Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 12:22:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Limmy on Twitter and webcam [split topic]

Started by Neil, July 30, 2011, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

Quote from: MrMrs on May 11, 2021, 04:22:32 PM
the cunt argument makes no sense, it's completely misogynistic and he doesn't solely have a fucking scottish audience
Totally agree. The same goes for black people using the N-word. If it sounds offensive to me, it's offensive, end of story.

fit bird

This Lumberjack Dynasty game he's been playing has made for some great streams. It's such a mad game and he's in his element with it. Lovely stuff.

neardark

Literally only ever heard men say that cunt is misogynistic.

Not sure if MrMrs is a man. Hard to tell from the username.

ProvanFan

His "you are a fucking cunt" xylophone was the first Limmy thing I ever saw.

Couldn't make a xylophone like that these days. Because Flash is dead.

ProvanFan

Quote from: MrMrs on May 11, 2021, 04:22:32 PM
the cunt argument makes no sense, it's completely misogynistic

I'll inform my mum

Thosworth

Quote from: ProvanFan on June 02, 2021, 06:31:43 PM
His "you are a fucking cunt" xylophone was the first Limmy thing I ever saw.

Couldn't make a xylophone like that these days. Because Flash is dead.

No idea where I heard it, but I remember in an interview he mentioned he'd re-written it in html5, so indeed you could. His website redirects to Twitch, but I found a version here. No idea if it's the real thing, or a fan copy: https://daftlimmy.github.io/Swearing-Xylophone/

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Rizla on May 11, 2021, 04:41:05 PM
Totally agree. The same goes for black people using the N-word. If it sounds offensive to me, it's offensive, end of story.

To be fair, that's not really the same since it's not a slur directed purely at Scottish people. You'd have more of a point if he was a woman.

Not that it bothers me at all, mind you, I think it's a beautifully versatile word that flows fairly naturally as part of my vocabulary, but I've got to be careful about using it out here in that America because it's nowhere near as commonplace and still packs a punch - a "gendered" one at that. Not sure HR would buy "everyone in the UK uses it" as much of an excuse, so I imagine the same goes for Americans watching Limmy's streams.

One of those strange cultural divides.

canadagoose

"Cunt" honestly isn't misogynistic when it's used this side of the Atlantic. Fed up of Americans going "actually you can't say that, it's bad in my country" and yet they keep using "poof" to mean things appearing magically.

Jerzy Bondov

There's a film on Disney Plus called "The Poof Point" and yet they won't even read my script for "Mickey Mouse Cunts a Cunt's Head"

petril

Quote from: canadagoose on June 02, 2021, 08:35:06 PM
"Cunt" honestly isn't misogynistic when it's used this side of the Atlantic. Fed up of Americans going "actually you can't say that, it's bad in my country" and yet they keep using "poof" to mean things appearing magically.

I mean, the flippant response "actually you can't say that, it's bad in my country" is just to call that xenophobia. but that's petty and childish

ProvanFan

Quote from: Thosworth on June 02, 2021, 07:31:27 PM
No idea where I heard it, but I remember in an interview he mentioned he'd re-written it in html5, so indeed you could. His website redirects to Twitch, but I found a version here. No idea if it's the real thing, or a fan copy: https://daftlimmy.github.io/Swearing-Xylophone/

You wouldn't let it lie, would ya?

Nice to play it again though.

Quote from: canadagoose on June 02, 2021, 08:35:06 PM

I think it's tricky, as the word has evolved to be almost completely detached from it's biological meaning, when I hear it I no longer even think of the gendered description/insult. But it's tricky as if Limmy is saying "it's not sexist because it's not meant as a sexist thing, it's just used as a general negative insult" then it reminds me of people I've known throughout my life who have defended using the words 'gay' and 'faggot' as pejoratives with "I don't mean it in a homophobic way, I'm just using a word commonly associated with it to describe literally anything negative, it's fine!" which is a bit iffy...

thugler

Quote from: thelittlemango on June 03, 2021, 06:03:37 PM
I think it's tricky, as the word has evolved to be almost completely detached from it's biological meaning, when I hear it I no longer even think of the gendered description/insult. But it's tricky as if Limmy is saying "it's not sexist because it's not meant as a sexist thing, it's just used as a general negative insult" then it reminds me of people I've known throughout my life who have defended using the words 'gay' and 'faggot' as pejoratives with "I don't mean it in a homophobic way, I'm just using a word commonly associated with it to describe literally anything negative, it's fine!" which is a bit iffy...

It's not always in a negative sense though, it's used in a inert way as well: anycunt, this cunt etc. Too late for it to be gotten rid of I think anyway.

Quote from: thugler on June 03, 2021, 07:22:05 PM
It's not always in a negative sense though, it's used in a inert way as well: anycunt, this cunt etc. Too late for it to be gotten rid of I think anyway.

I agree with you, same with how Australians use it, I was just referring to what someone earlier in the thread said Limmy's reasoning was ("it's just another word for idiot").

Retinend

It's not a silly argument. When Americans hear the word they have an unpleasant misogynistic associaton in their head. It's exactly analogous with the aforementioned mate who uses "faggot" as a pejorative and claims that it's just the way he talks and that you should just deal with it. The difference is that that mate is probably being disingenuous whereas Scottish people are being sincere. One might say that Americans should just wise up to this. But since we live in an international English speaking world, Scottish people should wise up when speaking to international audiences. Not because I say so, but because it invites misunderstandings.

ProvanFan

I wouldn't say pejorative use of a word is exactly analogous with sometimes pejorative/sometimes punctuative/sometimes affectionate use of a word.

Retinend

Yeah, that's true. Scottish "cunt" can be affectionate whereas the other word not so much.

Chedney Honks

Not everything has to change to accommodate the globalist homogeneity.

chveik

JCR

According to OSW review, YouTube has decided cunt is as bad as the n word or homophobic slurs. Videos now being suppressed, because Google can't make money off them. Bad news for Limmy

MrMrs

the right call, great stuff, let's move on from this horrible misogynist term

madhair60

madhair60

i told my gf she can't call her cunt her cunt anymore and she hit me in the eye :(

edit: jk i don't have a gf. obviously. who would want to be with me

ProvanFan

Tell Americans they can't say 'chug' anymore. See how they like it.

colacentral

Cunt is interchangeable with cock, arse and tit. It's not the gender that the cunt is attached to that's the important part, it's the fact that it's rude and smelly.

Calling things "gay" is different because it's not interchangeable as an insult with "straight." You're calling things gay because homosexual things are soft, weak, lame etc.

Case closed.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: colacentral on June 25, 2021, 01:33:45 PM
Cunt is interchangeable with cock, arse and tit. It's not the gender that the cunt is attached to that's the important part, it's the fact that it's rude and smelly.

Calling things "gay" is different because it's not interchangeable as an insult with "straight." You're calling things gay because homosexual things are soft, weak, lame etc.

Case closed.

I called things my dad did "Gay" and yes it was problematic for a time trying to change my attitude to such a blanket term, but for the most part I called what he did "Gay" because he was sucking dudes off at Wetherby services.

jobotic

You throw like a girl - not okay

You throw like a cunt - very good

You throw like a penis - doesn't really work

You throw like a bell-end - better but cunt is superior