Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:27:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Why do people get up and leave the cinema as soon as the credits start?

Started by Neil, September 15, 2011, 05:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemble Fred

CaledonianGonzo

Apocalypse Now has 'The End' right of that start of it.

THAT'S RIGHT, FOLKS!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Neil on September 15, 2011, 08:03:30 PM
Don't read reviews, especially don't watch trailers.  What's the point?

Because a trailer will often prompt you to watch a film you might not know or care about otherwise? Also, it's interesting to gauge your own opinion against that of a critic whose work you respect.[nb]But then I would say that.[/nb]

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: Neil on September 15, 2011, 10:24:20 PM
Yep.  Then I'd work out my own thoughts, then read here, then maybe finally turn to other reviews, but even then, I don't usually bother as I prefer to work it out myself, and am a bit of a control freak about that.  To my own detriment, really, but it's way, way more fun for me to realise something, than it is to passively read it.

I rarely read written reviews unless I've already seen the film, but there are three film-related podcasts that I listen to regularly and that's where I'll hear reviews prior to seeing a film. If you find that a particular critic appears to have similar tastes to yours then I find them a useful guide as to whether something might be worth exploring. I've discovered some fantastic films this way. Though I'll be damned if I'll ever listen to any thing Kermode ever says with regard to comedy.

As for the credits, I never leave immediately, though I rarely stay right through until the bitter end. Though I did with Kill List recently, and most of the cinema seemed to do the same.

babyshambler

I usually leave fairly quickly but I stayed a while after Rocky Balboa so my friend didn't see my red eyes.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 16, 2011, 12:30:30 PM
Because a trailer will often prompt you to watch a film you might not know or care about otherwise? Also, it's interesting to gauge your own opinion against that of a critic whose work you respect.[nb]But then I would say that.[/nb]

Yeah, while avoiding reviews is understandable, I'd say watching trailers regularly is a crucial part of loving movies, and having general movie knowledge. If you think about it, we've all seen probably about ten times more trailers than movies – and each one has given us some level of understanding of those films, even if we never want to see them. If I had only ever watched full movies, I'd have almost no clue what was going on in cinema at any given time.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Jemble Fred on September 16, 2011, 12:39:24 PM
Yeah, while avoiding reviews is understandable, I'd say watching trailers regularly is a crucial part of loving movies, and having general movie knowledge. If you think about it, we've all seen probably about ten times more trailers than movies – and each one has given us some level of understanding of those films, even if we never want to see them. If I had only ever watched full movies, I'd have almost no clue what was going on in cinema at any given time.

Unfortunately, many trailers nowadays give too much information about the movie, so I can understand why some people try and avoid them. I remember seeing a trailer for What Lies Beneath a few years back that gave away so many plot points/twists that I've never felt the need to actually see the film.

It didn't help that it looked shit, mind.

another Mr. Lizard

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 15, 2011, 09:38:52 PM
The end credits for the remake of Dawn of the Dead puts the rest of the film in the shade - its gruesome.

You beat me to mentioning this, BP. Great, isn't it? If you leave the cinema as the credits begin, you get a happy ending - if you stay behind and watch the entire film rather than 95% of it, you get the proper ending. All films should do the same.

I always stay behind and watch the credits right to the finish, have been doing so as long as I can remember. 'Cloverfield' was another worth singling out here - very short film by modern standards, but with about 9 minutes of credits, over which played an astonishing approximation of a lumbering Godzilla-type theme. Brilliant.

It's always fun to see odd credits, too - I think it was the 'Conan The Barbaraian' remake recently that credited two cleaning ladies! I always like seeing the names of catering companies as well, often using excruciating puns.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Jemble Fred on September 16, 2011, 12:25:18 PM
When do you reckon a film 'ends'?
When the final scene finishes. If there is some footage over the credits that comes on while you're walking out, I will hang around and watch it (like most people do in my experience).

If some people want to sit and watch the credits all the way through and bask in the afterglow then good luck to them, but I don't see how now sitting through the credits is wrong or should be seen as rude. Most people don't want to sit through them because they have no interest.

Funcrusher

Yeah, while avoiding reviews is understandable, I'd say watching trailers regularly is a crucial part of loving movies, and having general movie knowledge.

I often come in just before the film starts, so don't see the trailers. Then leave as soon as the credits start rolling. I'm just the worst person ever.

As far as getting info about films before seeing them, I just do a kind of rapid scanning over reviews trying to avoid as much of the plot details as I can. I get a sense of whether it's the kind of thing I generally like and if the review is positive and that's about it.

rjd2

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 16, 2011, 01:59:33 PM
When the final scene finishes. If there is some footage over the credits that comes on while you're walking out, I will hang around and watch it (like most people do in my experience).

If some people want to sit and watch the credits all the way through and bask in the afterglow then good luck to them, but I don't see how now sitting through the credits is wrong or should be seen as rude. Most people don't want to sit through them because they have no interest.

