Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:27:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Limmy on Twitter and webcam [split topic]

Started by Neil, July 30, 2011, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

So when he does his mockery of English/Americans slagging off or struggling with the Glaswegian accent, that's actually true? I thought he was just exaggerating as I'm sure we all understand him perfectly. Or at least know that accent mockery is the lowest form of wit.

PlanktonSideburns

Yea I thought it was on par with most of the office hours interviews really

Bad improv with soundboard noises to top, aiming for so bad it's good, largely not getting there

A bit like herring, unless the interviewee bites back, or picks Tim up and carries him for the rest of the interview, like Julian clary or David mitchell does, it flounders, as the host is an energy vacuum who never tries to support the guest.

Fair play to limmy, he's the guest, it's not his job to male office hours entertaining, host should be working a bit harder

PlanktonSideburns

That's a bit unfair on herring actually - during limmy's RHLSTP, he at least has enough respect to mak3 the space to let limmy do his thing, to great effect

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 23, 2020, 03:01:39 AM
Bad improv with soundboard noises to top, aiming for so bad it's good, largely not getting there

Uh, no, it's aiming for so good it's good and hitting the target bigly.

Best podcast going.

Retinend

Tim did indeed look very bored throughout the Limmy interview. Naive fans just see what they want to see (i.e. the beginning of a beautiful friendship).

A few weeks later, this very annoying music student person, Ben Levin, appeared on the show (Office Hours); received the same sort of very cool reception by Tim; and then all his fans were all raving under the comments line saying much the same things as the deluded Limmy fans were saying: "world's colliding!" "have him back on!" "have him have a segment every week!" etc.

link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NhYPd6ttuQ&t=42m

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on August 23, 2020, 03:12:20 AM
Uh, no, it's aiming for so good it's good and hitting the target bigly.

Best podcast going.

Fratboy shite is about right. Reminds me of Morris' parodies of this kind of shock jock, noises constantly going off in the background, busy wank.
Not for me.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: bgmnts on August 23, 2020, 12:33:16 AM
So when he does his mockery of English/Americans slagging off or struggling with the Glaswegian accent, that's actually true? I thought he was just exaggerating as I'm sure we all understand him perfectly. Or at least know that accent mockery is the lowest form of wit.

Gregory's Girl had to be redubbed for release in the US.

Original scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDhH_UkNxKc
Scene for confused Americans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu6GplVgwkY

Even Leslie Halliwell's (English) Film Guide says: "Curiously diverting comedy peopled by dreamers but handicapped by impenetrable accents".  Jings!

ajsmith2

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on August 23, 2020, 10:09:18 AM
Fratboy shite is about right. Reminds me of Morris' parodies of this kind of shock jock, noises constantly going off in the background, busy wank.
Not for me.

I thought the Heidecker/Limmy tete a tete was pretty poor, but Office Hours is about as far from being some kind of frat boy locker room deal as you can get in 3 bros in a room 'posse' podcasting. Retinend did a better explanation of Tim's ultimately good natured and generous attitude than I could upthread. Still, I can totally see how you'd get that vibe from it if the rubbish Limmy segment was your only exposure to it. Not that it was atypical for the show in form but the 2 comedy styles did not gell and both parties came out looking at their worst out of it.

EDIT: actually maybe Retinends post was on the dedicated OH thread.

giveover

Quote from: ajsmith2 on August 23, 2020, 11:52:31 AM
I thought the Heidecker/Limmy tete a tete was pretty poor, but Office Hours is about as far from being some kind of frat boy locker room deal as you can get in 3 bros in a room 'posse' podcasting. Retinend did a better explanation of Tim's ultimately good natured and generous attitude than I could upthread. Still, I can totally see how you'd get that vibe from it if the rubbish Limmy segment was your only exposure to it.

I'm going to take your word on this and assume it's usually not like this. The thing is, that part about 3 minutes in where Limmy is clearly nervous, and explaining something, then that Vic prick plays some stupid jingle drowning him out, and Tim smirks and laughs at the sheer dickishness of him doing that, then quickly masks it and says something loud and overbearing to take the attention away. Thats the moment where I thought this guy is just a piece of shit, no two ways about it. No other interviewer would ever do this, Ronson, Theroux, hell even Maron wouldn't be so obnoxious. It's scummy behaviour. The whole "it's ironic" thing doesn't really fly either. If it's a prank podcast get the right targets, not actual fans of his work trying to make a good impression. Whole thing reeks of punching down.

