Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:24:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

[muso] How to start making basic electronic music?

Started by ThickAndCreamy, September 01, 2011, 12:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThickAndCreamy

I'm sure a thread like this popped up a little while ago, but I cannot find it.

Anyway, I have lots of free time and I'm fed up of wasting it and this seems like the most productive way to use it. I have Ableton Live 8.2.2 on my computer and I've been messing about with it for a while. I'm still useless, but I really can see myself delving a lot further into it, hopefully being able to make some half arsed ambient stuff in the process.

I have a bit of money, and a reasonable PC. My soundcard is useless, but I'm willing to upgrade, especially as I have a set of Denon AH-D2000 headphones I never use because of the poor quality. I'm willing to get a midi keyboard, but have no ideas of brands or quality.

How should I go about this?

Petey Pate

Speaking as someone who's only arsed about with such software in the most unprofessional way and never read any instructional manuals or anything, I can say that FL Studio is a lot easier to get to grips with than Ableton Live.  I haven't produced any music but it's definitely a worthwhile hobby to get into to.  I think that people who already have a basic knowledge of music, i.e. they can play an instrument, read music, e.t.c. are in a better position when starting than someone that doesn't, but that's not to say that that they'll necessarily be better. Like anything, it takes time and patience.

Treguard of Dunshelm

My midi keyboard is this, which is nothing special but fulfills my modest needs. It cost me a lot less than the equivalent of the $249 the above link states - I think I got it from www.guitarampkeyboard.com, you might want to have a look there.

It's really worth getting a proper soundcard/interface, I found the difference in quality even with my cheapish little UA25-EX is very noticeable.

The Masked Unit

I've got that keyboard and although I'm actually looking to upgrade to something with nicer keys, it's perfectly decent for knocking out basslines, strings, chords etc, and you can easily assign the 8 knobs to tweak anything that's tweakable.  Unless you're a piano player who's used to hammer action then it'll do you well.

On a separate but related note, I recently splashed out on Komplete 7, which is Native Instruments all-in-one package comprising a load of soft synths and a massive sample library, and I've been spunking myself over it ever since. I'm getting the horn right now just thinking about that sampled Rhodes and the various drum kits. It's astonishing what a load of new toys will do for your creativity.

momatt

Quote from: The Masked Unit on September 01, 2011, 05:00:49 PM
It's astonishing what a load of new toys will do for your creativity.

Funnily enough I think the exact opposite.  Limiting myself to a couple of bits of gear and learning them really well or sticking to a strict method is always best for me.

Or amybe it's just because I can't afford/justify any new toys right now.