Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:34:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dwarf Fortress Succession Game?

Started by Zetetic, September 06, 2011, 09:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Anyone at all interested? In the near future?

I'd suggest LazyNewbPack 0.31.25 if anyone was.

But they're probably not.

Treguard of Dunshelm

Yes. I haven't played in a while, and I haven't played a succession game before, so sounds like fun. .25 LazyNewb is fine with me.

How many people do we need for a succession game anyhow?

Still Not George

You'll be unsurprised to discover I'm up for this :D

Zetetic

Quote from: Treguard of Dunshelm on September 07, 2011, 12:24:26 AM
Yes. I haven't played in a while, and I haven't played a succession game before
Snap!
QuoteHow many people do we need for a succession game anyhow?
Three might be enough!

Quote from: Still Not George on September 07, 2011, 06:49:42 PM
You'll be unsurprised to discover I'm up for this :D
I was rather banking on it.

My current (well, last I suppose) solo effort has gone a bit The Shining, what with the vast quantities of (deadly) Forgotten Buzzard blood staining the marble, whilst my only armed dwarf has gone berzerk with an axe. Unsurprising, except that this seems to have happened before the second year was out. I might need a little more practice...

dredd

I'll give it a bash. My last attempt was in 2009, or perhaps 2010? I remember wrestling with the updated military system and hospitals. Soldiers were trying to wear too many pieces of armour, and cats kept trying to wash themselves with bars of soap, it was utter chaos.

Treguard of Dunshelm

Wicked pissah!

dredd, you'll be happy to hear a lot of the bugs have been ironed out of hospitals and the military in recent versions.

Zetetic

Just to let anyone who cares know that I am still intent upon this, but to add that I'm not going to do much about until Sunday evening at the earliest (which also gives a chance to any possible additional players).

In the meantime, things desired in an embark site:
No Aquifer.
Iron Ores.
Flux stone?
Unpleasant fauna? (Rather related to Iron and Flux.)

I wouldn't mind a try in a more aggressive, even Evil, environment than I'm used to.

Treguard of Dunshelm

Still Not George

Definitely evil or some level of savagery.

Zetetic

Right, to indicate that I'm actually doing something:
I've stopped being such a coward and insisting on Steel production. Having said that, if we're looking at Haunted or Terrifying, some indication of the possibility of Bronze would be nice. So I'm scouting for anywhere with multiple surface metals and a sufficiently unpleasant environment. I will stick up a site later today...

Anyway! Running order:

• Zetetic
  • Treguard of Dunshelm
  • Still Not George
  • dredd

Zetetic

I present for your rejection, the future site of Rafar Sulus [Cooked the Crater].

The site has excellent prospects of shallow and deep metals (apparently), and seems to be dominated above ground by layers of Obsidian. There's definite evidence of Native Copper and there's a decent chance of Haematite. There's still also plenty of soil which is nice for early underground farming if you're planning on withdrawing scared into the earth.

Talking of which, the place affords views of leopards (according to embark screen), zombie leopards and skeleton leopards (at a guess). At embark, the thing hanging around is this guy:

...a fur-covered humanoid with the head of a wolf...
His skin is burnt umber.

It's a bijou plot [3x3; for performance reasons], but there's still quite a bit of variation as it encompasses Mountain, Forest and even a tiny bit of Desert. My favourite bit though is these two depressions, of which I've pictured the smaller:

I've plans for these.

Anyway, it's a big mountain, full of some kind of metal, with unpleasant locals. Shall I get on with it?

I used Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.25] [V9.2] with the Ironhand 0.57 tileset and TrueType fonts - you may have to use Update Savegames button.

(While I'm at it, I strongly recommend going to the Advanced Tab and turning Autosave to Seasonal, and Auto Backup to Yes. The game is pretty stable these days but it's worth it at the very least for ensuring an end-of-year save.)

You can grab the save here [~12MB] if you want to scout around on the surface.

Treguard of Dunshelm

The link to the save gives a 404 error.

EDIT: Perhaps it should be http://zond.stupidpupil.co.uk/dwarf/region2-spr-261.zip instead?

Looks good though!

Zetetic

Yes. Glad to see coping with my incompetence is off to a good start.

Eis Nein

I'll have a dab at this if there's room in the rotation.

I expect and encourage any blame for disaster.

Zetetic

Welcome aboard Eis Nein! I'm sorry that I haven't got this done earlier, but I hope to have it up in the next half-hour or so and a summary of what went on soon after.

Zetetic

Tada! Here it is. I believe it's SNG next, but I don't see any problem if people just want to have a look around.

Still Not George

Will attempt to get on it presently.

Zetetic

In that case:
Spoiler alert
Food, there is quite a bit but I don't know much is growing.
The farms aren't hooked up to fortress proper. But there's loam and stuff south of the bedrooms, so it's eminently possible to build some there, I don't know how accessible you want them.
Workshops including metal industry are running. No sphalerite collected (nor any stockpile set up for it), but it's around.
There's rock crafts at least for trading, some obsidian.
Building the main fortress so close to edge of the map was the work of an idiot.
I've hit the first cavern, but it's entirely devoid of plant life!
The wildlife has been remarkably accommodating aside from the werewolf and occasional plague of badgers.
Hot Keys.
The lever in the would-be noble bedroom operates the bridge.
Oh, and the military hasn't been scheduled.
[close]

Zetetic

Right, I'd written up something terrible in style of a rather self-aggrandising case-study from a fictional Moist Handles'[nb]Yes, our civilisation...[/nb] handbook, which for better or worse I've managed to obliterate with some strange set of keystrokes in concert with Firebug.

Since that's probably someone or something passing comment, I'll just leave these illustrations:

Pow!

Bam!

Entrance!

Bedrooms!

Work!

Dead!

The last image is of the first cavern. No plants, which I think means no water, which is a little unhelpful. I'm sure SNG will have a chance to air his grievances.

Still Not George

Apologies for the delay. I'm being totally rubbish.

Zetetic

I could do with some good news as my personal fort's just been overrun by elves. Curse all friends of nature and their bastard giant war tigers indeed.