Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:16:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Films you've seen people walk out from

Started by Neil, September 05, 2011, 06:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Pulp Fiction for me, always remember going to see that on a date, and scads of people just getting up and walking out the whole way through.  Bizarre.  Think it was the slightly odd narrative structure that was alienating to people.  Never seen such an exodus since.

CaledonianGonzo

I think the greatest number of walkouts I've ever experienced (apart from seeing Hans Teeuwen a couple of years ago) were from disgruntled Jim Carrey fans who'd not quite relaised what they were letting themselves in for with Eternal Sunshine Of the Spotless Mind.

Johnny Townmouse

I noticed lots of people leaving the cinema during the first Jackass film (mainly girlfriends who had had enough), Red Dragon (not enough Lecter?) and the final Matrix film (cos it built upon the shitness of the second film to reach a turdly crescendo). I nearly left that one myself.

However, the largest amount of people I've seen leaving a film was during a late-night showing of Reservoir Dogs in Camden. It was about 6 months before its official release and nobody knew anything about it (none of the iconic promotion had been done yet). The screening started with about 100 people and that had halved by the ear cutting scene. It stands as one of the most thrilling cinema experiences of my life.

So that's two points for yer man Tarantino.

I accept the terms of the

Fahrenheit 9/11, the bit with laddish American soldiers hooting and hollering about killing people like it was a computer game. An old man (very old, probably 90, just old enough to have fought in WWII perhaps?) completely on his own (it was a weekday showing) got up and slowly walked out. It makes me really sad every time I think about it, those cunts probably shattered his faith in humanity for one of the last times in his life.

I've walked out of two or three films, not out of disgust, just boredom. Each time was with my girlfriend (we figured we could spend the time together in a better way than sitting through something we both hated). If I was on my own I'd probably stay there and try to make the most of the chair.

Doomy Dwyer

I saw a girl run, not walk, out of 'Inland Empire' sobbing desolately and mumbling "I don't know what's going on...what's going on?". She was in bad shape. She sounded hollow. Bereft. It's a cunt[nb]This is not necessarily a bad thing.[/nb] of a film though, so fair play to the lady. She managed over an hour by my reckoning, so at least she gave it a go.

I fucked off out of Tim Burtons re-imagining of 'Planet of the Apes'. It was shit and I'd rather be in the pub. You can apply that last sentence to pretty much any situation I find myself in.

BlodwynPig

Easy. Irreversible. Loads walked out after the fire extinguisher bit and the rest after the rape. I think there were only 4 or 5 left in at the end.

BlodwynPig

Oh, a friend of a friend walked out before Dancer in the Dark had started - you know it has a blank screen for a few minutes...just after that. Idiot.

Johnny Townmouse

I walked out of Babel because I was drunk and horny but that's legit.

I've no idea what kind of cunt leaves a film because it's too challenging/fails to satisfy their preconceptions.

Makes me happy everyone dies.

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 05, 2011, 07:19:54 PM
I've no idea what kind of cunt leaves a film because it's too challenging/fails to satisfy their preconceptions.

Makes me happy everyone dies.
You don't have to watch it all just because it's a film. A man with shit smeared on his face burning his armpits with a hot light bulb is challenging, but you probably wouldn't stay for the full performance (shut up, don't be contrary).

Nobody Soup

Audition. Which is totally understandable, it was easy to walk into thinking it was a japanese romcom. I can't do horror so had to block the screen with my hands apart from the subtitles. 3 or 4 walked out during the torture scene, and there was only about 20 people there.

Ginyard

The Tourist. Again, totally understandable because it was utter shite. Umpteen people left and eventually I and my mate caved in as well and went for an indian. We never spoke about it apart from a quick 'dear god' roll of the eyes as we left. That was all the analysis it deserved.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Nobody Soup on September 05, 2011, 08:06:09 PM
Audition. Which is totally understandable, it was easy to walk into thinking it was a japanese romcom. I can't do horror so had to block the screen with my hands apart from the subtitles. 3 or 4 walked out during the torture scene, and there was only about 20 people there.