But then again, you know TH's work better than me so I'm going to go with you and assume this was just a bad misfire. I mean, I saw Tim tweeting pleasantly to Limmy the other day, so maybe he feels bad about it. And there's the thing with Limmy dissing Tim on an old steam, so maybe that's a factor. Still though, I was astonished watching it, and I'm surprised there hasn't been more honest discussion other than BTL on YouTube.

Captain Z

I think you need to chill out. As far as I can tell, Office Hours is always like that, and I'm sure Limmy knew what to expect. It's not for me either, I can't get along with the rambling, unfocused presenting style of Office Hours, but there are obviously people who enjoy it. It's not the end of the world, I expect Limmy has just done it, drawn a line under it and moved on.

I'm a fan of Tim Heidecker but often get the impression he's just got too many projects on the go at one time to make any of them as tight and consistent as they could be.

Neomod

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on August 23, 2020, 11:07:02 AM
Gregory's Girl had to be redubbed for release in the US.

Original scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDhH_UkNxKc
Scene for confused Americans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu6GplVgwkY

Even Leslie Halliwell's (English) Film Guide says: "Curiously diverting comedy peopled by dreamers but handicapped by impenetrable accents".  Jings!

I know it's true but I always thought this was lazy bollocks. I'm from the south coast[nb]next stop Luc-sur-Mer[/nb] and Forsyth is one of my favourite directors. Never had a problem with the accents.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: bgmnts on August 23, 2020, 12:33:16 AM

It can be a bewildering accent for those not familiar, or even for someone like myself near the border. My Uncle was from Glasgow and I struggled to understand him at times, and had to translate pretty much everything he said to my American ex when she visited. But I've never really had an issue with understanding Limmy, not sure if he's toned it down for his videos or what.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: giveover on August 23, 2020, 01:43:11 PM
I'm going to take your word on this and assume it's usually not like this. The thing is, that part about 3 minutes in where Limmy is clearly nervous, and explaining something, then that Vic prick plays some stupid jingle drowning him out, and Tim smirks and laughs at the sheer dickishness of him doing that, then quickly masks it and says something loud and overbearing to take the attention away. Thats the moment where I thought this guy is just a piece of shit, no two ways about it. No other interviewer would ever do this, Ronson, Theroux, hell even Maron wouldn't be so obnoxious. It's scummy behaviour. The whole "it's ironic" thing doesn't really fly either. If it's a prank podcast get the right targets, not actual fans of his work trying to make a good impression. Whole thing reeks of punching down.

But then again, you know TH's work better than me so I'm going to go with you and assume this was just a bad misfire. I mean, I saw Tim tweeting pleasantly to Limmy the other day, so maybe he feels bad about it. And there's the thing with Limmy dissing Tim on an old steam, so maybe that's a factor. Still though, I was astonished watching it, and I'm surprised there hasn't been more honest discussion other than BTL on YouTube.

You realize that these are all comedians, right? Doing a light-hearted comedy show? The level of seriousness you are giving this is astounding.

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on August 23, 2020, 04:15:33 PM
You realize that these are all comedians, right? Doing a light-hearted comedy show? The level of seriousness you are giving this is astounding.

Shouldn't comedy be done well? Of course it's subjective but if you are going to interview guests, even on a comedy show, there is a way to do that so that you get the most out of the interview. That isn't to say I was expecting Frost/Nixon, but I found this painful and felt sorry for Limmy.

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on August 23, 2020, 04:26:44 PM
Shouldn't comedy be done well? Of course it's subjective but if you are going to interview guests, even on a comedy show, there is a way to do that so that you get the most out of the interview. That isn't to say I was expecting Frost/Nixon, but I found this painful and felt sorry for Limmy.

It was done well, but you people are missing the plot. Limmy is a pro and quickly picked up the dynamic and the style of the show by feigning awkwardness/offence for comedic value. Here's an example of John C Reilly doing the same thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oa0guN0Hs0&feature=youtu.be&t=1440

Tim never actually "interviews" anyone, he just has guests call in to essentially hang out for 10-15 minutes, which is a fair criticism of the show if that's not your thing, but I don't get the criticism that it was "painful" or unfunny.

