Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:16:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kill List

Started by CaledonianGonzo, September 02, 2011, 02:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Fuck you just don't get it. Have you ever met a devil worshipper or pagan gone wrong? They don't obey YOUR laws. i bet they are tittering right now at your feeble complaints and cries for explanation. Tittering and plotting. Plotting...oh verily they will come for you.

SteveDave

Quote from: Wet Blanket on October 11, 2012, 01:36:01 PM
I would have kept the cult, but not the bit where
Spoiler alert
they're all of a sudden outside his house, and have somehow kidnapped his wife and kid, disguised them as a hunchback, and made him fight them.
[close]

Was that the plan all along?
Spoiler alert
To make a man fight his wife and kid disguised as a dwarf?
[close]
There are surely easier ways to engineer this

I'm with Wet Blanket. The ending was pish. I didn't really care about anyone in the film though. They were all awful people.

Noodle Lizard

The ending was
Spoiler alert
A Serbian Film
[close]
but y'know what?  It was alrightish.

The Βoston Crab

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on October 11, 2012, 11:04:49 AM
I had to turn it off at about 3/4 the way through.

Poofter.

Quoteworse was the sheer grim, north, bleak, empty, desolation etc...

Aren't you from Liverpool?

Bread and butter. Bread. And. Butter.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 11, 2012, 02:51:44 PM
Fuck you just don't get it. Have you ever met a devil worshipper or pagan gone wrong? They don't obey YOUR laws. i bet they are tittering right now at your feeble complaints and cries for explanation. Tittering and plotting. Plotting...oh verily they will come for you.

You've made a mortal enemy today BlodwynPig (if that is your real name?)[nb]Picks a stray hair from Blodwyn's chin[/nb]

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on October 11, 2012, 05:09:36 PM
You've made a mortal enemy today BlodwynPig (if that is your real name?)[nb]Picks a stray hair from Blodwyn's chin[/nb]

You owe me two quid. Until you have paid your dues, you will ever be my bestest buddy.

Buddy.

Hangthebuggers

Fine but you get to keep the kids.

Chum.

BlodwynPig

We are agreed. I'll clean up your piss then, shall I?

Pal.

weekender

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 11, 2012, 02:51:44 PMHave you ever met a devil worshipper or pagan gone wrong?

I must tell you the story about the time I invited two Jehovah's Witnesses into my shared student house when I was drunk and bored at 4pm, and frustrated that I'd not got the conundrum on Countdown.

Actually, I say "must", but I think I mean "shouldn't".

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 11, 2012, 08:45:34 PM
We are agreed. I'll clean up your piss then, shall I?

Pal.

Oh no we'll be needing that.

Edit: Buddy.

phantom_power

I didn't mind the ending but it did disappoint considering the intrigue that had been built up throughout the rest of the film. It seemed to be leading somewhere and then just ended with a cheap twist. Why did they thank him before he killed them? What happened in Sarajevo, or wherever it was? Why was he important to the cult? I know the director would say that the mystery is half the fun but for me it just seems a bit lazy. It is easy to put a load of odd shit into a film, but very difficult to tie it all together at the end and I don't think Kill List did this at all

BlodwynPig

Quote from: phantom_power on October 12, 2012, 08:59:08 AM
I didn't mind the ending but it did disappoint considering the intrigue that had been built up throughout the rest of the film. It seemed to be leading somewhere and then just ended with a cheap twist. Why did they thank him before he killed them? What happened in Sarajevo, or wherever it was? Why was he important to the cult? I know the director would say that the mystery is half the fun but for me it just seems a bit lazy. It is easy to put a load of odd shit into a film, but very difficult to tie it all together at the end and I don't think Kill List did this at all

Its the fucking occult - that's why. Dark as fuck and no logic. Just madness and menace.

Mini

Spoiler alert
They thanked him because they knew he was to become their leader; he was marked from the start by the creepy woman etching the symbol. In Sarajevo or wherever it was he presumably did some seriously fucked up shit which is why the cult thought he'd be capable of doing all this other fucked up shit.
[close]

It does make sense, it just doesn't spell everything out piece by piece. It rewards re-watches and the ending is phenomenal; it's foreshadowed throughout and comes as a real gut-punch at the end of all this weirdly domesticated tension. Kill List is one of my favourite modern horror films and that's partly because it concludes properly. None of this awful Christopher Nolan open endedness.

phantom_power

I still don't think that is interesting enough a resolution to the intrigue. There seemed to be more to it but that all evaporated with the ending. Why did they not just indoctrinate him into the cult in a more convincing way, rather than making him kill his wife and child? You can't just explain away dodgy plotting with "occult weirdos don't make sense".