Eh? The most harmless movies I have ever seen. Did it upset their sensibilities? kiri kiri.

Sal Vicuso

Quote from: Ginyard on September 05, 2011, 08:10:36 PM
The Tourist. Again, totally understandable because it was utter shite. Umpteen people left and eventually I and my mate caved in as well and went for an indian. We never spoke about it apart from a quick 'dear god' roll of the eyes as we left. That was all the analysis it deserved.

I was trying to remember the film I saw recently where several walked out - it may have been the Tourist. I think we stuck with it til the end because we kept thinking "it's Depp and Jolie, something good must happen soon!". I can't understand how it went so wrong, surely those two, plus Berkoff and Bettany, have enough nous and clout to see the problems with a script and have something done about it

SteveDave

I saw a couple walk out of March Of The Penguins. What they were expecting I don't know.

I almost walked out of Bridesmaids but it was raining so I went back & sat stewing in anger for another hour & a bit.

Johnny Textface

Project Nim last saturday night.  The part of the film that showed some drug testing on some very ill looking chimps.

Ignatius_S

Ichi The Killer and The Blair Witch Project - with the benefit of hindsight, I wished I joined them.

madhair60

I walked out of W when it was playing Bush up as a loveable idiot instead of a cunt.

I walked out of Meet the Spartans when I said to my friend "If they do one more joke where the punchline is a Spartan doing a contemporary dance, we're leaving".  Within five minutes, Carmen Electra began dancing to MSTRKRFT's D.A.N.C.E remix, and out we went.

I walked out of Burn After Reading when I realised it was Burn After Reading.  There's more to that one, but I can't be arsed.

I walked out of Pirate of the Caribbean: At World's End since I hadn't seen the first two and hadn't the fucking foggiest, also it was boring.

There are probably more but I forgot them.

Quote from: SteveDave on September 05, 2011, 08:34:19 PM
I saw a couple walk out of March Of The Penguins. What they were expecting I don't know.
I really hope they had this whispered conversation:

"Do you detect a slight undercurrent of Christian family values preaching in this movie?"
"My word, yes! This is inaccurate anthropomorphising designed to appeal to conservative America!"
"Darling, we must leave at once. Make haste!"

ThickAndCreamy

I've only walked out of one movie. I've managed to get through Are We There Yet?, I Am Legend[nb]This film deserves larger recognition for being absolute shit, just the last few minutes made me feel ashamed of myself for staying[/nb] and I've saw Johnny English 3 fucking times at the cinema. If I pay to see something, I'll watch it through to the end.

The only film I've ever walked out of was Inside Man. A cinema employee pretty much forced me out for being contagiously drunk. I don't really remember a single thing about the film and I'm sure the whole cinema of 20 people saw me stumble out of that travesty.

I honestly don't notice people walking out of movies, as I just presume they're going to the toilet. I don't notice others in cinemas that much, as I don't really see the point of doing so unless they're a bit annoying.

Icehaven

Loads of people walked out of Tree Of Life, at least 10/15, out of a screen about two-thirds full. I seem to remember a lot of people in the TOL thread about it here saying the same, and posting pictures of notices ion cinemas advising people* that it was innovative, experimental, wasn't a traditional narrative structure etc. I've walked out of Tank Girl, just because it was awful, ditto Jackie Brown, and Romeo and Juliet because my friend roared ''WOOOOOOO RADIOHEAD!!!'' when Talk Show Host came on, and I really felt we should leave before someone rightfully smacked him. Although it was also awful. My boyfriend (at the time) walked out of 8mm (late 90s Nicholas Cage film about snuff movies) about an hour in because he found it so disturbing. I stayed with our friend to watched the rest, and when it was over we came out and found my boyfriend had gone to the pub over the road, been downing double whiskies and could hardly walk. I blame Cage. Current boyfriend walked out of District 9 when one of the Prawns started puking black stuff because he was hungover (boyfriend, not the Prawn) and it was making him feel worse. And it was also awful. I only stayed because, actually I can't remember why I stayed, I shouldn't have done.
I also walked out of Garden State when I realised they'd put the wrong film on and we were getting Polar Express,  but a few other people came with me and we all walked back in again when they put the right film on so I don't suppose that counts.
I love it when people have clearly walked into the wrong screen (common in my nearest Cineworld due to some seriously counter-intuitive door labelling). The confused whispers as soon as the BBFC certificate comes up, the turning to ask the people sitting nearest them what film this is supposed to be, the gathering of popcorn and scurrying out. I myself have politely left several Bollywood films for this very reason.

