Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:00:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lana Del Rey

Started by Ja'moke, September 12, 2011, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

I've listened to her first three LPs this passed week and only really enjoyed "Born To Die". I was amazed at how much "Royals" by Lorde ripped off "Off To The Races".

I've also heard the duet she did with my mate Sean Lennon. Hmm. Did not like it. He'll be devastated when I tell him.

NEW PAGE I DROP DOWN INTO A COMBAT STANCE

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on June 23, 2017, 05:06:29 PM
I'd go a bit further on Honeymoon:

About half of it is good, with a few that really stand out. The first four tracks to varying degrees (Music To Watch Boys To is mega), and Salvatore through to 24 are all solid. It's the middle of the album that seriously dips, though I'm sure da kidz will be into Freak and High By The Beach.

There are sections of Salvatore and The Blackest Day that are off the chart good. Pushes that tragic romance angle in a slightly different way to Ultraviolence, but still effectively. The hint of electronics on there is where it differs from Ultraviolence really, and when it works it's really good.

It's way too long but I'd agree that the tracks you mention in the latter stages - Salvatore, 24 Hours, The Blackest Day - are the real deal.

Parts of the new one are also great - God Bless America, the Stevie Nicks one - but it's also way too long.  She needs an editor.

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 29, 2017, 09:45:47 AM
Parts of the new one are also great - God Bless America, the Stevie Nicks one - but it's also way too long.  She needs an editor.

The languid way she sings the line "Goooooodd bless Ameeeeriicaaaaaa" is just fantastic.

græskar

Her languidness/languidity in general is great, part of her charm. I love it especially in "Old Money", again: "Blue hydrangea, cold cash divine..."

Hat FM

the new album is great. sounds more like ultraviolence than the last one which i thought was dull and badly produced. i think 'in my feelings' and 'coachella'  are my current favourites.

"The Greatest" is, in fact, the greatest

Ja'moke

I never thought she'd top Ultraviolence, but this new record might be her best. Absolutely love "Happiness is a butterfly" and her cover of Sublime's "Doin' Time".

CaledonianGonzo

The Greatest is the fucking jam.

Re-reading the first 6 pages of this thread = not The Greatest. State of it.

"Dennis's last stop before Kokomo"

Dennis was already dead before that song was written.

CaledonianGonzo

I think she's imagining him drowning at Kokomo.....rather than at Marina del Rey.

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on September 01, 2019, 06:26:59 PM
"Dennis's last stop before Kokomo"

Dennis was already dead before that song was written.

She's using "Kokomo" in a bathetic sense to reference the afterlife (i.e. the last stop before he went out and drowned at Marina del Rey as a homeless alcoholic). Which is a very good lyric actually because the actual song "Kokomo" also ties into the Weltschmerz degradation-of-culture theme that runs through the rest of the song.

Plus, most world religions confirm that Paradise will feature Mike Love swaying near some steel drums.