Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:44:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Limmy on Twitter and webcam [split topic]

Started by Neil, July 30, 2011, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

There's a gap in the market, o enterprising, jobless lurkers.

Chollis

This channel is decent too, and seems to be more active with posting vids recently:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC53jLQgJEo-E08snHiAvliw/videos

Retinend

Is it a new thread soon? They should go in the OP.

TheQueensboroBridge

The highlight videos are definitely the way to watch his Twitch stuff. Ever since he moved to that platform its been a blessing and curse as far as the content goes. I'm pleased he's found an audience there and hopefully making some decent cash but the quality is all over the place so I cannot be arsed watching live anymore.
It's the nature of the beast with that sort of thing but it's made him less funny as there's always a feeling he's pandering to the chat and subscribers instead of just being himself.
His older streams on Youtube and the earlier ones on Twitch, like the Minecraft ones, Firewatch and the Life is Strange playthrough which is easily one of the best things he's ever done felt like he had a bit more freedom.
I did think there was something slightly sad about a writer of Limmy's quality being reduced to a performing monkey on Twitch and it had a bit of 'Dad at the school disco' about it but based on how bad his last couple of TV specials were maybe he knows it's the best place for him.

Two Headed Sex Beast

Quote from: Retinend on May 06, 2021, 08:24:10 PM
Benny Harvey RIP would make a subscriber out of me if he did something like that. I'd appreciate a sort of weekly digest of the streams. Sort of like an ersatz Limmy's Show.

On YouTube, Limmy only issues tiny clips of 2 or 3 minutes.  it's like he still pines for Vine. Why not use a longer format? Most streamers are regularly uploading lengthy episodes from their streams.

I think he's mentioned before that he just can't be arsed doing it, basically. Twitch has VoD and clips which archive stuff anyway and he's mentioned he's very happy for Benny Harvey to keep doing it on YouTube (even encouraged them to monetize it if they want)

Retinend

I can recommend Limmy's streams of the popular "Werewolf"-esque web game "Among Us" with his Scottish gamer friends (no Katercakes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnn74ZokKaY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrYPkj1fIV8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b3kx-k4Sqw

I wish they had gone on playing it, but sadly it was only for these three instances AFAIK.

To anyone who plays this game (I never have): is there a "curse of knowledge" thing going on, or are the group really bad at the "discussion" rounds on the whole? It seems like they never bother to notice who is staying quiet - and if you are the imposter you would naturally stay quiet and hope noone notices, surely.

petril

but everyone else know that staying quiet and hoping you won't be noticed is the obvious tactic...

Retinend

That's my point, I think - in the games he plays, the killers are usually the ones not saying anything and it's weird to me how they never suspect the quiet ones.

Retinend

I'm speaking out of unfamiliarity with them. They sound like a bunch of teenagers. By how they interact, it seems like he plays with them often.

petril

Quote from: Retinend on May 08, 2021, 11:26:49 PM
That's my point, I think - in the games he plays, the killers are usually the ones not saying anything and it's weird to me how they never suspect the quiet ones.

my point, from experience of those types of games is that everyone catches on to that, so if silence is suspisicious everyone slowly starts talking more and drawing attention to things, so it becomes about trying to work out who's being genuine and who's not. and tendencies that build up over time when playing

Retinend

Yeah that makes sense. It's just that they didn't really do that (view silence as suspicious)- and as a result they rarely survive. If I were playing it, I would propose to the group that everyone has to give a give a quick summary of what they were doing, where, and who they saw there. Basically they weren't playing it very strategically, is my point.

edit: then again, in one of the vids above that I'm watching, they seem to be mostly winning, so maybe they're doing it just fine.

Enzo

Quote from: TheQueensboroBridge on May 06, 2021, 11:31:21 PM
The highlight videos are definitely the way to watch his Twitch stuff. Ever since he moved to that platform its been a blessing and curse as far as the content goes. I'm pleased he's found an audience there and hopefully making some decent cash but the quality is all over the place so I cannot be arsed watching live anymore.
It's the nature of the beast with that sort of thing but it's made him less funny as there's always a feeling he's pandering to the chat and subscribers instead of just being himself.
His older streams on Youtube and the earlier ones on Twitch, like the Minecraft ones, Firewatch and the Life is Strange playthrough which is easily one of the best things he's ever done felt like he had a bit more freedom.
I did think there was something slightly sad about a writer of Limmy's quality being reduced to a performing monkey on Twitch and it had a bit of 'Dad at the school disco' about it but based on how bad his last couple of TV specials were maybe he knows it's the best place for him.

