Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:24:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Limmy on Twitter and webcam [split topic]

Started by Neil, July 30, 2011, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-O-W-L

She's turned the weans against us, weans against us.

An tSaoi

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: An tSaoi on September 27, 2021, 03:29:02 PM
That's what it's like trying to listen to his stream now. It takes half an hour to tell a three minute anecdote, between thanking people, arguing with people, getting distracted by some memory of Top of the Pops, finding the video on YouTube, going through it frame by frame, going back to the game, thanking more people, trying to remember what he was saying etc. Is that what OCD feels like?

And he says everything twice. He says everything fuckin' twice.

Limmy Two-Times
This is exactly how I feel, cheers.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: An tSaoi on September 27, 2021, 03:52:06 PM
A perfect start to page 100.

Aye. Felt a little tingle when I saw it go through on the new page.

chveik

i still watch highlights from his streams on youtube and he can still be funny as fuck.

An tSaoi

That's the frustrating bit. He's got the same talent he always had, but it's being constantly interrupted by hecklers, basically. Hecklers who pay to heckle, virtually.

H-O-W-L

I don't think he's lost it but I think the format is hot buttered bollocks and I've nae interest in it anymore. I would much rather (and would straight up chip in for) another series of Homemade Show or the like.

Captain Z

As much as I watch bits of him, I've not actually looked at Limmy's own Twitch/Youtube/Twitter for ages. My Youtube algorithm knows to just feed me the isolated improv stories, analysis of adverts/pop culture, reaction clips, etc from Limmytwitchclipsplus, Benny Harvey and Benny's Basement.

keir

Quote from: An tSaoi on September 27, 2021, 03:29:02 PM
That's what it's like trying to listen to his stream now. It takes half an hour to tell a three minute anecdote, between thanking people, arguing with people, getting distracted by some memory of Top of the Pops, finding the video on YouTube, going through it frame by frame, going back to the game, thanking more people, trying to remember what he was saying etc. Is that what OCD feels like?

And he says everything twice. He says everything fuckin' twice.

Limmy Two-Times

There was someone else whose YouTube content I liked, and I tried one of their streams once, and this was the problem, it was basically a stream of them thanking people for money with a game in the background. And they kept not understanding what was going on because they were busy doing the bantz with chat while someone in the game was telling them some plot point.

There's someone else I used to watch sometimes, they were basically nowhere near as entertaining, but they'd mastered all that stuff, they mostly ignored everyone and focussed on the game and then had little breaks regularly to interact with people and thank them for money. A lot more bearable.

H-O-W-L

Probably the best game-and-interaction streamer I've seen is Jerma985. That guy is legitimately a master of patter and audience interaction and really good at making himself into the joke rather than randomly picking on people or the like. I legitimately think that Jerma is the kind of entertainer Limmy tries to be on-stream but honestly his humor's a bit too vitriolic and cruel at times to be in that direction. Jerma is always the figure of fun, and always the butt of every joke, and is unashamed to make personae and very specific identities that are clearly not him. The fact that the biggest running joke around Jerma is that he's an insane psychopath wanted in every American state should tell you volumes about the genuine warmth and enjoyment he gets from interacting with his audience, whereas conversely you do get the vibe that there are plenty of nights where Limmy doesn't want to fucking deal with the fandom and wants to do something more grounded, but he can't.

I'm not saying Limmy is an inferior entertainer to Jerma (I think they're just both very good) -- and I hope he doesn't somehow read this and get offended by my comparison to Jerma -- but I think that Limmy's humor does not truly fit that format, and as we've seen with how Limmy's fan interactions can be a very mixed bag, I don't think the call-and-response kinda stuff does either. Limmy Live was a controlled environment, with pre-allotted sketches, characters, and a time limit -- same for his book readings/signings -- and everyone who attended truly paid to be there, with the entertainment of seeing Limmy's performance being the payoff. With the Twitch streaming any cunt can show up and infuriate Limmy or goad him or spaff cash into the bucket and demand attention-- the entertainment of seeing funny clown man is already gratis, so when you throw him a fiver he has to acknowledge you, because it's a donation, it's extra.

