Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:36:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Post your own FREE music

Started by Neomod, September 17, 2011, 03:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: bomb_dog on May 13, 2012, 04:59:09 PM
Scary stuff. All sounds nice and clear though. Still trying to get the hang of this Eq lark.

It's me and a friend who did it, he uses Logic and such professionally, so he knows what he's doing.  I just sat there saying "make it go 'eehhhhehh'".

We did some better ones than that, but I'll have to get the files off him.

astrozombie

http://soundcloud.com/geishachainsaw

Music project me and a friend started and ended after one day and a body of working containing just two songs.

Sombrero is good but that was mainly by my friend who actually knew what he was doing. The other one Umu ga yasashi which was by myself seems like pretentious trash but is actually just the workings of someone unable to get his head around Fruity Loops. Keep listening for an odd rap I found which I sampled into it.

Noodle Lizard

Geisha Chainsaw.  Oh.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: NoSleep on March 16, 2012, 10:05:58 AM
The best marker, from one song to another, is to check the level of the vocals. Simply; if you recorded a single voice accompanied by an acoustic guitar, you would not want it to blare at the same overall level of the metal track that follows it. The thing that will guide you is making the vocals sit at a listenable level in both. It tends to be the thing in a mix that makes people want to turn a song up or down, as, I guess, we're all tuned in to the frequencies and nuances of the human voice.

Regarding measuring up to other people's music: Take heed of warnings about joining in with the Loudness War. At the same time, It makes sense to utilise as much resolution as possible in a mix, so tickling just below 0dB (without touching it) makes sense a lot of the time; at least if you're pumping out hiphop, full-on rock or dance tracks; I'd warn against this if it's ambient or quiet acoustic music as there should be some dynamic contrast.
Careful use of a limiter over the final mix would be the best advice; not to crush all the dynamics out of the track, but to allow yourself not to worry about the odd peak hitting 0db.

Also good use of the EQ can solve a few of these problems, roll off any unwanted or unneeded frequencies (such as top end off your bass) - Even to a tiny degree, this can provide some 'space' within your track, allowing you a little breathing room and stops muddying of the overall track. This can make it easier to gauge your track when mastering and provides polish.

Tip: Never boost frequencies, or at least always try and cut out unwanted frequencies before boosting.

NoSleep

Although eq and the like should have been mostly sorted out when the tracks were being mixed individually, not at the mastering stage, when you're compiling them together. The most you will be eq'ing at the mastering stage is very subtly; unless a real pig's ear was made of it beforehand.

Beagle 2

I've been trying my hand at prog rock, to a limited degree of success...

http://soundcloud.com/screeslopes/the-dogs-home

SteveDave

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 28, 2012, 01:58:53 PM
Haha! I really like the video. Which corpse are you then?

Far left in the cupboard.

QtheRaider

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 28, 2012, 01:55:07 PM
I've been trying my hand at prog rock, to a limited degree of success...

http://soundcloud.com/screeslopes/the-dogs-home

must be somthing in the air  i've been doing the same thing

i dont know  if you can use vst instruments in your studio or not but if you fancy a bit of rick wakeman in your tracks this mini moog soft synth is magical

voltkitchen group minimogueVA

www.glenstegner.com

Johnny Yesno

My band has a gig on Wednesday so if any Brighton whores are at a loose end that evening it'd be good to see you.

Tunes at www.lineshorizontal.co.uk

thepuffpastryhangman

Quote from: Johnny "the result of an extremely long process of emergent behaviour" Yesno on May 28, 2012, 06:25:21 PM
Tunes at www.lineshorizontal.co.uk

QuoteEach member of Lines Horizontal is the result of an extremely long process of emergent behaviour.

Lines Horizontal are interested in computation. We believe that computation can be used to create order from chaos, complexity from noise. We believe that noise contains the seed values necessary for evolving artificial intelligence agents using simple rulesets.

And you accuse virtuosos of "self-indulgence"?

Still, being "the result of an extremely long process of emergent behaviour" you're probably a better judge of hypocrisy than I.

NoSleep

Quote from: thepuffpastryhangman on May 28, 2012, 06:41:24 PM
And you accuse virtuosos of "self-indulgence"?

Still, being "the result of an extremely long process of emergent behaviour" you're probably a better judge of hypocrisy than I.

I accuse you of lacking a sense of humour.

Why I Hate Tables

http://neuroticwreck.bandcamp.com/album/leave-tonight-mixtape-side-1

Side Two coming soon hopefully. Miserable Northern synth-pop based around the outdated concept of a mixtape. Partly inspired by hip hop mixtapes.

