Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:32:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Limmy on Twitter and webcam [split topic]

Started by Neil, July 30, 2011, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomod

I think Limmy fans like myself with no time to watch streams need gatekeepers with good taste.

Are Benny Harvey and LimmyTwitchClips any good? I thought Benny only put up the whole stream.

Captain Z

Benny has very recently been cutting out all the improv stories and uploading them into one giant playlist, which is perfect for me. He's also good for indexing the separate chat/story/games section of each stream. LimmyTwitchClips seems quite handy too but I'm heavily reliant on people here to keep highlighting other funny bits.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on August 05, 2021, 10:55:51 AM
You seem to be projecting a lot of stuff here.

Read: everything they are saying. Every single word is about their situation, not Limmy's.

Jerzy Bondov

This account was doing some really good Best Of compilations but he seems to have stopped now

Dog Botherer

sorry wasn't aware i was posting evidence of Limmy's imminent suicide, will post less depressing??? clips in future.

odd cunt that was.

Chedney Honks

It's also notable that the funniest stuff he ever did was the live streams to camera. The TV stuff was good albeit patchy but relatively little of it was on the same level as the best YT stuff.

Personally, I don't watch the streams but I would watch again if he did his improv type evenings, like the older YT stuff. I didn't watch the last series/show/whatever he did for TV. I don't think that's his forte.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Chedney Honks on August 05, 2021, 05:45:41 PM
It's also notable that the funniest stuff he ever did was the live streams to camera. The TV stuff was good albeit patchy but relatively little of it was on the same level as the best YT stuff.

Personally, I don't watch the streams but I would watch again if he did his improv type evenings, like the older YT stuff. I didn't watch the last series/show/whatever he did for TV. I don't think that's his forte.

he does at least 5 improvs a week on Twitch, one at the start of every daily stream normally. playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_DoFwR8mt8ux_b0Cs4IblwE4l1zIIAum

chveik

with his current popularity, i'm pretty sure he could get some of that silly netflix money, if he wanted to. no need to bother with the bbc cunts

Chollis

Quote from: Chedney Honks on August 05, 2021, 05:45:41 PM

yeah. I'm guessing we're in a minority on CaB but my favourite stuff of his has been his Vine/Youtube/Twitch stuff. as bgmnts says he can make almost anything funny, he's one of the most naturally funny people I can think of, so I'm happy to watch him just ad-libbing stuff, improv stories, fucking around on games, making up songs and commentating on stupid YouTube vids. the scripted stuff on Limmy's Show and his other TV work i find a really mixed bag, i'm not convinced it's his strength either.

Retinend

A rare example of Limmy getting actually emotional as he listens to a devastating review of his book on radio 4: https://youtu.be/bltQ07N6HxQ

AllisonSays

I like the first Lloyd Cole record but he comes off as an utter, utter wanker there, fuck me.

Neomod

Quote from: AllisonSays on August 06, 2021, 07:31:59 AM
I like the first Lloyd Cole record but he comes off as an utter, utter wanker there, fuck me.

I too enjoy Cole's oeuvre but he's always struck me as thoroughly humourless as a person.

monkfromhavana

All 3 of them come across as total cunts.

kevinq

There's an extended version where he goes on to respond in more detail after listening (and looks up negative reviews of Lloyd Cole's last album out of spite):
https://youtu.be/YNq7-SWrcHU

Retinend

It's an interesting question, whether or not the book stands on its own two feet. Personally, I love Limmy and I know what his voice sounds like and his whole ouevre and so on. But if someone had no idea who Limmy was, and then had to literally read his autobiography, then can you blame them for not enjoying it, and slightly resenting the author for the thankless task?  What we found refreshingly honest might just have come across as oversharing, or self-centred. They're just missing the context, which they can't really be blamed for.

