Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:15:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Films you've seen people walk out from

Started by Neil, September 05, 2011, 06:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbed_attic

Plenty used to walk out from the screening of York uni's 'World Cinema Soc'. I was disappointed to see that quite a lot of people walked out from my choice of Švankmajer's Alice, possibly because it is so resolutely not the Disney or Tenniel vision. Also, the film can boast of an intrusively creaky crackity-scrackity sound design and while this proud owner of the Eraserhead soundtrack considers this a considerable boon, some people have delicate little ears.

Also, Tetsuo: Iron Man got a lot of walk outs, but I assume that the erotic power of that film was just becoming way to much for them. (To be fair, the dvd kept freezing and jolting, though if anything this was congruous with the general style of the film).

Pete23

This isn't technically a walk out as it happened right at the end of a film, but I saw the American remake of The Ring on a Friday night when it was full of couples, and a good quarter of the packed cinema left just after our heroine had defeated the long haired TV travelling loon, missing the entire twist ending and probably still to this day thinking that The Ring is basically a feel good film and wondering what all the fuss was about.

Quote from: Pete23 on October 20, 2011, 05:33:25 PM
This isn't technically a walk out as it happened right at the end of a film, but I saw the American remake of The Ring on a Friday night when it was full of couples, and a good quarter of the packed cinema left just after our heroine had defeated the long haired TV travelling loon, missing the entire twist ending and probably still to this day thinking that The Ring is basically a feel good film and wondering what all the fuss was about.
I saw a fair few couples reaching for their jackets after the encounter in the well, making that same assumption. I resisted an urge to yelp 'Sit down, it's not happened yet,' but they seemed to realise anyway and stayed till the end.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: astrozombie on September 25, 2011, 04:53:30 PM
"Be Kind Rewind" had a lot of walkouts and also the first and only time I heard people booing a film when it finished, I'm not lying about that. I mean it wasn't the greatest film ever but it didn't deserve that!

Yeah this is pretty baffling. Like you say it isn't exactly a masterpiece but it is a sincerely lovely and endearing film. I mentioned having rewatched it recently to a friend and she said her and hey boyfriend watched it once and thought it was an absolute travesty. Talk about your overreactions! It's not meant to be hilarious, or a bombardment of any of the emotions, it's just meant to feel warm and familiar, unassuming but very nice to behold, like a nice hug. People who don't like hugs are fucking cunts anyway. Personally I love that film, I think it's wonderful!

Only film I ever walked out of was the Spice Girls film. I know, I know! Judge not, lest ye etc etc... but it simply wasn't for me.

AsparagusTrevor

I didn't walk out of the Spice Girls movie, but I went with a girl and was trying to get laid[nb]I did eventually, but weirdly it was after watching the South Park movie.[/nb]. Same with Titanic actually, same girl and all.

Jemble Fred

I didn't actually walk out of it, but certainly just quit Nic Cage's 'Season of the Witch' after 45 minutes. Gah. Like 'Black Death For Dummies'.

SavageHedgehog

The majority of a small audience at the 2003 adaptation of The Singing Detective walked out. This included myself, and though it was not my decision it was not one I objected to. From the Gibson/Downey Jr. thread in General Bullshit I know that a couple of people here will disagree with me, but having just re-visited I wouldn't exactly castigate my younger self for that decision. As a teenager who hadn't seen any Potter beforehand I found it incomprehensible, tedious and inaccessible. As a Potter fan in my 20s with a particular affection for the original SD mini-series, I found it messy, pointless and still rather dull. It has the odd nice scene (Marlowe, I'm sorry "Dan Dark" learning to Three Steps To Heaven for example), but it strikes me as just about the most redundant movie I can think of.

