that side of it. Although he did a stream walking through Newcastle last week and he said he didn't want to do it but his subscribers want content.

True, I suppose that is the 'danger' of being a sort of web celebrity (weblebrity?) and social media/gamer type. Part of the reason I don't watch streams is that I don't really have the patience, but I also see the potential, as a viewer, of getting too heavily invested in the personality. Becoming something of a follower rather than just someone who enjoys his humour.

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: DoesNotFollow on April 11, 2019, 05:57:31 PM
True, I suppose that is the 'danger' of being a sort of web celebrity (weblebrity?) and social media/gamer type. Part of the reason I don't watch streams is that I don't really have the patience, but I also see the potential, as a viewer, of getting too heavily invested in the personality. Becoming something of a follower rather than just someone who enjoys his humour.

Yep, I think he definitely has lots of hardcore followers. Usually the type who just bombard him with his own catchphrases on twiiter or Twitch.  He said recently that it takes it out of him when he has to act amused in real life when fans come up to him and say obvious things like "hello traveller" thinking that it's not the 500th time he's heard it.

I don't feel sorry for him though because he must be raking it in.

NoOffenceLynn

I do enjoy a bit of Limmy. A friend of mine is a big fan and always sends me links to the madness on Twitter. He also suffers from depression and has had a few chats with Limmy on Twitter about that, said he comes across as very decent guy underneath the persona.

Myself, I love Dee Dee. That's a bit of comedy genius right there.

Z

Clearly Limmy's got lots of funny ideas and patter, perhaps too much to be contained solely in time-consuming high quality products.
He's a guy who initially made his name doing silly mockup things on a website and I'd say he's very much still like that. His enthusiasm probably wanes pretty quickly beyond the root of an idea and tbh if it's a case of taking dozens of times longer to only add slightly to the quality, I can understand it.

Twed

giveover

These past few days I've started watching Limmy's twitch streams and they're great, perfect background viewing. What are some of the best gaming streams he's done? (Date In The Park was superb, and yesterday's Dear Esther, I can't imagine the high octane action games like Overwatch are as fun to watch.)

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: giveover on April 14, 2019, 01:34:58 PM
What are some of the best gaming streams he's done?

I mentioned it a few days earlier, but Late Shift is pretty good. Especially when he's mocking the lead's accent.

Captain Z

I am not into games at all so I usually avoid those videos, but I chanced 'Date In The Park' and it was great, especially the spooky coincidence at the very end.

ohnocomputer

Quote from: giveover on April 14, 2019, 01:34:58 PM
I can't imagine the high octane action games like Overwatch are as fun to watch.)
I don't watch his gaming streams religiously, but Overwatch can be fun when he spends his time griefing, see

https://youtu.be/qr-nF4xHmDw?t=7350
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2Kdjhqb-_M