Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:03:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

3D projectors

Started by Santa's Boyfriend, September 10, 2011, 04:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa's Boyfriend

I notice the cost of full HD projectors have come down quite a bit in the last couple of years, which is nice.  I guess the next thing is 3D projectors.  The thing is, I've seen active 3D at my local arthouse cinema and I really wasn't very impressed.  It caused much more eyestrain than passive 3D (as employed by the local multiplex) and it juddered if things moved too quickly.  Does anyone know if it's yet possible to get a passive 3D projector for the home?  I can't find anything online about such a thing.

The Masked Unit

Projectors are so last decade. Get yourself some of these!

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/hmd-video-glasses

Consignia

I don't know anything recent about 3D projectors, but I think a barrier to home use is that you need two of them, and they need to be aligned properly which I don't recall being a trivial feat. One of my potential projects at Uni was to develop a system which automatically aligned a pair of projectors, so there maybe stuff now which does make it easy.

falafel

Presumably if you had active shutter technology you wouldn't need two?

Consignia

Yeah, but SB was asking about passive 3D projectors, so that's what I was talking about. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

falafel

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: Consignia on September 14, 2011, 10:41:57 AM
I don't know anything recent about 3D projectors, but I think a barrier to home use is that you need two of them, and they need to be aligned properly which I don't recall being a trivial feat. One of my potential projects at Uni was to develop a system which automatically aligned a pair of projectors, so there maybe stuff now which does make it easy.

Is that what they do in cinemas with passive 3D projection?  They actually project 2 images from different projectors at the same time?  I thought it was more cleverer than that, something to do with treatment of the screen or something.  You can get passive 3D tvs, I guess I was just assuming you could get passive 3D projectors.  I know you can get active 3D ones, but they make my eyes hurt and images judder on them too, which to me defeats the object - if it's not a comfortable experience I'd be better off watching in 2D.  To be fair I can't afford one right now anyway, but I'm thinking for the future...

http://www.passive3dtv.org/

EDIT: The headset look cool, but not too good for watching films with your mates!

Consignia

Yeah, at least traditionally, 3D projectors where two different sources each filtered to a polarity and pointed at a screen. I think they are put into single units, but focusing them wasn't trivial task. Of course, my thinking on the matter is about 5 years out of date, I wouldn't put it past some clever boffins to have made the whole thing a lot simpler.