Agreed. Credits are irrelevant for me, I have never been in a cinema and thought" this is an awful film but maybe just maybe if the closing 3 minutes of credits are good it may make it all worthwhile"

I look back at all the films I have enjoyed and I don't remember the credits at all. Its irrelevant the film itself is enough to satisfy me.

If the film is good enough you will remember it. Simple.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I agree with Utter Shit for once. I'll watch the first bits to see who featured and occasionally there are some nice surprises, and stay to the end if I get the feeling there'll be an added bit- as far as I remember, Inglourious Basterds had an extra bit for example. However, in most cases the films finished- you take a few moments to take stock then head for the exits.

Unless you're with a girl, in which case you hang around for 'get a ROOOOOOM' public snogging.

Utter Shit

You should agree with me more, it suits you. I will occasionally stay for a little longer as well, if I want confirmation of an actor I suspected I knew or whatever...but even then I usually don't bother and just check it on IMDB before I've even left the cinema.

thenoise

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on September 16, 2011, 12:28:57 PM
Apocalypse Now has 'The End' right of that start of it.

Norman J Warren's 1978 film TERROR has a 'The End' and false credit sequence about 5 minutes in - the reveal then that we are watching a film-in-a-film and the film proper starts from there.  BET THOSE CREDIT-SKIPPING MORONS HAD RED FACES AFTER THAT ONE!!!!11

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

In the olden days all the credits would be at the start and the trailers would be shown after (hence the name).

Utter Shit

I can see why they changed it, doesn't make much sense to play them afterwards when everyone except Neil is halfway home by the time it gives the release date.

Subtle Mocking

See, I am that guy who's always dying for a piss during the film. When they were playing some extra bits at the end of The Inbetweeners Movie a few weeks ago, I had the tough dilemma of rushing to the toilet like a madman, or pissing on the people in front like a madman. I couldn't win in that situation.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: thenoise on September 16, 2011, 04:04:50 PM
Norman J Warren's 1978 film TERROR has a 'The End' and false credit sequence about 5 minutes in - the reveal then that we are watching a film-in-a-film and the film proper starts from there.  BET THOSE CREDIT-SKIPPING MORONS HAD RED FACES AFTER THAT ONE!!!!11

Ditto Sullivan's Travels, which opens with an exciting fight on a train which leads to tragedy, and then a 'The End' caption, at which point we realise that we are watching a film-within-a-film and not the shortest movie ever made.

QuoteI had the tough dilemma of rushing to the toilet like a madman, or pissing on the people in front like a madman. I couldn't win in that situation.

You could have pissed in a discarded drink cup and then thrown it at the people in front.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 16, 2011, 04:35:18 PM
You could have pissed in a discarded drink cup and then thrown it at the people in front.

At a screening of The Inbetweeners you'd get a huge laugh and a round of applause for it.

Subtle Mocking

Or I could've pissed in a can and cut my cock in a hilarious tribute to the show.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 16, 2011, 04:25:09 PM
I can see why they changed it, doesn't make much sense to play them afterwards when everyone except Neil is halfway home by the time it gives the release date.

I can't work out whether he means the trailers would be before the film but after the credits or after the film.

That wasn't too clear, was it. The trailers were after the film.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 16, 2011, 12:30:30 PM
Because a trailer will often prompt you to watch a film you might not know or care about otherwise?

And a truly great, brilliantly constructed trailer can be a work of art in itself.

Ocho

Regarding the trailers at the end thing, I think (and I could have this completely wrong) it was a practice from the days of continuous projection, when the customer would buy a ticket and walk in at whatever time they arrived, watch the film and let it loop around up to the point they came in.  This is why Psycho was remarkable at the time of its release, people were not allowed into the auditorium after a certain point.  Anyway, with a screening system like that, trailers at the end and trailers at the beginning amount to pretty much the same thing.

Harpo Speaks

Yeah, while avoiding reviews is understandable, I'd say watching trailers regularly is a crucial part of loving movies

Bizarrely I tend to have a lot more problems in relation to spoilers with the latter than I do the former, the podcasts I listen to tend to be very careful about spoilers, but by contrast there are trailers that show you every single beat of the narrative, and or give away major plot points.

All that said, I do love a good trailer when I come across one, but I don't tend to actively seek trailers out in general.

Noodle Lizard

I can't remember the last good trailer I saw.

I do, however, love the trailer for Leaving Las Vegas, because it's so hilariously misleading.  It's like that re-cut The Shining trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmkVWuP_sO0) only genuine.

El Unicornio, mang

It would be nice if more trailers were like this one, not showing any actual footage but giving you a basic idea of what the film is about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsQRLkL8OlQ

The Pirates of the Caribbean teaser worked well too, from what I recall it was just a skeleton pirate foot walking through some sand