Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:28:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Limmy on Twitter and webcam [split topic]

Started by Neil, July 30, 2011, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

It's so funny watching Limmy being such a fan of Zafarcakes, tweeting catchphrases and in-jokes with him like his own fans do with "turned the weans against us" etc.

Thursday

I feel like we should have a thread for Zafarcakes streams, but I can't be bothered with another round of all the old's saying "I don't understand twitch, watching a man playing computer games for hours, what's all that about?!?!?!"

peanutbutter

Quote from: Thursday on July 14, 2020, 09:03:50 AM
I feel like we should have a thread for Zafarcakes streams, but I can't be bothered with another round of all the old's saying "I don't understand twitch, watching a man playing computer games for hours, what's all that about?!?!?!"
catchall twitch thread? I'd have to assume a fuckton of comics tried doing twitch things over the pandemic, a few must've had somewhat successful ideas.

Dewt

Quote from: peanutbutter on July 14, 2020, 09:45:03 AM
catchall twitch thread?
I don't want to hear about the shit streamers other people like

Puce Moment

Quote from: Thursday on July 14, 2020, 09:03:50 AMI feel like we should have a thread for Zafarcakes streams, but I can't be bothered with another round of all the old's saying "I don't understand twitch, watching a man playing computer games for hours, what's all that about?!?!?!"

As someone who only has the Twitch app to see Limmy (less so these days, I prefer Benny's uploads so I can skip through) and who has been guilty of expressing bemusement about the success of the app, I would say that some of us old cunts do actually understand it very well. We've been patiently watching people play computer games awaiting our turn for decades. There's not much to work out, and it's far from confusing. It's just something I couldn't imagine doing with anyone other than a very funny comedian. I say this as someone who accidentally clicked on Iain Stirling's Twitch stream once.

If you started a thread I don't imagine it would get threadshit by posters like me.

Retinend

This really pisses me off. Vijay was an entirely positive portrayal of an asian glaswegian; a really lovely, can-do kind of character who encounters racism and shrugs it off, preferring to see the good in people. Limmy presumably deleted the World of Glasgow series from YouTube for this reason - PM me if you want the files, y'all.

edit: I think that Sarkar was very insightful and highlighted an important issue about the imported "culture wars"/"cancel culture" thing, although I would expect that in the end the fault for these sorts of witchhunts is still more of a creation of the activist scene than it is a creation of the media hungry for clicks

chveik

a radio producer asked her about this, not activists

Puce Moment

As usual, a very thoughtful and interesting response from Limmy there.

His fans in the replies? Ummmm.... yeah, not so much.

Retinend

Quote from: chveik on July 16, 2020, 01:44:49 PM
a radio producer asked her about this, not activists

I think you misread me. I was responding to her insightful thread, not merely summarising it, hence my inclusion of the word "although".

Dewt

"But the bottom line is that I did his voice, and it isnae something I'd do now."

is the perfect response, I think

peanutbutter

Sure Limmy said on the Obra Dinn stream near 18 months ago when asked if he'd bring back World of Glasgow that he thinks it's too problematic in retrospect. He's well ready to deal with any disingenuous bullshit levelled towards him about those characters.

bgmnts

There is something about Limmy that feels utterly uncancelable to me. I don't know what it is.

Bronzy

Quote from: bgmnts on July 17, 2020, 12:47:25 AM
There is something about Limmy that feels utterly uncancelable to me. I don't know what it is.

I think it's because he's managed to pile on so many layers of irony that you're never quite sure if he's ever serious or not, so you just naturally assume he's always taking the piss. That, and the fact I don't think he is capable of feeling shame.

He created/made all of these with the knowledge that he had a young son. Even if someone did try to cancel him, 1: I don't think he would care that much and 2: It'd be almost impossible to even take anything he says out of context, as he doesn't really use (even in a ironic way) slurs or language that could be construed as racist, sexist, etc.

It's why he's so brilliant, he can come up with the most horrifically grim stories and scenarios using just the situation itself, rather than the language.

Dewt

Well mainly as well he is fundamentally decent

Bronzy

Bronzy

I mean, he clearly doesn't mind incurring the wrath of certain people and risking an attempted cancellation. The amount of Americans who completely fell for his fake WhatsApp conversation tweets and gave him abuse for them was hilariously high. Of course, it would have been a challenge to cancel someone who still isn't really known over there, they probably just thought he was some random online "prankster".

I honestly was in tears when I first saw the tweets and the reactions they got, I'm going to have to go and look at all of them again.

PlanktonSideburns

Yea I think the straight talking on this subject has saved him any bother

He knows when to do bottomless layers of irony and when to stop

He did cause a minor stir when he tweeted "I hooked the jaw of my pregnant girlfriend last night" but that was ten years ago when we didn't destroy people's careers over a dodgy joke.

Captain Z

I've been re-watching Benny Harvey's Youtube uploads (albeit 1-2 weeks behind) now he's back doing improv regularly. Not hitting the heights he has done before but this one took a swerve into some Bullseye analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AGdAxbpPBI&feature=youtu.be&t=2831

neardark

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on July 18, 2020, 01:20:13 PM
He did cause a minor stir when he tweeted "I hooked the jaw of my pregnant girlfriend last night" but that was ten years ago when we didn't destroy people's careers over a dodgy joke.

Still makes me laugh this.

mobias

I thought it was quite funny that Richard E Grant cancelled him during lockdown, then un-canclled him then cancelled him again.

peanutbutter

What was the game with the "he's a baldy!" bit? On the basis of that one clip it looks like a great stream

Pseudopath

Quote from: peanutbutter on July 23, 2020, 01:14:56 AM
What was the game with the "he's a baldy!" bit? On the basis of that one clip it looks like a great stream

I believe the game is called Contradiction: Spot The Liar! (or just Contradiction for short). Here's the first part of the full stream: https://youtu.be/QOtDmLaPExI

peanutbutter

Quote from: Pseudopath on July 23, 2020, 01:30:43 AM
I believe the game is called Contradiction: Spot The Liar! (or just Contradiction for short). Here's the first part of the full stream: https://youtu.be/QOtDmLaPExI
Cheers! looks perfect for him

Watched Zafarcakes for the first time today, didn't find it hilarious or anything but was a pretty pleasant watch so I'll stick with him a bit.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: peanutbutter on July 24, 2020, 12:02:08 AM
Cheers! looks perfect for him

Watched Zafarcakes for the first time today, didn't find it hilarious or anything but was a pretty pleasant watch so I'll stick with him a bit.

The first two Contraditcion streams aren't that great as I remember. He then had a break from it and came back, and that's when the streams are great. IIRC it's also when he first did his Charlie Burchill impression.

undeliberated

Lose World of Glasgow, gain 9million hours of watching someone play a computer game.
One of the worst trades in mercantile history.

kitsofan34

Since this seems to loosely be considered the "Recommend a twitch channel" page, I'd like to commend Blindboy's streams for being so innovative. He was sold on the platform by Limmy himself I believe, but he improvises songs to Red Dead and its really good. Two thousand watched yesterday, with no acknowledgment of subscribers, follows, bits, shoutouts, tips, much to the benefit of the stream. I suppose Limmy's streams are a lot more intimate and driven by the man's personality, feeding people's desire to be acknowledged, but I thought it was cool to see a streamer not let the expected shoutouts ruin the flow of his performance.