Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:31:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Ordinary Boys

Started by 5 Knuckle Shuffle, June 08, 2004, 12:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Knuckle Shuffle

I'm at my folks looking after their house whilst they're on holiday (the toaster's knackered already!) and so I have the joys of cable television to brighten up my boring house sitting nights in. Anyway, I've just seen a band called The ordinary Boys and a song called Talk Talk Talk (Very Jam like I reckon) and whilst not overly amazing and fantastic, it's a great little ditty all the same. I did a little search for them and noticed that a bloke called Charlie Paul of My Wrongs fame did their video and will be doing more in the future for them. Has anybody seen these live at all and are they any good?
Cheers me dears

TraceyQ

Yes, I've seen them live and meh, they were *okay*. Didnt really set my world alight. In fact, so much so I missed them on purpose when they supported The Delays and the 22-20s.

I just cant hack bands that copy their influences to the letter, even down to haircuts and jackets. I prefer stuff that mixes and matches.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

And the first wave of Libertines-copyists begins...

TraceyQ

Funnily enough, I saw them supporting the Libertines.

www.chesterroad.com  <---- you know you want to, they are magnificent.

mayer

here's where i wander into a thread for no reason and mention Morrissey....

they named themselves after The Ordinary Boys on Viva Hate and are supporting Moz at the RFH on the 26th June (sold out though)

Peking O

Quote from: "NobodyGetsOutAlive"And the first wave of Libertines-copyists begins...

That's technically impossible seeing as how the Libertines don't have an original thought in their heads.....

*awaits angry stampede of both Libertines fans*

mayer

Quote from: "Peking O"
That's technically impossible seeing as how the Libertines don't have an original thought in their heads.....

heh....

i was the one who called them a Clash ripoff band playing the Kinks.

but i'm a big Oasis fan, so influences being worn-on-sleeves doesn't really bother me.

(by the way, Peking there was another tearful London reunion gig last night, and i'll PM you a link for the photos, i was stuck up north unfortunately)

EDIT:
QuoteAnd the first wave of Libertines-copyists begins...

but Razorlight have already got two singles out....

TraceyQ

Quote from: "mayer"
but Razorlight have already got two singles out....

Eh? To my ear Razorlight don't sound like the Libertines. They are a direct copy of Television, yeah, but I don't see the Libs thing at all.

Peking O

Quote from: "mayer"(by the way, Peking there was another tearful London reunion gig last night, and i'll PM you a link for the photos, i was stuck up north unfortunately)

Yes, I just saw that on nme.com. It's amazing how forgiving the rest of the band are - I suppose they've realized that Doherty is the cash cow/press darling of the band, and without him they're not going to last very long. Can there be any other reason?

_presence

Quote from: "mayer"(by the way, Peking there was another tearful London reunion gig last night, and i'll PM you a link for the photos, i was stuck up north unfortunately)

Yes, I just saw that on nme.com. It's amazing how forgiving the rest of the band are - I suppose they've realized that Doherty is the cash cow/press darling of the band, and without him they're not going to last very long. Can there be any other reason?

You, sir, are a cunt. What makes you know more than everyone else, eh? By the sound of your previous comments I wouldn't be surprised if you had never even listened to a song....no original matierial? Pleeeaaaaaase.

Borboski

Quote from: "_presence"

You, sir, are a cunt. What makes you know more than everyone else, eh? By the sound of your previous comments I wouldn't be surprised if you had never even listened to a song....no original matierial? Pleeeaaaaaase.

Don't worry. They're just a pop band. It'll be OK in the end. Don't get so het up about it mm'kay?

_presence

Quote from: "Borboski"
Quote from: "_presence"

Don't worry. They're just a pop band. It'll be OK in the end. Don't get so het up about it mm'kay?

Just a pop band? I love the Libertines and to hear someone start calling them unoriginal or completely useless without Pete is stupid.

As someone said:

Libs without Pete - A great band
Libs with Pete - inspirational

Pete's going through a rough time, but he IS seeking help. A friend of his told me today that for once he has actually admitted he has a problem...never done that before. Why shouldnt they let him back in?

Peking O

Quote from: "_presence"You, sir, are a cunt. What makes you know more than everyone else, eh? By the sound of your previous comments I wouldn't be surprised if you had never even listened to a song....no original matierial? Pleeeaaaaaase.

Hooray! Actually, it's long been established on here that I'm a cunt, so I think it is you that is lacking in original "matierial."

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quote from: "mayer"here's where i wander into a thread for no reason and mention Morrissey....
they named themselves after The Ordinary Boys on Viva Hate and are supporting Moz at the RFH on the 26th June (sold out though)

Yes, and a track of theirs is appearing on a free cd given away with the NME next week which has supposedly been handpicked by Morrissey himself. It also features tracjs by the Libertines, New York Dolls, Franz Ferdinand etc., as well as a 'rare' Morrissey track.

The Ordinary Boys are ok...the song "Week In Week Out" is wonderful, but that's all I've heard of them really.

As for the Libertines...I too was very sceptical about them, but I bought their album the other week and it really is full of some great great songs. I just wish they'd all stop being drug addicts and get on with playing some music.

dirkfunk

fuck fuck fuck the Libertines
inspirationalmy anus

listen to the new bomb turks

Just found this thread..

RE: the Ordinary Boys.

I really really like them.  The album is fantastic - great pop songs, well produced as a complete album.  I like the fact they are influenced by the 80s punk spin-offs like the Jam and the Specials, but I don't see it as a direct copy.  They have their own style.

BetaKarraTene

Yep, saw them at Kings College and they were great.  They also like their ska, since they did a fine cover of Little Bitch. The album is packed with great pop songs too, but that's what you'd expect when you've got Stephen Street producing.

BetaKarraTene

Stephen Street has produced albums by Pavement, Blur and The Smiths amongst others.

Quote from: "BetaKarraTene"Stephen Street has produced albums by Pavement, Blur and The Smiths amongst others.

Oh great.  thanks.