Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:37:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone like Prototype?

Started by Neil, August 28, 2011, 06:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Here's a game I never heard of at the time, for some reason, and have never heard of since!  I saw some guy playing it on a Street Fighter-related video recently, and couldn't believe how good it looked, so picked it up for 15 quid pre-owned. 

It's got a lot of free-running in it, so you can go sprinting up buildings, do air dashes, and float all around the place.  Sand-box type game, although sadly perhaps lacking in enough elements to make it a classic in that genre, but still one of those games (like Crackdown) where you just want to load it up, and have a huge amount of fun titting around.  I love games where you can just have fun moving, and you get to do some crazy stuff, such as grabbing on to helicopters in mid-air, absorbing the pilots, and taking over the chopper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM_y31KUq88&feature=related

Anyone else a fan? Nice and cheap at Play.com currently.  In looking for that gameplay vid, I see that a sequel is getting released soon.  Yeehaa!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'm surprised you'd not heard of it. It was released at the same time as the extremely similar looking Infamous, which gave both games a bit of a publicity boost as the comparisons were made.

I know what you mean about the fun of just moving around in these sort of games. That feeling of mastery over the environment. I think I mentioned in the Batman: Arkham City thread that I've been on the lookout for a good superhero sandbox game since Spider-Man 2. Sadly, a proper Spidey one doesn't seem to be forthcoming, and Arkham is still a few months or so away (and some months more before it'll be cheap enough for me to buy) so I may get myself a copy of this in the meantime.

I played it on PC and 360. Really good laugh, felt kind of like an Amiga game in terms of control mechanics, funnily enough. Not sure why.

Jemble Fred

I think I'm right in saying it's the only game where you can drag a granny right up to the top of the tallest skyscraper, hurl her off, and watch her slowly fall right down to her death.

Neil

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 28, 2011, 07:19:23 PM
I played it on PC and 360. Really good laugh, felt kind of like an Amiga game in terms of control mechanics, funnily enough. Not sure why.

The gliding strongly reminds me of MDK, which was a fucking cracker of a game.

Neil

Quote from: Jemble Fred on August 28, 2011, 07:57:27 PM
I think I'm right in saying it's the only game where you can drag a granny right up to the top of the tallest skyscraper, hurl her off, and watch her slowly fall right down to her death.

Hehe, also fun to absorb one of the granny's, so you can take on their physicality, and parkour all over the fucking place with a hunched back and rollers in.

madhair60

There's a pre-owned copy of this for £2.99 in Gamestation right now, for PC.  Everyone told me it was shit.  Did everyone lie!?

Surely no game can be too shit for £2.99?

I saw The Darkness (the Mike Patton voiced supernatural FPS, not the mid noughties glam rock revivalists) in Game yesterday for the same price and would have bought it on the spot, if I'd had another quid in my pocket.

Consignia

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 28, 2011, 08:23:33 PM
Surely no game can be too shit for £2.99?

Take a trip to the Apple App Store. Then again, could you find anything good on there?

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 28, 2011, 08:23:33 PMI saw The Darkness (the Mike Patton voiced supernatural FPS)

He seems to have carved himself a nice little niche doing horror video game vocals. Good for him.

falafel

I love Prototype. It gets absolutely insane towards the end, mind.

Penfold

I liked it.

I think at the time I had infamous in my PS3 and Prototype in my xbox.

Prototype was more fun just because you can run up buildings rather than having to climg them in infamous.

I liked making spikes come from the ground.

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: madhair60 on August 28, 2011, 08:16:43 PM
There's a pre-owned copy of this for £2.99 in Gamestation right now, for PC.  Everyone told me it was shit.  Did everyone lie!?

Yes.

Prototype was a game I became addicted to in short order, I only stopped playing it when my disc drive carved a ring in it (that was down to a shitty drive though), it's appallingly fun to go romping through the city, skewering all and sundry with your tendrils, picking up tanks and hurling them into crowds with abandon, running up the side of buildings and taking (almost) flight, landing with a street shattering crash, latching onto a helicopter, taking it over and raking fire down on the, now alerted, military only to get shot down and duke it out with them, in the process absorbing one of them (taking on their appearance) and then fleeing until the heat is off only to carefully (or totally wildly if you so choose) drop into one of their bases un-accosted until you get rumbled, by which point you can unleash hell all over them and start the merry process over again.

The freedom of it is like a fusion of Just Cause 2 and Crackdown, but it's neither the nigh-on endless slog that Just Cause 2 was, or as hmm what's the word?... 'dead' or 'empty' as Crackdown ended up feeling. Leveling up/buying new powers came in at just the right pace. Lots of challenges later on as well and a good mix of them too.

As falafel says it goes mad towards the end but it still works.

Oh I am so going looking for this again I've convinced myself just posting this..

You've convinced me too. This sounds like top fun.

Big Jack McBastard

Edit: Oops the sequel is in the works eh? Nice one, I'll be over that shit.