Limmy is a very varied comedian, and can rotate in moods and skits very well, but he doesn't have the pace of someone like Jerma-- whom has exclusively learned to work in this format. Jerma can fire off a handful of "hey thanks to soandso for subs" and then immediately snap back into clown man mode, but Limmy's learned to deliver and improv in a completely different system,  one where his stories, skits, improv etc is allotted its own time -- but the donos etc still have to be read out -- and he's playing a game, trying to take it in etc, at the same time. So the pacing, the heckle-responses, the donations, are retrofitted into this format and it becomes incredibly bogged down and clunky.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone that has gone from a trad format to a stream format and succeeded. I like the Whitest Kids U' Know streams, when they were still frequent (before Trevor's tragic and sudden passing) but they were explicitly director-commentary sort of deals, where they'd sit down for 2-3 hours and talk to the fans, and each of the guys did/had their own video game streams separate, which I never watched.

Even as much as I think Jerma's better with the Twitch format I still can't watch full streams of his because they're just so fucking loooooongggggg though.

The Bumlord

I noticed watching Skyrim that he has this weird affliction where he can't see text which is RIGHT THERE ON THE SCREEEEEN.

I don't think it's a joke.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: MrMrs on September 27, 2021, 12:07:50 AM
Genuinely do, I'd be mortified if my partner or dad posted the shit he does

He does, but he's blocked you

Both your partner and your dad; for they are one person

Thosworth

Quote from: H-O-W-L on September 28, 2021, 01:38:12 AM
Probably the best game-and-interaction streamer I've seen is Jerma985.

Simon Amstell sound-alike NerdCubed is also consistently entertaining, but unless someone is streaming either an interesting tactical game or a MST3K level of quality watch-along, Twitch is never more than background noise to cover the silence/tinnitus.

druss

Quote from: Retinend on September 26, 2021, 07:27:46 PM

Can't put my finger on exactly why this is so funny but every time I see it I guffaw.

petril

I think it's just the sort of local radio newsreader guy voice it inspires

An tSaoi

Also the fact that the picture is funny, yet believably rubbish. Like, it's breaking news, and they've got the first picture off the dad's facebook.

Ferris

Just saw a large (unverified) Twitch leak showing how much everyone is getting paid and things floating about. Interesting reading.

petril

Quote from: An tSaoi on October 04, 2021, 04:57:50 PM
Also the fact that the picture is funny, yet believably rubbish. Like, it's breaking news, and they've got the first picture off the dad's facebook.

yeah, its got Evening Times written all over it

bgmnts

I dont think I want to see the leak because it'll depress me how much these people make.

I bet Limmy is quite far down though.

The Guppy

Quote from: bgmnts on October 06, 2021, 05:52:31 PM
I dont think I want to see the leak because it'll depress me how much these people make.

I bet Limmy is quite far down though.
I only looked at the top 100 and Limmy isn't that high up. Those people are making a fortune!

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 06, 2021, 05:59:09 PM
109th
Ah, then he's making a fortune!

Captain Z

At this rate they'll start calling him Limdog Millionaire!

(I haven't seen the leak)

druss

Can see why he's not arsed about going back to TV.

Ferris

He's 180th from what I've seen, $628k in the last 2 years apparently.

Obviously entirely unverified so large pinches of salt required.

Ferris

Quote from: Chollis on October 06, 2021, 07:35:07 PM
good for him

Yeah that's my feeling too.

Why not? He's found a way to create what he wants and work to his own schedule, and he's making good wedge while he goes.

Jim_MacLaine

I read somewhere that Twitch takes 50%. Is that true?

Yes, but I'm reading that these figures take that into account. Also the numbers are only subs and views, sponsorships and donations were not included so the real money they're making is even higher.

chveik

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 06, 2021, 07:39:01 PM
Yeah that's my feeling too.

Why not? He's found a way to create what he wants and work to his own schedule, and he's making good wedge while he goes.

agreed. it's a shame a part of this money is going to bezos though