Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:25:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Films you've seen people walk out from

Started by Neil, September 05, 2011, 06:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

Highlander 2.

I eventually caught it on video and have to admit i'm one of the few people to enjoy it! I walked out of it because a friend of mine and just yakked out the two bottles of Scrumpy jacks Cider on the floor in front of him, splashing the back of the legs of the row in front. We had to move fast before we were lynched by angry movie goers. At least I got to see the trailer for 'The Thief and the cobbler' which never saw the light of day at the cinema.
Thinking about it maybe those visuals set him off on his puking frenzy.

I did see some old guy fall asleep during the 'Aviator'. I was quite jealous at his ability to get some shut eye in such an awkward postion as i'd like to have slept through it myself.

Also, a friend of mine at the time noted when two girls that were sat in front of us, got up and left during 'Day of the Dead'. It was before it got too talky and being a Romero fan I got a little defensive, explaining to him that die hard Horror fans have seen the movie 100s of times and were probly going to the bathroom to lezz it up.

packageholiday

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on September 07, 2011, 05:43:34 PM
Was this the Black Sheep about actual sheep, or was it the Black Sheep about Chris Farley falling on top of David Spade?

Strangely not the first time I've wondered this in the last week.

The crap horror film about genetically modified sheep, directed by one Jonathan King. (A different one.) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0779982/

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: packageholiday on September 08, 2011, 11:57:09 AM
The crap horror film about genetically modified sheep, directed by one Jonathan King. (A different one.) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0779982/

I actually bought that on DVD for a whim.  It remains one of the worst purchases I've ever made.

I think the combination of "New Zealand" and "horror comedy" gave me hopes of it being another Braindead or Bad Taste (both of which are fantastic).  Never again.

Small Man Big Horse

I thought it was alright - nothing amazing but fairly fun gory stuff.

I always sit in the front row[nb]At least unless the screen is incredibly close to the seats[/nb] so never notice anyone walk out, and I've not done so either. The closest I've come is 2012, which a friend dragged me to see, but by about half way through I wanted to watch it right through to the end to see if it's the most annoying movie ever made. And it turns out it is.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 08, 2011, 04:22:20 PM

I always sit in the front row[nb]At least unless the screen is incredibly close to the seats[/nb] so never notice anyone walk out, and I've not done so either. The closest I've come is 2012, which a friend dragged me to see, but by about half way through I wanted to watch it right through to the end to see if it's the most annoying movie ever made. And it turns out it is.

You want to check out Braindead if you haven't already, sir.  Yes, by the same Peter Jackson who went on to make Lord Of The Rings.  And I happen to think it's infinitely better.

2012 really was piss poor.  Not sure why I watched that in the cinema.

Ja'moke

Tree of Life, as I mentioned in the TOL thread. Although most people walked out because of the drunk in the front row that ruined the first 10/15 minutes of the film.

Two older women walked out of Black Swan shortly after the
Spoiler alert
lesbian sex
[close]
scene. It probably wasn't the type of ballet film they were expecting. Or perhaps that's the scene they were waiting for, and after that were satisified enough to leave.

father_bigley

I walked out of the room when some Kiwi friends were watching Black Sheep. They'd been looking forward to it all day, it was terribly sad.

I Heart Huckabees caused a few walkouts when I saw it in the cinema - certainly one old man left after about five minutes.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 08, 2011, 04:27:20 PM
You want to check out Braindead if you haven't already, sir.  Yes, by the same Peter Jackson who went on to make Lord Of The Rings.  And I happen to think it's infinitely better.

Oh I'm a big fan of the film, indeed I saw it in the cinema on it's opening day as I was such a big fan of Bad Taste and Meet The Feebles[nb]Christ, just typing that sentence makes me feel horribly old[/nb]. And it's without a doubt ridiculously superior to Black Sheep, I guess I just wasn't expecting too much from the latter and found it enjoyable enough. Though I have a weakness for dumb gory movies, and my critical faculties probably can't be trusted when it comes to the genre. I mean I even like Planet Terror, which seems to be hated by most people I know.

Quote2012 really was piss poor.  Not sure why I watched that in the cinema.

I've a friend who's married with three kids who is only allowed to visit me about three times a year in London, so when he comes up he always gets to choose the film. I should disown him really, as he's also the reason I've seen Prince of Tides.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 08, 2011, 07:21:07 PM
I mean I even like Planet Terror, which seems to be hated by most people I know.

Well, it wasn't as shamelessly awful as Death Proof!

QuoteI've a friend who's married with three kids who is only allowed to visit me about three times a year in London, so when he comes up he always gets to choose the film. I should disown him really, as he's also the reason I've seen Prince of Tides.

I wouldn't stand for it.  Not only is it pissing away a few hours of your life every time, but your payment contributes to the making of even more dreck.  Precisely the reason I stopped paying to see films with the justification "Well, I know it'll suck, but I've got nothing else to do", and rant at people who do so.  I'm quite the Mr. Popular, as you may have guessed.

BJB

Not quite a walk out in the true sense, but about 10 people (all people I was aware of from high school), were ejected from a screening of Run Fat Boy Run for being noisy twats. If I remember correctly, some were even fucking chased out by the rather large cinema bouncer/people.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 08, 2011, 07:27:48 PM
I wouldn't stand for it.  Not only is it pissing away a few hours of your life every time, but your payment contributes to the making of even more dreck.  Precisely the reason I stopped paying to see films with the justification "Well, I know it'll suck, but I've got nothing else to do", and rant at people who do so.  I'm quite the Mr. Popular, as you may have guessed.