Morrison Lard

http://soundcloud.com/wasistlos-1

Not sure if it worked, but I uploaded about a quarter of my "H" folder (no, not that H, buzz off you pesky skagheads)

It's not mastered, nor finished, but it's free.

(Edit : Soundcloud had a wobbler and wouldn't upload some of em)

purlieu

gabrielconroy

Here's one of my less embarrassing efforts for you to grimace at:

http://soundcloud.com/swichlicour/folded-cloth

The Masked Unit

Quote from: gabrielconroy on June 12, 2012, 06:48:17 PM
Here's one of my less embarrassing efforts for you to grimace at:

http://soundcloud.com/swichlicour/folded-cloth

Sir, you've earned yourself a new follower on that there Soundcloud!

gabrielconroy

Thanks - Four bad motherfuckers, right? Some choice beats you've got going there.

purlieu

The Masked Unit

Piss off Perlieu, I said I liked him first.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 22, 2011, 06:26:36 PM
Ableton and FL Studio, Audiomulch, Reason...what is point

Their interfaces are rubbish. What's the problem with the simple idea of layering and chopping up different tracks?

Music software that forces you through their gimmicky interface just to build a track infuriate me. Even Audacity doesn't make it as easy as it ought to be.

Just have a timeline, some layers and allow you to import and change things to your exact specification. It doesn't matter what flash shit a program has- if you can't do those things with ease from the get go, it's shit.

Get Reaper! It's free too[nb]Unlimited full source trial even after 60 days[/nb]

http://www.reaper.fm/

I find it excellent for snipping, chopping, reversing, layering etc

Jim_MacLaine

Is it user friendly in your experience for actually recording sounds other than editing, I'm looking to move away from FL Studio?

Hangthebuggers

Yup, I have no problems. Good forums too for extra help.

Jim_MacLaine

Cheers. Is it a 30 day trial and then you have to buy it?

NoSleep

Should be fine for recording. I haven't done a great deal with it as yet (as I still use Logic, mainly). But I've run some trials and I think you'll find it's as good as your audio interface will allow.
My big bugbear with all digital recording software is latency and I haven't really given it a try with that in mind (so far as I know, the only software that has really made real progress in eliminating error in this area is ProTools).

ZoyzaSorris

Great thread! Havent had the chance to listen to everyone elses efforts yet but will do shortly.

In the meantime, here is a link to an album of mine that got released on a small label in 2007 if anyone's interested (which I have now put up on soundcloud).
Managed to get a few tracks on Gilles Peterson and Steve Lamacq's shows which was nice, although it certainly didnt trouble any kind of charts, lets put it that way. Got one sale in Taiwan off the back of the Gilles Peterson show, and released on a big hiphop label in Poland, though, so I guess Im an international artist, right? Unfortunately, the follow up has taken five years. Mainly because I decided to make all the music myself (the first one was me on vocals only). And not only that but build the whole studio myself by hand, inhaling dangerous amounts of solder flux in the process.
It has been what you might call 'quixotic'.

http://soundcloud.com/witchdoctor-wise/sets/trapped-in-the-asylum

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: bomb_dog on May 11, 2012, 11:36:40 PM
How do you get decent clarity and stop things sounding too muddy?

thats the battle I have been waging for five years and have only just made major headway on - it has made a huge difference and I am finally starting to be happy with my 'sound'.

I love warm sweepy analogue poly synth sounds (picked up a cheetah ms6, good old british late 80s number - for £100 - if you like warm fuzzy electronica find one and grab it pronto, instant vintage vibes) and they tend to have a lot of energy in the low mid range - this is where muddiness usually lies -its all about judicious eq-ing in the low-mid to make sure you dont have too many overlapping frequencies. Equally you have to be careful not to go too far and take the life out of the sound. Its all about balance every step of the way - taking something out can make something else stronger. Thinking about complementary sounds in the first place also helps a lot. I whack a high pass filter on practically everything but my bass / kick drum to take out everything below 50-200 Hz ish (depending on sound). Also making sure your kick drum and bass play nicely by any combo of careful arrangement so they dont overlap, tuning them so they are sympathetic with each other frequency wise, or the old favourite of sidechain compression to duck the bass when the kick hits.

ZoyzaSorris

just realised there wasn another good thread for production discussion. Had no idea this site had so many music making folk, good stuff.
Liking a lot of the tunes that have been posted, just making my way through em now.