I would take a satisfying open-ended conclusion than an unsatisfying one that wrapped everything up any day.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the film and the ending was only mildly disappointing, but disappointing nonetheless

billtheburger

What a harsh little bastard from, shockingly, the director of Ideal.
He actually showed a lot of competence and knowledge of film history with his French new wave jump cuts and Welles' style deep staging. And yet it's a nasty, but good film.

BlodwynPig

i'm going to watch again tonight - and i will enjoy the ending even more.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 12, 2012, 04:54:22 PM
i'm going to watch again tonight - and i will enjoy the ending even more.

You're on thin ice son. Thin ice!

BlodwynPig

Capt.Midnight

It is easy to put a load of odd shit into a film, but very difficult to tie it all together at the end and I don't think Kill List did this at all

I'd have to agree here. The film is like watching loads of cool little disjointed ideas that don't work as a whole. It's almost as if the director had thought out a load of scary scenes, then tried to weave it all together with a storyline afterwards.

The cinematography was fookin awesome though, for some reason I remember how amazingly yellow the kitchen looked in the first half of the film. I love yellow.

BlodwynPig

The only bad thing about this film is that I bought Home Time off the back of this.

Borboski

I thought it was poor.  Watched the first 45 minutes thinking that it was slightly above the usual Nick Love lads fare - but then the rest had no substance to it at all.  Reminded me of the imagery and plot in Prometheus.  Trying to be both mysterious and shocking but basically pointless.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Borboski on October 29, 2012, 09:02:02 PM
I thought it was poor.  Watched the first 45 minutes thinking that it was slightly above the usual Nick Love lads fare - but then the rest had no substance to it at all.  Reminded me of the imagery and plot in Prometheus.  Trying to be both mysterious and shocking but basically pointless.

Oh shut up you twit.

Noodle Lizard

As much as I thought the film was alright, it taught me that geezin' geezers really aren't conducive to horror.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 30, 2012, 01:18:16 PM
As much as I thought the film was alright, it taught me that geezin' geezers really aren't conducive to horror.

twit

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Borboski on October 29, 2012, 09:02:02 PM
but then the rest had no substance to it at all.  Reminded me of the imagery and plot in Prometheus.

That's the problem with the internet and the modrin wurld, everyone's a fucking critic all of a sudden. If they don't understand every single piece of a film then it's pants and pointless. They don't seem to pause to consider that maybe they are too thick to understand what the film is about (Kill List) or maybe the director didn't want every single detail to be completely explained and more will be revealed in the sequel (Prometheus).

Kill List was a very good film with some really compelling moments and a slightly cliched ending but Ben Wheatley has shown that his films are worth keeping an eye out for and that he has something interesting to say through the medium of film. Anyone who disagrees with this can eat my ass.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: checkoutgirl on October 30, 2012, 01:47:11 PM
That's the problem with the internet and the modrin wurld, everyone's a fucking critic all of a sudden. If they don't understand every single piece of a film then it's pants and pointless. They don't seem to pause to consider that maybe they are too thick to understand what the film is about (Kill List) or maybe the director didn't want every single detail to be completely explained and more will be revealed in the sequel (Prometheus).

Kill List was a very good film with some really compelling moments and a slightly cliched ending but Ben Wheatley has shown that his films are worth keeping an eye out for and that he has something interesting to say through the medium of film. Anyone who disagrees with this can eat my ass.

I liked it but shush, you.

Ejit

It's on Film4 tonight at 10.50. I'm not sure if that's novel or whether it's been on a few times. Or if this is worthy of a post.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: The Βoston Crab on October 11, 2012, 04:59:21 PM
Poofter.

Aren't you from Liverpool?

Bread and butter. Bread. And. Butter.

No, I don't live in Liverpool and so what if I'm a Jesse, Pansy little girl? Tried to watch this again with company but failed and came to the conclusion that it's just a distasteful, nasty little cuntish film dressed up as something more cerebral by good acting and unusual editing.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on November 11, 2012, 10:47:43 AM
No, I don't live in Liverpool and so what if I'm a Jesse, Pansy little girl? Tried to watch this again with company but failed and came to the conclusion that it's just a distasteful, nasty little cuntish film dressed up as something more cerebral by good acting and unusual editing.

So off the mark - cuntish film? No, that would be Lock Stock and those type of films. Nasty - some bits, but fitting the characters desperate pent up fury.

Fair enough, its not for you, but don't damn the bugger without watching it all.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on October 30, 2012, 01:47:11 PM

I enjoy all sorts of films without completely grasping them. Ambiguity can work wonders when done correctly. But the only thing worth pondering about Kill List is what the fuck people think is so special about it.