Custard

I think the only time I've actually walked out of a film in the cinema would be the diabolical Keanu Reeves vehicle, Chain Reaction. Incredibly boring for what was promoted as a non-stop action film. Truly dire, and I believe one of the pals I went to the cinema with that night bought our other pal the film on DVD as a completely unwelcome birthday present, several years later

My dad very nearly walked out of Inception, a year or so back. I could tell he wasn't enjoying it, as he kept moving about in his seat and looking at his watch. Anyway, the final straw was waiting for the car to hit the water, in slo-mo. This nearly tipped him over the edge, as he knew he'd have to sit there for at least another 30 to 45 minutes. If we didn't have my nephew/his grandson with us, who was really enjoying it, I think he would have fucked off within the first ten minutes

I remember a few people walking out of films over the years, mind. A gaggle of middleaged, drunk looking blokes during the Inbetweeners, most recently. Gawd knows what they were expecting. Maybe the lure of more drink was the real enticement to take off

I saw an elderly couple walk out of Shame. Goodness knows what they were expecting.

the psyche intangible

I went to see Match Point and walked out at about half way because it was shit. I fell asleep watching a film, set on an aeroplane with Cillian Murphy in it, because I was drunk. I think it was the same year, so a bad year for films or me or both.

Mini

Quote from: the psyche intangible on April 17, 2012, 05:56:11 PM
I fell asleep watching a film, set on an aeroplane with Cillian Murphy in it, because I was drunk. I think it was the same year, so a bad year for films or me or both.

Red Eye?

the psyche intangible

Mini

I've only seen it once about 4 years ago, but I remember liking it. It is Wes Craven after all.

NoSleep

Quote from: Jemble Fred on October 23, 2011, 01:06:37 AM
I didn't actually walk out of it, but certainly just quit Nic Cage's 'Season of the Witch' after 45 minutes. Gah. Like 'Black Death For Dummies'.

Dumber than dumb, then.

Ian Benson

The Phantom Menace in 3D. Took my nephew because he likes the Clone Wars cartoon and the Lego games and toys but hadn't seen any of the films. Screening was full of kids and loads of them walked out (with their parents of course) never to return. I wished I could've done similar but my nephew seemed to be really into the film. Film ended and I discovered that he'd been asleep for over an hour.

Saw a lot of families walk out of Fantastic Mr. Fox. My nephew and I enjoyed that one.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Ian Benson on April 17, 2012, 07:33:17 PM
Saw a lot of families walk out of Fantastic Mr. Fox. My nephew and I enjoyed that one.

Maybe they were put off by the sound of Roald spinning in his grave.[nb]Okay, so the concept was 80% wonderful, but it's still one of the most Hollywood-bastardised Dahl movies, and the man himself was a complete purist about his work.[/nb]

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: gout_pony on October 20, 2011, 02:45:07 PM
Plenty used to walk out from the screening of York uni's 'World Cinema Soc'. I was disappointed to see that quite a lot of people walked out from my choice of Švankmajer's Alice...

Also, Tetsuo: Iron Man

You have the best taste in films EVER.

I had to walk out of Pulp Fiction, because the bit where Uma goes a bit squiffy in the car made me start to feel sympathetically carsick, even though I was sitting down. I went out to the foyer, where the lady said 'are you all right dear, you look a bit grey', and I said 'yes yes, absolutely fine', then passed out, sliding down the wall. Weirdly enough, I felt all right again almost the second I hit the floor, as I jumped up again, said 'excuse me' and went in to catch the rest of the film.

None of this seemed odd at the time, although I'm thinking the poor lady must have thought I was mental.

Spoiler alert
No offense intended to people who actually are mental.
[close]

Cohaagen

I walked out of Cloverfield when Lizzy Caplan exploded. I'd been dragged along and didn't want to be there, but I held on because I'd never seen her before and she is a beautiful swan. I was well pissed off.

QuoteSaw a lot of families walk out of Fantastic Mr. Fox. My nephew and I enjoyed that one.

It's an amazing film, can't believe anyone would walk out. There really are some knuckleheads walking amongst us...

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Jemble Fred on April 17, 2012, 07:42:12 PM
Maybe they were put off by the sound of Roald spinning in his grave.

To be fair, it wouldn't take much to start the old cunt spinning. Jews, women,....

holyzombiejesus

I've only ever walked out of 2 films, one of which I don't even remember but I went in pissed and just wanted more to drink. The other was Natural Born Killers which I left due to it being utterly utterly shit and not due to it challenging the mores of the late twentieth century. The only other fim that I recall being tempted to walk out of was Lars Von Trier's execrable The Element of Crime. I stayed the course but may have had a little nap.

I saw quite a few people walk out of Baise Moi but I kind of got the idea that was because they'd finished getting what they needed rather than any sense of outrage.