Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:31:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Limmy on Twitter and webcam [split topic]

Started by Neil, July 30, 2011, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

"Working" my notice period has meant sitting at laptop and moving the mouse while watching all of Limmy's red dead redemption 2 playthrough.

Really been enjoying it, it's the right kind of game for him to natter over. Lots of funny character interaction and long spaces (riding around in the landscape etc) for him to do little monologues and ideas and stuff. Lovely stuff.

Phil_A

Remember Limmy? What He Looks Like Now Will Shock You

petril

Quote from: Phil_A on November 20, 2020, 01:05:11 PM
Remember Limmy? What He Looks Like Now Will Shock You

Cody Rhodes considers rewrite

poo

magval

Cuellar

Made the mistake of looking into the Limmy subreddit, and the discord, and all the attendant drama. Christ alive. Strange people in 'the community'.

MrMrs

give me the jist of the drama please? his fans are absolute fuvking freaks, especially the ones he talks to

Dog Botherer

yeah curious about the drama but i am absolutely fucking not investigating

Ham Bap

I've been half following the drama whilst working from home.

Believe it's been mods slagging off other mods in the 'mods discord' room.
Also in the general chat of the discord group people been putting up a lot of sexual gifs and the like.
So last week he handed the old discord over to someone else and created a new Discord mainly for game recommendations and organising online games with people.

I believe that he's had a lot of mod issues in the past on Twitch where Mods have made stuff up about other mods to get them banned, and some mods become a bit stalker-ish with him online.

If you read Reddit you'll find an ex-Mod slag off the people who he plays Dead By Deadlight with for their disingenuous over the top laughter whilst playing (it is very annoying) and being false by trying to be his best mate to get more viewers for themselves.

Anyone feel free to correct me.
Seems to be the usual online behaviour and drama.
I try and not read the Reddit or anything anymore. I just enjoy watching him play the odd game when working from home.

poo

I just like watching him play and chat. Subscribe and chuck him a few quid now and again, but have no awareness of the "community". Couldn't give a fuck.

McDead

Quote from: wooders1978 on December 08, 2020, 09:33:06 AM
I want pre-twitch limmy back

Me too. I was onboard with the New Limmy to begin with, mainly cos it seemed to make him happy, but it's all got a bit cliquey and in-jokey now, and Dead By Daylight is boring as shit to watch. His mods are all a tiresome bunch of prefects, and if I'm honest, he's lost some of his filthy edge.

Haven't watched in a few months though, maybe it's got better.

Quote from: McDead on December 08, 2020, 09:05:57 PM
Me too. I was onboard with the New Limmy to begin with, mainly cos it seemed to make him happy, but it's all got a bit cliquey and in-jokey now

Was thinking this recently, it's strange how much his twitter has changed to be like that of a regular streamer. Obviously it hasn't been Coco Jambo etc on there for a while but it's so banal most of the time

Jim_MacLaine

Jeesuus. Just had a look at that Limmy reddit and it's as petty as a fucking Boyzone fan forum.

Why are all these boys jealous of this Katercakes woman?

No wonder the man is nervous when meeting his 'fans'.

Oh and wasn't it someone from here who threatened to turn up at one of his shows and cause a scene?[nb]I could be wrong... I could be right[/nb]

Yeah Rachel from his old streams, this is the thread - reading that you'd understand why he doesn't want to go to meetups that his internet pals keep trying to initiate.

Bronzy

Quote from: MrMrs on December 08, 2020, 11:31:26 PM
what's the dirt from the reddit?

A few responses from people in his subreddit about what happened:

"As far as I can tell, a few times lately he's heard from people that the content of the server made them uncomfortable. First time, he came and told us off for posting pics of fruit that look like cocks etc, but said sexy gifs of him were still fine.

Then today he apparently woke up to some messages about how there were still people feeling uncomfortable, so he nearly nuked the server but then decided to just pass on the ownership of it and cut his ties with it - so the community could stay together without him having responsibility for any resultant drama/etc.

I don't think I've missed anything important but hopefully someone can correct me if I have."

"I wasn't in the discord to know the full extent of this but that sounds insane. Obviously not OK if people were being freaks about it, but uncomfortable because pictures of fruits?

Just take me back to the youtube/Justin.tv days when we could all actually just have a laugh without a handful of creeps taking it too seriously. I really don't want to be one of these "can't say anything nowerdays" cunts but the way shit is within Limmy's "community" is just bizarre.

Limmy was playing Death stranding and tripped in a river, a couple of people in chat say "Get BB chucked in that River", Mods start threatening people with Time outs and when Limmy asks what is happening "People are joking about Child abuse" - purposefully making it sound as bad as possible.

Fast forward maybe a week or so when he was playing Red dead, Limmy makes a joke about drowning Jack (a young child) in a river he's going past, same mods laugh.

When he was playing Red dead and had someone on the back of his horse someone commented "get him pumped", and I saw a genuine response saying "ummm, cant we not joke about sexual violence". Do this cunts even listen to Limmy's stuff?

Sorry for wall of text, just needed to express how weird the chat culture/"community" has become and why I'm put off watching (not that any cunt cares)."

