Author Topic: Limmy on Twitter and webcam [split topic]  (Read 428982 times)

Rizla

• That's not another knife - THIS is another knife!
Re: Limmy on Twitter and webcam [split topic]
« Reply #2760 on: May 11, 2021, 04:41:05 PM »
the cunt argument makes no sense, it's completely misogynistic and he doesn't solely have a fucking scottish audience
Totally agree. The same goes for black people using the N-word. If it sounds offensive to me, it's offensive, end of story.

fit bird

• fit bird
« Reply #2761 on: June 02, 2021, 02:06:58 PM »
This Lumberjack Dynasty game he's been playing has made for some great streams. It's such a mad game and he's in his element with it. Lovely stuff.

« Reply #2762 on: June 02, 2021, 05:20:10 PM »
Literally only ever heard men say that cunt is misogynistic.

Not sure if MrMrs is a man. Hard to tell from the username.

« Reply #2763 on: June 02, 2021, 06:31:43 PM »
His "you are a fucking cunt" xylophone was the first Limmy thing I ever saw.

Couldn't make a xylophone like that these days. Because Flash is dead.

« Reply #2764 on: June 02, 2021, 06:35:14 PM »
the cunt argument makes no sense, it's completely misogynistic

I'll inform my mum

« Reply #2765 on: June 02, 2021, 07:31:27 PM »
His "you are a fucking cunt" xylophone was the first Limmy thing I ever saw.

Couldn't make a xylophone like that these days. Because Flash is dead.

No idea where I heard it, but I remember in an interview he mentioned he'd re-written it in html5, so indeed you could. His website redirects to Twitch, but I found a version here. No idea if it's the real thing, or a fan copy: https://daftlimmy.github.io/Swearing-Xylophone/

Noodle Lizard

• Golden Member
« Reply #2766 on: June 02, 2021, 08:18:53 PM »
Totally agree. The same goes for black people using the N-word. If it sounds offensive to me, it's offensive, end of story.

To be fair, that’s not really the same since it’s not a slur directed purely at Scottish people. You’d have more of a point if he was a woman.

Not that it bothers me at all, mind you, I think it’s a beautifully versatile word that flows fairly naturally as part of my vocabulary, but I’ve got to be careful about using it out here in that America because it’s nowhere near as commonplace and still packs a punch - a “gendered” one at that. Not sure HR would buy “everyone in the UK uses it” as much of an excuse, so I imagine the same goes for Americans watching Limmy’s streams.

One of those strange cultural divides.

canadagoose

• inoperable brain bum hole
« Reply #2767 on: June 02, 2021, 08:35:06 PM »
"Cunt" honestly isn't misogynistic when it's used this side of the Atlantic. Fed up of Americans going "actually you can't say that, it's bad in my country" and yet they keep using "poof" to mean things appearing magically.

Jerzy Bondov

• best not bother
    • righto so ive got five minutes off work and uh yeah im gonna have a cheeky volvic
« Reply #2768 on: June 02, 2021, 08:44:13 PM »
There’s a film on Disney Plus called “The Poof Point” and yet they won’t even read my script for “Mickey Mouse Cunts a Cunt’s Head”

petrilTanaka

• Are we counting shites?
« Reply #2769 on: June 02, 2021, 09:12:37 PM »
"Cunt" honestly isn't misogynistic when it's used this side of the Atlantic. Fed up of Americans going "actually you can't say that, it's bad in my country" and yet they keep using "poof" to mean things appearing magically.

I mean, the flippant response "actually you can't say that, it's bad in my country" is just to call that xenophobia. but that's petty and childish

« Reply #2770 on: June 02, 2021, 10:16:26 PM »
No idea where I heard it, but I remember in an interview he mentioned he'd re-written it in html5, so indeed you could. His website redirects to Twitch, but I found a version here. No idea if it's the real thing, or a fan copy: https://daftlimmy.github.io/Swearing-Xylophone/

You wouldn't let it lie, would ya?

Nice to play it again though.

« Reply #2771 on: June 03, 2021, 06:03:37 PM »

I think it's tricky, as the word has evolved to be almost completely detached from it's biological meaning, when I hear it I no longer even think of the gendered description/insult. But it's tricky as if Limmy is saying "it's not sexist because it's not meant as a sexist thing, it's just used as a general negative insult" then it reminds me of people I've known throughout my life who have defended using the words 'gay' and 'faggot' as pejoratives with "I don't mean it in a homophobic way, I'm just using a word commonly associated with it to describe literally anything negative, it's fine!" which is a bit iffy...