AllisonSays

I think you can not enjoy it, of course. I haven't even read it, because I find what I have read of Limmy's written stuff to be slightly less good iterations of the brilliant new Scottish writing of the '80s and '80s, particularly James Kelman, who's one of my favourite writers; that might be an unfair or a superficial impression but it's one that I found hard to shake off. But there's no need to be so sniffy about it, and it comes across as a deliberately unempathetic attempt at reading on their parts.

Also, like, if someone asked me to read a book and talk about it on Radio 4 I'd probably do a wee bit of research as well as reading the book, because it's on national radio and that.

An tSaoi

Quote from: monkfromhavana on August 06, 2021, 08:43:32 AM
All 3 of them come across as total cunts.

That bit when she says "He has a certain kind of intelligence" is blatant patronising snobbery.

Chollis

is his book any good then? might get it

An tSaoi

Some of it is very good. It's extremely candid. He describes his juvenile crimes and subsequent mental health problems in an astonishingly frank way. He never begs for sympathy and never excuses (or even explains) his actions. You never feel like he's bragging about his bizarre exploits. He seems as baffled by some of his behaviour as the reader would be.

Paraphrasing: "I was on the bus, and I saw this guy that maybe I fancied, so I got off at the same stop. He came up to me, and I stabbed myself in the belly and started greetin', and he ran away. I don't know why I did that.". That's the level of matter-of-fact honesty.

That said, my least favourite chapter was when he lists (anonymously) what seems like every sex partner he's had, and what a complete failure he was in bed. TMI.

Jerzy Bondov

The chapter where he falls out with his flatmate over the telly is one of the funniest things he's written I think. So petty.

Cuellar

The anecdote about him getting into an actual fistfight with his boss at some after work drinks made me laugh.

An tSaoi

I love his admission that if Lynn ever leaves him, he'll never have sex again, and he'll never find someone who could put up with him.

wooders1978

But the reality is that any of the sycophants on his twitch chat would drop trou on his command

An tSaoi

I think the problem is more on his end (oo-er).

peanutbutter

I listened to the audiobook and I'd say that's the way to go. Would struggle to imagine it being anything other than a bit relentless as a book in terms of how its written but it was a good listen and I think about some of the stuff he covered often enough, to the point I could relisten to it some time.

Retinend

Quote from: AllisonSays on August 06, 2021, 12:30:07 PM
I think you can not enjoy it, of course. I haven't even read it, because I find what I have read of Limmy's written stuff to be slightly less good iterations of the brilliant new Scottish writing of the '80s and '80s, particularly James Kelman, who's one of my favourite writers; that might be an unfair or a superficial impression but it's one that I found hard to shake off. But there's no need to be so sniffy about it, and it comes across as a deliberately unempathetic attempt at reading on their parts.

I second the Kelman recommendation. Someone on here recommended "The Burn" back around 2011 and I read it and loved it. I bumped into him in an elevator once, talking about his book "Mo Said She Was Quirky" with a literary agent in Penguin books HQ, where I was an intern at the time.

Limmy's writing is absolutely comparable to his, I reckon. I think it has a lot of literary value, regardless of what Cole et al believe.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: MoreauVasz on August 05, 2021, 09:58:16 AM
Wanting nothing more from life than to sit in the dark and play video games whilst making the lowest effort jokes imaginable certainly suggests that you might not be in the best of places psychologically.

I can understand when teenagers or people with meaningless jobs do it, I can even understand it when people who do other things also stream as a way of building their audience and making a bit of extra cash on the side but to go from single-handedly producing memorable TV programmes to 'ooh... I'll drag the bodies about a bit in Skyrim that' ll do' suggests that something might be wrong and that he might need help.

Is that all of his life or just the bit ee see on twitch

Guys got wife and kids, inst that enough?

Retinend

It's funny how, with entertainers, we have the expectation that, if they have talent, they should do creative work forever.

John Lennon stopped working for 4 years and it seemed like a lifetime, and a "comeback" when he made a new record. No one cared when Pete Best became a civil servant.