Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:41:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your new absolute favourite song, by Ariel Pink

Started by Black Type, September 12, 2011, 09:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Type

http://www.youtube.com/user/jacuzziwad#p/a/u/0/59ZdLTVT12k

Witchhunt Suite for WWIII

Sing-along:

Sky sky cam what's seen before you
Contrived tracking systems live
Last name laden is soaked in sodom
We tried our best now test these organs
Lonesome kittens walk in circles
Milky substance rains from eyes
Hocus pocus not precocious
We're lightly tapping heavens forehead
Bomb the building bang bin laden
Building the bombs bam bomb building
Oh little reindeer soaked in semen
Caca's burning under thunder
Slightly sopping sucking whirlwind
Yer family's tightly flapping curtain
Sky sky cam what's seen before u contrived tracking system lies
Last name laden is soaked in sodom
We tried our best now testis organ..building big bomb building the bombs building bombs

Verse 2
The human race is an invention of the west foreign every other land
The swine walk around as man and the sheep can't know that they sleep...
My evil the man before u is not a man but a dog I've extinguished the flames with hot piss so I ask
Is that all there is to a fire
Freedom!

Gonna get em, we got em, we gotta

No time for your burning bras or talk of mass deception
Pull your guns let terrorism stir up your aggression
Gonna get em we got em, we gonna..x 4, x10
Stand up for your right to talk about US domination
Crawl into the trenches and join the real worlds form of conversation
Gonna get em we got em we gotta x8
No time for your burning bras or talk of mass deception
Pull your guns let terrorism stir up your aggressions yeah....
We're gonna be wiped out!
Wind me up with evil so I can fight fire with fire

Egyptian Feast

Wow, he played this the last time I saw him in London and it was possibly the highlight of his set. I'd never heard it and thought it might have been a new track. Thanks for helping me identify it.

Tiny Poster

Were you at Koko, Egyptian Feast? Here's the full setlist:
QuoteOceans of Weep
Helen
Bright Lit Blue Skies
L'estat (Acc. to the Widow's Maid)
Fright Night (Nevermore)
Round And Round
Beverly Kills
Flying Circles
Witchhunt Suite For WW3
Menopause Man
One On One
The Facts Of Destiny
Thespian City
Encore:
Credit
Getting High In The Morning
I credit Before Today (and Simon Reynolds) with making me realise that there is good new music out there. I've fallen in love with his stuff since hearing the album last December. Does anyone have any theories on what older stuff he might re-record for the next hi-fi album? I'm guessing Getting High In The Morning and Flying Circles, as they seem to be mainstays of the live shows, whilst he varies the rest of the gig around the Before Today hits and his vast back catalogue, Dylan-style.
Here are a couple of Ariel tunes I've had in rotation this week:
Flashback
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1VdOr9Q-Nw

Are You Gonna Look After My Boys?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N6EecRJu60

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Tiny Poster on September 13, 2011, 05:34:30 PM
Were you at Koko, Egyptian Feast?

I was indeed. Cheers for the setlist - the other song I hadn't heard was The Facts of Destiny, so that's another one to look out for.

Is 'Flashback' a B-side to 'Round and Round'? Great song, another I hadn't heard. 'Are You Gonna Look After My Boys?' is one of the tunes that made me fall in love with him. I'm still hoping he adds that one to his touring repetoire. It's in no need of an update though; in fact, I hope he leaves the stuff from House Arrest, Worn Copy and Scared Famous alone. Those songs are fine the way they are, warts and all. Still, whatever he does, I really can't wait for another album.

Tiny Poster

Flashback is the lead track off his Flashback EP, which I think came out in the lead up to Before Today. At least two of the songs on it have a full band. Get hold of it if you can, it has a great cover of Rama Ya.

Speaking of covers, Facts Of Destiny was originally by The Centimetres. Knowledge is power!

Tiny Poster

Mistaken Wedding is the Round and Round b-side. Thanks for reminding me of it - I'm listening now.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Tiny Poster on September 13, 2011, 11:16:17 PM
Flashback is the lead track off his Flashback EP, which I think came out in the lead up to Before Today. At least two of the songs on it have a full band. Get hold of it if you can, it has a great cover of Rama Ya.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to be available to buy anywhere, but I'm sure I can track it down one way or another. Thanks for all the handy info anyway; I haven't been listening to Ariel since the last gig but, inspired by this thread, I stuck on Worn Copy last night and it fitted my mood perfectly. "Mankind is a Nazi!"

I can't link to them as YouTube is banned at work, but if you haven't seen the videos for 'Somewhere In Europe/Hot Pink' or 'Politely Declined' (another two favourites of mine), check them out. I love his lo-fi early videos - the crap miming in 'Politely Declined' never fails to put a smile on my face.

Tiny Poster

Wow, thanks for the tips! Never seen his videos before - the Politely Declined one has made my day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc_CMLGkBuE

Egyptian Feast

There's loads of them on Youtube. Check out 'Are You Gonna Look After My Boys' if you haven't seen the video for that. It's lovely.

Tiny Poster

Yeah, with the slight 'tache he reminds me of Weird Al in that one.

Check out this amazing cover of Round and Round when you get the chance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeGLqYIrvVQ

Tiny Poster

Egyptian Feast

Excellent, cheers! Lots of stuff to listen to when I get home - I'm particularly intrigued by that 4AD version of 'Spires In The Snow'. I've heard a few versions of that, not all of them successful (my favourite is the one on Grandes Exitos), so I'm hoping he nailed it with Haunted Graffiti.

I would love to hear a hi-fi version of 'Among Dreams', which is Ariel's ne plus ultra, for me. I don't think he can improve on it, the atmosphere and scratchy performance is an enormous part of what I love about it but I'd love it to get the recognition of the Before Today stuff.

He actually wrote this WWIII song on the morning of 9/11, if you believe the myth.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 15, 2011, 07:10:58 PM
I would love to hear a hi-fi version of 'Among Dreams', which is Ariel's ne plus ultra, for me. I don't think he can improve on it, the atmosphere and scratchy performance is an enormous part of what I love about it but I'd love it to get the recognition of the Before Today stuff.

I'd like to hear it, but as you say, I doubt he could improve on it.

Tiny Poster

Which tracks would you like to hear him re-record? They did an amazing job with L'Estat, Little Wig and Beverley Kills on Before Today.

This may be of interest, EF:

http://ashtapes.blogspot.com/2010/06/ariel-pinks-haunted-graffiti-plano-b.html

Egyptian Feast

I can't think of any individual tracks at the moment, but there are large chunks of The Doldrums and some of the underground releases I've heard that could definitely do with a polish. But like you say, they did an amazing job on Before Today, so I'll be happy if he brings out another album of that quality, whatever is on there.

Thanks again for all the links, by the way. I still haven't had a chance to go through the stuff from the other day, but it feels like an Ariel Pink weekend, so I reckon I'll have a binge tonight.

Tiny Poster

All the songs re-recorded for Before Today have at least three or four huge poppy hooks to them, I'm struggling to think of any other lo-fi stuff that's made up of so many fantastic parts. I suppose Witchhunt would be a prime candidate for the next album, if you follow that thinking.