« Reply #2772 on: June 03, 2021, 07:22:05 PM »
I think it's tricky, as the word has evolved to be almost completely detached from it's biological meaning, when I hear it I no longer even think of the gendered description/insult. But it's tricky as if Limmy is saying "it's not sexist because it's not meant as a sexist thing, it's just used as a general negative insult" then it reminds me of people I've known throughout my life who have defended using the words 'gay' and 'faggot' as pejoratives with "I don't mean it in a homophobic way, I'm just using a word commonly associated with it to describe literally anything negative, it's fine!" which is a bit iffy...

It's not always in a negative sense though, it's used in a inert way as well: anycunt, this cunt etc. Too late for it to be gotten rid of I think anyway.

« Reply #2773 on: June 03, 2021, 07:51:44 PM »
It's not always in a negative sense though, it's used in a inert way as well: anycunt, this cunt etc. Too late for it to be gotten rid of I think anyway.

I agree with you, same with how Australians use it, I was just referring to what someone earlier in the thread said Limmy's reasoning was ("it's just another word for idiot").

Retinend

• Golden Member
  • gettit done gettit on gettit done when you do it
    • I AM A CUCK (documentary)
« Reply #2774 on: June 03, 2021, 08:01:08 PM »
It's not a silly argument. When Americans hear the word they have an unpleasant misogynistic associaton in their head. It's exactly analogous with the aforementioned mate who uses "faggot" as a pejorative and claims that it's just the way he talks and that you should just deal with it. The difference is that that mate is probably being disingenuous whereas Scottish people are being sincere. One might say that Americans should just wise up to this. But since we live in an international English speaking world, Scottish people should wise up when speaking to international audiences. Not because I say so, but because it invites misunderstandings.

« Reply #2775 on: June 03, 2021, 08:21:50 PM »
I wouldn't say pejorative use of a word is exactly analogous with sometimes pejorative/sometimes punctuative/sometimes affectionate use of a word.

Retinend

• Golden Member
  • gettit done gettit on gettit done when you do it
    • I AM A CUCK (documentary)
« Reply #2776 on: June 03, 2021, 08:24:08 PM »
Yeah, that's true. Scottish "cunt" can be affectionate whereas the other word not so much.

« Reply #2777 on: June 03, 2021, 09:25:40 PM »
Not everything has to change to accommodate the globalist homogeneity.

chveik

• OPEN THE PUBS BOYS
« Reply #2778 on: June 03, 2021, 11:27:19 PM »
americans are soft cunts

« Reply #2779 on: June 17, 2021, 05:55:11 PM »
Love Limmy's "cantankerous Yank" character showing up when he played Frog Detective.

« Reply #2780 on: June 17, 2021, 11:50:12 PM »
According to OSW review, YouTube has decided cunt is as bad as the n word or homophobic slurs. Videos now being suppressed, because Google can’t make money off them. Bad news for Limmy

« Reply #2781 on: June 17, 2021, 11:51:53 PM »
the right call, great stuff, let's move on from this horrible misogynist term

madhair60

• わたしは価値がないと感じます
  • Golden Member
  • ほっといてくれ
    • Comics, videos, podcasts, writing, etc
« Reply #2782 on: June 18, 2021, 12:00:35 AM »
censoring the word cunt is racist

« Reply #2783 on: June 18, 2021, 12:07:54 AM »
normal thing to say

madhair60

• わたしは価値がないと感じます
  • Golden Member
  • ほっといてくれ
    • Comics, videos, podcasts, writing, etc
« Reply #2784 on: June 18, 2021, 12:13:30 AM »
i told my gf she can't call her cunt her cunt anymore and she hit me in the eye :(

edit: jk i don't have a gf. obviously. who would want to be with me

« Reply #2785 on: June 18, 2021, 12:22:36 AM »
Tell Americans they can't say 'chug' anymore. See how they like it.

Captain Z

• Die Hard or Die Tryin'
« Reply #2786 on: June 18, 2021, 10:35:36 AM »
Can't say anything these days