Ah I know, but he has a reasonably shite life (he's a full time house husband, all three kids are under six, his wife spends half her time travelling around the world because of her job) so when he gets a chance to escape from it all I can't help but give in to him. And I do say no to certain films - I just couldn't face going to see Troy for instance - but if there's nothing worth seeing I end up going to see what he wants to see.

On the flipside, I go to the cinema a lot on my own, but only to see films I want to see, I'd never go just to waste time or out of boredom.

phes

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 08, 2011, 04:22:20 PM

I always sit in the front row[nb]

Whaaaaaaaaat?

Sat there once and it was physically impossible the watch the film. You must have a massive pupils.

Small Man Big Horse

Well it's partly for leg room reasons, since the breakage I can't sit for that long without needing it to be fully extended. But I also prefer it, sitting in the front row means I can become completely involved in the film, and not be distracted by other cinema goers. There's the odd cinema where the screen is too close so I go in to the second or third row, but most of the London arthouse-y ones have plenty of distance between the seats and screen.

I know I'm unusual with this though, most of my friends refuse to join me so I have to begrudgingly sit somewhere in the middle with them on the rare occasions we go as a group these days.

I'm not that tall, at 6 foot, but I prefer to sit on the aisle, so I can stretch my legs out to the side a bit.

El Unicornio, mang

My friend walked out of Harsh Times, near the end where the fella gets shot and is dying in the car, as he had seen the same thing happen to a friend of his and couldn't take seeing it up on the big screen. Understandable really.

taargus

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 09, 2011, 01:15:35 AM
But I also prefer it, sitting in the front row means I can become completely involved in the film

I was on the front row for XMen First Class and found myself going on to people for weeks about James McAvoy's massive baby pink face, becoming increasingly confused as to how I'd never noticed it before and why nobody else seemed to agree with me.

Buttress

Lars von Trier's Antichrist, during the scenes you'd probably expect that sort of thing to happen in. Most seemed to be women, unsurprisingly.

non capisco

Quote from: Buttress on September 15, 2011, 05:35:14 PM
Lars von Trier's Antichrist, during the scenes you'd probably expect that sort of thing to happen in. Most seemed to be women, unsurprisingly.

Funnily enough, I saw a walkout in that film as well but not in the bit you'd think. It was when the decaying fox popped up with his 'chaos reigns!' catchphrase, causing an elderly gent to march out barking 'this is codswallop!'. I'd like to think he also did that when he went to see Disney's 'The Fox And The Hound'.

Phil_A

The first time I saw Scott Pilgrim, the whole thing was ruined by a bunch of utter cunts who moaned loudly from the fucking second they sat down ("Uhh, I dunno why we're watching this," etc), sniggered derisively all the way through the film, continually made everyone else in the row stand up so they could get out to buy snacks, then all trooped out ten minutes before the end. I'm still pissed off about this now, and this was months ago. Fucking dicks.

Lovely and Amazing when Emily Mortimer is having photo's taken wearing a see through top a middle aged couple upped and left.

Big Jack McBastard

I tend to go for the front row as well, usually try for dead center so no-one gets in my line of sight when they go for a piss and it cuts down on the likelihood of any a-holes around me wittering away, doesn't always work out but more often than not.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Bruno

This was undeniably a testing film, an enormously brave and adventurous film that chose to capitalise on the success of Borat not by pandering to the audiences needs but continuing to challenge.

Challenging homophobic views is one thing, which it did very well, but it also seems to be a film where a section of the audience don't understand the purpose of why it is there, and what they are supposed to be enjoying.

And unsurprisingly dozens of people walked out never to return. For a mixture of homophobia and confused offence, if I had to guess why.

dr beat

I've only walked out on one film, and that was This Is England.  Sure, having seen it since its a great film, but I suppose its a context thing.  I saw it on my own, at a point when I was a bit down about stuff, and on a Friday night, and it just wasn't helping my mood.

I almost walked out of Synecdoche: New York about 20 mins in for similar reasons, but I'm actually glad I stuck with it, although it doesn't half drag toward the end.

Famous Mortimer

Robin Hood: Men In Tights

and

Urban Legend 2: Final Cut
I actually went to the counter and demanded my money back after seeing this, until my friend who worked at the cinema reminded me he'd snuck me in for free. I still demanded some form of recompense.

astrozombie

"Be Kind Rewind" had a lot of walkouts and also the first and only time I heard people booing a film when it finished, I'm not lying about that. I mean it wasn't the greatest film ever but it didn't deserve that!

Another one with a lot of walkouts was "Four Lions" I saw it on a Friday night with my mate, I surprised at how full it was when I walked in, after about 30 minutes people began walking out and I could hear one or two of them muttering "This is fucking boring!". By the end it was just me, my mate and some Asians at the back all laughing our heads off.

madhair60

Quote from: non capisco on September 15, 2011, 05:57:51 PM
an elderly gent to march out [of Antichrist] barking 'this is codswallop!'.

Not far wrong, mind.

Jobey

During Tree Of Life, I watched 10 people leave. I wish I could have joined them.
The only film I ever left was Gladiator because I was bored.
If this thread was films I've fell asleep during the list would be very long.

Nik Drou

The only film I walked out on was a strange, bawdy Greek comedy from the 1970s that was playing at a small open air cinema in Episkopi.  I would have stuck around, but there were no subtitles, I was just killing time and, somewhat ironic for a sexy farce, it was utterly impenetrable. 

I remember there was a group of college kids who turned up late for a screening of Fahrenheit 9/11, before leaving after about 5-10 minutes.  I assumed that they didn't realise it was a documentary, which begs the question (in the non-pedantic sense) of what the hell they were expecting.

SetToStun

Fuerzke

I walked out of Anuvahood. One of the few times I watched a movie solely on what the theater says it is about. I won't do that again any time soon.