For me, it's just handy to have in the background while working from home. Don't have to pay too much attention to it, but do get to enjoy the youtube flights of fancy etc which are generally great. I'd say the same for David Earl's cricket streams

Retinend

That's a really good comeback for generally condescending anglo-american "ooh that's a strong accent you've got, isn't it!" patter.

Scottish is pretty hard to understand, though. Let's be honest. The pronunciations are wild. "Horn" for "hand"?[nb]Not to throw him under the bus, necessarily, but I'm reminded of my dad's conviction that scousers were "putting on" their accent (we were living in mid-Lancashire). I was highly dubious. I also didn't understand "how". He seemed to imply that they did it just to be special[/nb]

Retinend

ProvanFan

Quote from: Retinend on May 09, 2021, 04:27:47 PM
That's a really good comeback for generally condescending anglo-american "ooh that's a strong accent you've got, isn't it!" patter.

Scottish is pretty hard to understand, though. Let's be honest. The pronunciations are wild. "Horn" for "hand"?[nb]Not to throw him under the bus, necessarily, but I'm reminded of my dad's conviction that scousers were "putting on" their accent (we were living in mid-Lancashire). I was highly dubious. I also didn't understand "how". He seemed to imply that they did it just to be special[/nb]

Haun, not fucking 'horn'.

canadagoose

I often forget Limmy uses quite a lot of Scots words in his Twitch streams. He seems to get away with it, mostly. Not that it's wrong or anything.

dr_christian_troy

I sent a sincere message today and he read it out and seemed genuinely pleased that I was saying that I was enjoying the stream, and then of course in the chat there was an abundance of nasty cunts calling me a sycophant and a brown noser.

Quote from: canadagoose on May 10, 2021, 05:00:03 PM
I often forget Limmy uses quite a lot of Scots words in his Twitch streams. He seems to get away with it, mostly. Not that it's wrong or anything.

He's pittin it oan.

His real-life speaking voice and accent is uncannily similar to that of Terry-Thomas.

Enzo

Thought there was an interesting bit of a kerfuffle in the chat this morning.

People started to complain about sexism in the chat in regards a female character in the game he was playing. Limmy stopped the game and started to speak about how it was wrong and people should be mindful of offending anybody else with their words, whether intentional or not in the chat.

So far, so good. Can't really complain about that, but the next interaction seemed a bit hypocritical to me.

Some chatters mentioned that Limmy's gratuitous use of the word "cunt" could be offensive, intentionally or not, to someone viewing and that this clashed with his previous statement. He then went on a bit of a rant that his use of the word "Cunt" is fine because it is used culturally in Scotland to describe an idiot and nothing to do with a woman. When someone pointed out that that didn't tally with what he had said earlier about offending someone unintentionally he had them banned from the chat. I wonder if on reflection he might reconsider his words in the future.

I don't disagree with what he says about his use of the word "cunt" and would have the same view on other words such as "twat", which culturally have very little to do with women's genitalia these days. If you're going to opine on watching your words in case of offending anybody then it's going to become pretty tedious though.

This probably makes little sense, but I thought it brought up something interesting on use of words and their meaning.

Cuellar

Yeah, I feel like there is sort of a point about bandying the word 'cunt' around willy nilly, but I take his point about the way the word is used in Scotland and he doesn't mean it in an offensive or misogynist way.

That being said I'm pretty sure the person who brought it up was just trolling.

Barry Admin

Holy shit, just noticed this thread is 10 years old!

Jerzy Bondov

I don't think Limmy should have to play by the same rules as the people in his chat. He's funny and they're (and I'm including me in this) not.

MrMrs

the cunt argument makes no sense, it's completely misogynistic and he doesn't solely have a fucking scottish audience

Cuellar