Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:57:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Heritage" - new Opeth album

Started by Noodle Lizard, September 16, 2011, 11:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

It's been available for streaming in full for a few days now, but I've been very good and held off until the release date on Monday.

Has anyone listened to it yet?  If so, what are your thoughts?

Lee Van Cleef

I've listened to the first 12 minutes or so and frankly I don't want to hear any more.  Tedious, dull prog rock.  It's seems like a long time since Still Life came out.

Noodle Lizard

That's disappointing - the song I heard (The Devil's Orchard) was pretty good, I thought.  Then again, I like a lot of "tedious prog rock", so perhaps they're playing to my tastes!

"Still Life" and "My Arms, Your Hearse" are probably my favourite albums of theirs, though.

Lee Van Cleef

Oh I like my fair share of prog rock/metal, and I even somewhat liked the pansy ass Damnation album they did.  But I just found nothing in what I heard to really keep me listening, but I've been off this lot since the aforementioned Damnation/Deliverance duo, and they were pushing their luck with me already by then.

I'd rather be listening to Light of Day, Day of Darkness by Green Carnation for my proggy fix.

Noodle Lizard

I'm sort of an outlaw prog fan - in that most of the "prog" music I like isn't considered true prog by the purists.  Pink Floyd are too commercial, Opeth, Anathema and Porcupine Tree are for kids, King Crimson use instruments etc.

I suppose I don't help myself by saying "The Prophet's Song" by Queen is the best prog song of all time.

Anyway, I'll give this a listen once I have the CD in my hands, which should be Monday, and let you know if you're horribly wrong about it or not!