*who went to see it because Brad Pitt was in it.

Johnny Townmouse

I've never walked out of a film in my life. I've also never been to the toilet during a film screening either. I have a weird desire to see the pain through to the end.

Mary is not amused

A handful of cool kids left a showing of Gigantic (A Tale of Two Johns) about ten minutes in.  It's a documentary about They Might Be Giants.  It features, exclusively, members and fans of They Might Be Giants.  It's billed as 'A movie about They Might Be Giants'.  Essentially, only committed fans of They Might Be Giants could be aware of the film's existence.

What the fuck had they expected to see?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I saw a group of three people walk out of Spanish thriller Julia's Eyes, seconds after the first bit of subtitled dialogue. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I think they were a bunch of illiterate dunderheads.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: icehaven on September 05, 2011, 10:22:24 PM
Current boyfriend walked out of District 9 when one of the Prawns started puking black stuff because he was hungover (boyfriend, not the Prawn) and it was making him feel worse. And it was also awful. I only stayed because, actually I can't remember why I stayed, I shouldn't have done.

Ah, District 9 is a great film. I'd also give Inside Man another shot TAC, it has some really good stuff in there.

I've never walked out of a film, to be honest none really spring to mind that made me feel like walking out. But in any case, I tend to want to see films through to their conclusion, no matter how bad. I sat through Epic Movie in it's entirety on TV for example, despite it being one of the worst films I've ever seen.

gmoney

Two women who looked to be in their 70s walked out of Girl With The Dragon Tattoo when I saw it. The surprising thing to me, was that they walked out during the bit when the female lead was exacting her revenge on the evil rapey man, and must have not been too bothered by the two previous sexual assaults he carried out on her. Of course, the probably did find those moments uncomfortable, but just grinned and bared it, but the third was the rape that broke the pensioner's back.

I was once thrown out the cinema before the film had even begun. It was either Thirteen Ghosts or What Lies Beneath, and me and a couple of friends were mistakenly identified as throwers of a sweet that his a bloke in the back of the head. I never did see the film, whichever it was.

BlodwynPig

Sat through a re-screening of Without a Clue in an empty cinema in the mid-90's. Terrible film but i persisted. A slightly dishevelled man walked in about 3/4 through and fell asleep a few rows in front. No-one walked out.

CaledonianGonzo

The only time I've had to leave a film was due to the dizzying handheld camera work in The Constant Gardener.  I was in the throes of a hangover of gremlin boogie proportions and the shuddering cinematography combined with the hot stuffy atmosphere in the cinema necessitated a sudden sprint to the exit door.

I came back in a few minutes later after the world had stopped spinning, mind.

Other than that I'll always see a film out to the bitter end, but that's rarely a problem as, reading reviews and previews, etc, I usually know in advance whether or not I'll like a film.

And that usually influences whether I go to see it or not.

jutl

Watching Isaac Mizrahi's Unzipped I noticed an older man near the front of the cinema who kept muttering and grunting. After about twenty minutes of the movie (which is a documentary about haute couture) the man got up and left. As he passed me, striding purposefully, I could hear him say:

QuoteBloody poofs, worthless...

in the manner of a sputtering Colonel in a club lounge. I continue to wonder what he expected.