Jemble Fred

It sounds a bit like the sequel might be a bit more staid, really – more solid, more strategic – partly because the first one wasn't as big a hit as anticipated. I'm sure they realise what kicks people got from mindless carnage, though.

falafel

The city could have done with a bit more character, some of the graphics were a bit last generation, and the story was slight. I'd hope they would fix those things and leave most of the core mechanics as they were. Leaping from helicopter to helicopter, or ploughing through a sea of pedestrians in a massive tank... Some of the most intense gaming fun there is. Oh and I was always impressed by how densely populated the world was, miles better than GTA, even if npcs are basically just souls to suck or save and probably didn't exhibit particularly sophisticated behaviour. Too busy throwing them at each other to notice.

chand

I wasn't mad keen on it. Boring environments as a result of every single building having to be completely flat and straight so you could run up it, and seemingly little thought gone into how you get new powers (where Infamous was perhaps too rigid in this regard, slowly feeding you new powers and then having you use them, Prototype seemed to just open up a shitload of powers and have you ending up with entirely the wrong type of skills for the missions). I got frustrated with some of the battles, as being an awesomely powerful hand-to-hand fighter is fuck-all use when you're surrounded by guys with guns draining your health as you're fighting.

It seemed to really struggle with getting the balance right, I mentioned before on here but there's a laughable stage of the game early on where you're given the ability to become other people so you can sneak around with stealth, which you do for about one mission before the game realises this gives you too much freedom, and introduces magic hovering cameras that set off alarms when you try to do it, taking the mechanic from being game-breakingly powerful to almost entirely redundant in a single swoop. I think I preferred Infamous in general because the emphasis was more on ranged combat.

Neil

Quote from: Jemble Fred on August 30, 2011, 08:30:28 AM
It sounds a bit like the sequel might be a bit more staid, really – more solid, more strategic – partly because the first one wasn't as big a hit as anticipated. I'm sure they realise what kicks people got from mindless carnage, though.

I didn't really get that vibe from the IGN footage and trailer that I watched last night.  Was going to link them anyway:

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ5xW-Yo720

IGN footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Caom-NcYUM

Looks bloody great!  I finished the first one last night, after playing it all day long, and am going to jump back into free roam now for a bit of gliding, chopper-stealing, and see if I can find some more Web Of Intrigue blokes. 

I love the story for the second one, where Alex is going to be the villian this time round.  However, it has caused a disturbing amount of cunty racist comments in the afore-mentioned YouTube videos, by people who are put off by the idea of playing as a black character.  Are they taking the piss, or being genuine?  Bit of both, I'm sure.  Other people are just horrified at not being able to play as Alex, with no racial element to their complaints.

chand

Quote from: Neil on August 30, 2011, 03:45:47 PM
love the story for the second one, where Alex is going to be the villian this time round.  However, it has caused a disturbing amount of cunty racist comments in the afore-mentioned YouTube videos, by people who are put off by the idea of playing as a black character.  Are they taking the piss, or being genuine?  Bit of both, I'm sure.  Other people are just horrified at not being able to play as Alex, with no racial element to their complaints.

Cunty racists are pretty much a given in YouTube comment sections.

Neil

I know, but it's still shocking to me.  Are they just trying to be funny and shocking, or do they actually believe it?  Would someone really find themselves not willing to play what looks like an incredible game, just because the protagonist is black?  That's fucking insane.

Plenty of folk bought GTA San Andreas. I wonder if any racists bought it and deliberately/subconsciously played like psychos, in order to confirm their worst prejudices of ghetto life.

Zetetic

Quote from: Neil on August 30, 2011, 04:02:14 PM
I know, but it's still shocking to me.  Are they just trying to be funny and shocking, or do they actually believe it?  Would someone really find themselves not willing to play what looks like an incredible game, just because the protagonist is black?  That's fucking insane.

Robert Yang, creator of Source mods (amongst other things), has had a ridiculous amount of kvetching aimed in his general direction for his Radiator series where, almost imperceptibly[nb]In fact, entirely imperceptibly if you just take the first on its own,[/nb] you happen to be a gay man. Weird issues of self/character identification.

Edit:
Ah-ha!
Quotethe couples names are DYLAN AND JAMES are they gay? I thought i was the only one who noticed but id rather them not be gay and be two buddys or the other person was a woman u know?
Comment of the Month on "Handle with Care"

mobias

Interesting reading peoples views on this game. I'd kind of missed it, but I'll give it a go (especially if its cheap) I think I got this game and Infamous muddled up. Is Infamous any good? I see Infamous 2 comes out quite soon.

Big Jack McBastard

Well I'm back into this, PC this time around. Makes me realise how much I miss the rumble pack in my controller whirring around. I get what folks are saying the world is a bit flimsy but the fun is in the slickness of the movement.

I just stealth absorbed a copper and had him hurling burning cars down the road at an army base before running up the side of a skyscraper to evade the choppers they sent out, did an Agent Smith off the roof, locked on to one of them, gave it a good hoofing which sent it down towards the street, where a Hunter I had lured with me leaped up smashed the shit out of it.

I then glided around the building, smashed into the ground skewered some nearby Infected with spikes coming out of the floor, turned into a tanned blond and idly smacked some fleeing pedestrians around until the Hunter caught up with me and punched me down the street, into a tank, all in the space of about 30 seconds.

Still enjoyable, oh yes.

Just received this in the post earlier. I'm a bit busy currently, but I had a quick go and it does indeed seem like fantastic fun. I liked the fact that it starts out with a little flashforward, so you get to use some of the powers from later in the game.

Noodle Lizard

It was somewhat fun for a few hours, but the novelty wears off extremely quickly.  And aside from the sandbox element, the storyline mode is pretty naff and I tired of it fairly quickly.  I've since sold it off, but it was worth playing.