"it really gives the impression that the mods are just power- mad egotistic types that are relishing being in control a bit too much. honestly i've said this before but the mods create such an uncomfortable atmosphere themselves and they're what really bring the streams down imo"

"Discord was shite anyways, tried it - not into it. Can only tolerate so much moddy-preachiness on stream let alone to actively go to discord and get even more of it. Limmy made a smart move anyways - get it nuked, no regrets"

Don't know how true some of this stuff is, but that's just a few comments on a thread about the Discord being shut down:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Limmy/comments/k4oqq5/rip_discord/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

Bronzy

Leon-C

Fucking weirdos, the Reddit lot, the Discord lot, all of them. Far too emotionally involved with some funny bloke playing video games. Thankfully, though, Limmy seems to able to keep most mention of this bollocks out of the streams.

Also...

Quote from: Bronzy on December 09, 2020, 03:48:23 AM
Just take me back to the youtube/Justin.tv days when we could all actually just have a laugh without a handful of creeps taking it too seriously

...???

poo

Retinend

At the beginning of December, an r/Limmy poster compliments Limmy on "A great week of streaming", making the back-handed compliment that "it's been really good to see a bit more variety this week." Limmy is always playing his favorite first person shooter game, Death By Daylight ("DBD") and the poster is glad to see him play something else during the week: "a bit" more variety, there.

Limmy responds, but moreso to the back-handedness of the compliment than to the compliment: he addresses complaints that he has formed a Discord "clique" around him (a word that he hates, perhaps because it is more truthful than he would like to admit):

note to poo: Discord is essentially the new Reddit

What is this clique? According to this poster (I mean the second one down), even those in the "clique", such as the American mod "Katercakes", are treated badly by Limmy:

This same poster (that second one down) also chimes in, re:"A great week of streaming", to say that he doesn't even watch the streams any more. To his surprise, Limmy decides to "call him out" (as we say these days) for hypocrisy. It is unclear, but Limmy seems to be accusing them of being as much in a clique as he should be: but a clique of jealous fans pushing a jealous agenda. Many others come out in support of the poster, and not of Limmy. Some are persuasive, but others are abusive and their comments are removed:

One week before this, in an "Ask Me Anything" that Limmy put up on r/Limmy, a disgruntled fan went into more detail about what has made them an "ex-fan", accusing Limmy of being indiscriminate in whom he appoints to the status of moderator:

My summary: fans are upset because the streams are, besides whatever entertainment value they might have, primarily worth it for the chance of getting Limmy's attention. Many fans had a taste of Limmy's attention here and there over the years, but now they feel like Limmy is getting less and less accessible. What's more, Limmy is quite obvious about who his "favourites" are (he plays the games alongside them or mods them) and this causes jealousy in those previously favoured (e.g. his own mods). Such fans, like our own Rachel did back when, act out and get banned, then appeal to Limmy to get unbanned. These people aren't going to actually leave the fandom, since they are essentially in love with Limmy, but there are going to act out and complain about "cliques" until Limmy does something about it. It seems like he did something about it: he nuked the Discord.

References
r/Limmy: "A great week of streaming"#
Public Relations Twitch broadcast from yesterday regarding the Discord drama: go to 28 minutes in

Jerzy Bondov

Fuck that. I just turn it off when it's DBD because I find it boring. Best not to get too involved in online communities except for CaB, the only good one.

Cuellar

Retinend

Quote from: Retinend on December 09, 2020, 08:08:38 AM
Public Relations Twitch broadcast from yesterday regarding the Discord drama: go to 28 minutes in

To get away from "drama" and back to "comedy", if you go to 1 hour and 5 minutes in, the improv story this time has a shocking twist: "Craig" is, for once, not the protagonist, but the antagonist.

tinner777

Quote from: McDead on December 08, 2020, 09:05:57 PM
Me too. I was onboard with the New Limmy to begin with, mainly cos it seemed to make him happy, but it's all got a bit cliquey and in-jokey now, and Dead By Daylight is boring as shit to watch. His mods are all a tiresome bunch of prefects, and if I'm honest, he's lost some of his filthy edge.

Haven't watched in a few months though, maybe it's got better.

It hasn't. Which is a shame because I loved him playing untitled goose, red dead and even among us.

Cuellar

I don't know why people (on reddit, on discord, in here) get so worked up about 'the mods'. Honestly, who cares what they do? I don't get involved in the 'chat' because it's pretty bleak.

Reading the reddit threads and looking at the discord, there seems to be a tendency to get oddly possessive over Limmy. It's probably true of most streamers I suppose, but I don't really watch anything else (apart from Bilal Zafar's football streams). The very idea of there being a 'community' centred around one person is a bit odd to me. I suppose it's like fan sites, or fan forums, in the old days but with the added dimension of live interaction with the object of veneration.

Perhaps it's a generational thing - I imagine a lot of young folk these days grew up on this sort of interactive entertainment, youtubers and twitch and so on.

Crabwalk

And all this bollocks is why being financially dependent on your relationship with your 'fans' is a bad idea that will probably end in tears.

People aren't paying for the content, they're paying for his attention, affirmation and/or approval. A mental health time bomb all round IMO.