PlanktonSideburns

Yew it'd more just lazy and low energy rather than obnoxious on purpose

Sometimes I really enjoy office hours, but an interview show it ain't.

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on August 23, 2020, 04:31:15 PM
It was done well, but you people are missing the plot. Limmy is a pro and quickly picked up the dynamic and the style of the show by feigning awkwardness/offence for comedic value. Here's an example of John C Reilly doing the same thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oa0guN0Hs0&feature=youtu.be&t=1440

Tim never actually "interviews" anyone, he just has guests call in to essentially hang out for 10-15 minutes, which is a fair criticism of the show if that's not your thing, but I don't get the criticism that it was "painful" or unfunny.

Fair enough. I'm not familiar with the show, so I accept that the interview was very much in keeping.. It just came across to me as a bit crass, at complete odds with how Limmy conducts himself.

giveover

Some of the responses have added useful context so I'm going to leave it here but it needs pointing out that "just chill out man, don't take it so serious" is a hilariously piss-thin response. Heaven forfend people should apply critical thinking to an artform they care about.

Eye-rollingly useless on a forum devoted to comedy, or indeed anything.

Puce Moment

Yeah, but really, it's definitely not worth taking it too seriously.

Retinend

Quote from: ajsmith2 on August 23, 2020, 11:52:31 AMRetinend did a better explanation of Tim's ultimately good natured and generous attitude than I could ... maybe on the dedicated OH thread.
Thanks!

and for the record it was in the dedicated OC thread: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,30097.msg4288061.html#msg4288061

Retinend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oLBV6lQ9gY&t=48m

1. a funny improv story with a twist ending

2. an insight into Limmy's POV for the eternal question "why are you doing twitch instead of Limmy's Show"? In short, it's easier.

brat-sampson

Confirmed there's a 'new' show heading to BBC Scotland soon enough, based on show B-sides and older material. All done and ready to air. From now on, it's gonna be full time Twitch streamer all the way, and I couldn't be happier for him.

His Death Stranding playthrough's going great.

Captain Z

Can't wait to see the skits that didn't make it into a season of The Limmy Show.

Malcy

I've had this sitting in my Google Drive for a while and only flicked through it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YgDnET4rdNmnYcwxvvd2lAHFy_Dg_LPgtCi1zHvuoOI/edit?usp=sharing

It's ideas for Limmy's Show that he never used. Wonder if anything from it will be used in this new thing.

Retinend

Random selection:

"Helping somebody out a taxi with their bags, hook them, kill them, simple as that."

brat-sampson

Ok, in case 'B-sides' was giving the wrong impression, or you want to hear it directly, conveniently he talks about it at almost precisely 3 hrs into this video:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/730913268

non capisco

His recent amusement at this 3-2-1 contestant's strange nervous tongue tic just killed me.

https://youtu.be/BvCTqvKPnwI?t=9055

Clownbaby

Haven't seen a lot of Office Hours but from the bits I've seen I don't rate it that much. Not seeing a lot of flair for connecting with guests, same problem as the H3 Podcast. I dunno about anyone else but I've been under the impression for a while that Tim Heidecker just isn't a massively friendly person in general. All the snippets of him interacting with people that I've seen have been  slightly cold, and I've always chalked it up to being his manner. From what I've seen he doesn't bother to throw people a bone if he's not impressed by them. Not a full on twat, but not very accommodating to other people either unless he really likes them. Something that really rubs me up wrong about Tim though is that his compliments always sound a bit sarcy. There's just an air of disinterest about him a lot of the time. I saw Limmy doing a little side-eye when Tim was jumping up and down going ''YoU'Re a fUnnY GUy!!" like ''aye mate cheers whatever'', definite flashes of annoyance on his face and I don't blame him to be honest. I think he took it all very gracefully and knew what was up, probably didn't really give a shite either way.

Back on Limmy I'm a wee bit sad he's not doing any more Show. I like his new content a lot and he's slipped into the format great but I'll miss stuff like that, sketches and characters. Seeing him explain why he doesn't want to do it makes sense though

sevendaughters

I'm not sure Limmy's forte is being a guest on talk shows to be honest, even if they're niche internet things with alt comics of the day.