Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:12:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lana Del Rey

Started by Ja'moke, September 12, 2011, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekender

If y'all need more gangster, then y'all need an angster.

Lyrical genius, suck my penius.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Been hearing Video Games around at the moment but still not sold, even without looking at how studied the video of it is, how studied her entire appearance and look is, knowing that that's in the background just taints it all.

I like the instrumentation and the singing, but this is one example of how to fuck up some really good raw material through poor decisions and conceited stylistics.

CaledonianGonzo

Hmmm...I've not seen the video and the only pictures I've seen of her have been in this thread where she just looks like AN Other alt-music ladyperson, be it Feist or Jenny Lewis or whoever.

All I'm basing anything on is an mp3 - but I happen to think it's quite a good mp3.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

From looking at her she's going for a look that's as un-alt as physically possible, right down to her stupid pouting doll lips. I just find her titanic levels of self-regarding in those videos grotesque, and that affects everything. The second worst aspect is the cloying conceited pop culture references. The idea that the mundane can be profound isn't a new one, the standard for how to achieve that is already out there, but she's a mile off.

I am someone who has to sit in open mic nights listening to young people sitting earnestly crooning about seeing the glint of someone's eye reflected in a takeaway carton though so perhaps my threshold is different.

Melodichaze

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 11, 2011, 11:36:47 AM
Been hearing Video Games around at the moment but still not sold, even without looking at how studied the video of it is, how studied her entire appearance and look is, knowing that that's in the background just taints it all.

I like the instrumentation and the singing, but this is one example of how to fuck up some really good raw material through poor decisions and conceited stylistics.

Thank you! I completely agree. I've tried to hold back on voicing my negative opinion, hoping it might grow on me but her music is B-O-R-I-N-G.
'Blue Jeans' is slightly better, but only because it sounds like a tired Tori Amos. Having listened to her other tracks (hoping something might grow on me) I was left wondering why the hell she has all this hype?
Credit where it's due, she can sing and has a nice tone in places, but honestly, that 'Video Games' tripe is the equivalent of grey sludge.

Ja'moke

Crabwalk

On Later...Live RIGHT NOW

phantom_power

I quite liked that. I like how she has two different tones to her voice and uses them for specific lines. She doesn't look that over-styled to me, just well turned out.

kitsofan34

Was it just me or was she quite nervous?

Crabwalk

I thought she looked very nervous, and it affected her voice a couple of times. She should vamp it up a little.

CaledonianGonzo

After Bombay Bicycle Club, etc. - now Kasabian have done a version.

It's the new Yesterday/Hallelujah/Unchained Melody!

Johnny Textface

Its going to be overplayed into oblivion and everyone will be completely fucked off with it by the end of the year.

For her to be playing Jools Holland this quickly demonstrates how utterly this is not "genuine hype".

phantom_power

How can you tell? Surely one of the things about hype is a rapid rise to fame. What is genuine hype anyway?

To be honest I don't care if she is genuine or not, it is a lovely song that has grown on me over the last few weeks to the point it is stuck in my head for much of the day

Josef K

The pretentious cunt in me automatically assumed a good looking young female singer receiving a lot of airplay would be sub X-factor wankery but she really is unquestionably talented.

Nobody Soup

I saw her on saturday, she is a really good singer. ridiculously stunning too.

probably could have jazzed her live set up a bit but I imagine this is her first tour outside america so I don't blame her too much for a lean set list and a safe set up. She also seemed a bit embarrassed about the Video Games hype, probably rightly, I think she has better songs that she didn't play. 6/10

alan nagsworth

this is utter pish. you can tell she's going for the tori amos/kate bush thing especially on 'blue jeans' but it just sounds like a quirky remix of some evanescence/adele twaddle. genuinely dull, i can't get behind it at all. the only thing remotely appealing about it is the semi-interesting musical production behind the frankly tedious vocal work. pish.

23 Daves

I've read a lot about her in the last week or so, and wondered why I hadn't heard any of her stuff yet.  Upon further investigation on YouTube, I realise I had actually heard a lot of her material already, it's just it hadn't registered with me as being anything worth making even the vaguest mental note of. 

"Oh, it was that boring, bland song I heard on the radio the other day..."
"Oh, it's another one of those boring, bland songs I heard on the radio which caused me to finally get up and go and take a shower..."

and so on.  It's not that her material annoys me, it's just utterly nondescript. 

Don, Aman

Heard rumours about genuine hype.

Don, Aman

Quote from: Josef K on November 07, 2011, 05:47:05 PM
The pretentious cunt in me automatically assumed a good looking young female singer receiving a lot of airplay would be sub X-factor wankery but she really is unquestionably talented.

Nah boring as fuck, ta.

alan nagsworth

Well that was worth bumping the thread for, eh! There has been more album development news and a track list released but I'm sure fans would find that boring as fuck.

momatt

The Joy Orbison Remix of Video Games is bloody awesome.

I reckon she's going to be one of those artists where I vastly prefer all the remixes over the original tracks (like La Roux).

fucking yes

nice one thanks. i lvoe the original and joy orbison seems to ahve that golden touch. cant be arsed corrceting spellings soz

really like that tho

Nobody Soup

I love this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoTRa-UtPcI

but it seems it won't be on the new album, bit disappointed, it has a lot more edge than a lot of the other ones I've heard. the "killing someone, gets a little easier when you've done it once." line is great (and also a strange nod to casion royale)

CaledonianGonzo

Regardless of the lady herself, Video Games already sounds like a standard.  People will still be covering it 10 years hence.

jaydee81

Surely the authentic/manufactured debate is settled by David Sneddon writing a song on her album

momatt

Quote from: The Boston Crab on January 11, 2012, 12:46:32 PM
fucking yes

nice one thanks. i lvoe the original and joy orbison seems to ahve that golden touch. cant be arsed corrceting spellings soz

Joy: He/They certainly are musical Midases.
Agree about the jazz standard claim.  Other than the title, Video Games is really timeless.

Mr. Fingers has done a pretty good remix.
The Penguin Prison Remix of Blue Jeans is great too.

Don, Aman

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 11, 2012, 03:40:17 AM
Well that was worth bumping the thread for, eh! There has been more album development news and a track list released but I'm sure fans would find that boring as fuck.

I do.

Don, Aman

Only old cunts and weird uncles in movies use the term video games anyway. Fuck sake. Relevant my arse.

what the fuck does relevant mean maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan