Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:15:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Post your own FREE music

Started by Neomod, September 17, 2011, 03:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

Ta! Just listening to the rest of the stuff in the thread. Nags your (last one posted) track is great, put a big smile on my face. I agree could well see that going viral on youtube... Just listening to flavournaughts side two, very nice and mellow.

Desi Dubs Dallas

Q Did you do this one too?
FLAVORNAUGHTS - Mexican Rave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uz_7xz1Yw4&feature=related

Its fucking excellent!

QtheRaider

cheers Desi, yes that was me though i didnt do the video. im going to put the whole album up on youtube when i get round to doing the videos... it might take some time!

cheers Beagle 2

daf

katzenjammer

I made this a long time ago with a little help from Ennio Morricone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiHR38E9ilA

SteveDave

My new group's 1st EP is coming out on Elefant in a few months. Is it OK to post links to it here when it does come out?

The Masked Unit

GoochDogHigh5s

garbed_attic

Gout Pony's 'A Family Gouting' is primed for release. To wet your music tastin' lips, please do hear this sorry tale in a genre perhaps heretofor unheard of, blues-cheerleader anthem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA2YHRGdVu4

Nik Drou

Hi all.

I was going though some old minidiscs and remembered that I have hundreds of beats recorded from my days of making hip-hop. The majority are unlistenable and almost all of them never got within fifty yards of a half-decent mixdown. Some are fun, though, so I hooked up my player to my fool of a laptop soundcard and ruined the fidelity even more in the process of manually recording them to mp3. Here are four tracks to get the ball rolling:

http://soundcloud.com/nikdroumusic/sets/old-minidisc-beats

lazyhour

Quote from: SteveDave on March 10, 2012, 12:53:06 PM
My new group's 1st EP is coming out on Elefant in a few months. Is it OK to post links to it here when it does come out?

Elefant, nice one! What's the name of your group?

QtheRaider

Beagle 2

Really excellent SteveDave! Fantastic voice. Track 2 my favourite. I was sceptical about the name of the band until I saw the logo, and then, well it makes all kinds of sense. Best of luck with the release intit.

QtheRaider

http://youtu.be/VmLM5VcKm4M

another old song with a new video

Juryman vs the Flavornaughts
Childhood

lipsink

I've got back into recording my own stuff recently. But the problem I've always found it getting the overall volume level right for the songs when I'm mixing the final product. Is there any way of making sure a finished song is too 'loud' or 'quiet' other than just listening to it side by side with a commercially released song and checking if the volume needs to be raised or lowered?

NoSleep

Quote from: lipsink on March 15, 2012, 09:48:59 PM
I've got back into recording my own stuff recently. But the problem I've always found it getting the overall volume level right for the songs when I'm mixing the final product. Is there any way of making sure a finished song is too 'loud' or 'quiet' other than just listening to it side by side with a commercially released song and checking if the volume needs to be raised or lowered?

The best marker, from one song to another, is to check the level of the vocals. Simply; if you recorded a single voice accompanied by an acoustic guitar, you would not want it to blare at the same overall level of the metal track that follows it. The thing that will guide you is making the vocals sit at a listenable level in both. It tends to be the thing in a mix that makes people want to turn a song up or down, as, I guess, we're all tuned in to the frequencies and nuances of the human voice.

Regarding measuring up to other people's music: Take heed of warnings about joining in with the Loudness War. At the same time, It makes sense to utilise as much resolution as possible in a mix, so tickling just below 0dB (without touching it) makes sense a lot of the time; at least if you're pumping out hiphop, full-on rock or dance tracks; I'd warn against this if it's ambient or quiet acoustic music as there should be some dynamic contrast.
Careful use of a limiter over the final mix would be the best advice; not to crush all the dynamics out of the track, but to allow yourself not to worry about the odd peak hitting 0db.

lipsink

Thanks NoSleep. I have Boss digital 8 track and I usually edit the song with Audacity when I'm finished. It's quiet acoustic music which I usually tried to make really loud before as I was worried about people not being able to hear it.

Neomod

I spent my Sunday creating this tasty morsel for my ahem 'comedy' electro duo[nb]basically an old college band reanimated[/nb]. I think I've managed to chuck in everything bar the kitchen sink. Dynamics? PAH!

Pretty sure the verse vocals need work so I'll redo them. I find it really tough sometimes to get a good vocal sound. Any ideas on the right chain of limiters, compressors etc?

Anyway, not bad for a days work.

http://captscarlet.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/blow-up.html

Beagle 2

First track I've done on Logic, on me lovely new mac!

I Met a Man

SteveDave

Anyone on here run a blog that reviews music & wants a free copy of my band Knickers' 1st EP? Digital mind.

Email me at knickersorganisation (at) gmail (dot) com

QtheRaider

RickyGerbail

anyone got an idea of what kind of trickery might produce the guitar/keyboard sound that the cure uses in last dance from disintegration? it's the most prominent melodic line that's used in the beginning after the initial "breakdown" with a decending bassline thing that the song starts with.

bomb_dog

Quote from: QtheRaider on May 11, 2012, 03:13:06 PMhttp://youtu.be/E-kP2K0IXT0 - new music and video

You are all clever, creative gits and I hate you all. Only joking. Well done. Some good stuff here. Wanted to hear more of the above link too.

Over the last year or so I've been trying, neh-struggling, to make some music on the PC. Have a lovely Roland PCR-300, a Novation Launchpad to ensure I'm entranced by the blinkenlighten, and enough samples, effects and soft-synths to make more noise than necessary. Learning all about chords, melody, compression, EQ, flanging, limiting, chorus effects, delay... and finding it really rewarding but a slow, slow process.

The more stuff I learn, the more I'm finding that where I hear a song and don't like a tune or style, I can still find interest in listening to the production. What I find tricky to understand is the complexity involved where people manage to put plugins A, B, and C in the right order, with all the right settings, and then do this on different instruments and they all blend successfully in the mix. I'm sure its a lot of luck and judgement, and after that, experience.

Do you lot chuck ideas down and let them evolve, making loads then throwing bits away as you go? Do you mix as you go or leave this right til the end? Nothing much matches by this point though, I've found. Perhaps I'm too picky or I'm trying to make everything sound great from the off. Going for a slow-ish, shoegazey type 'Jesu' sound may not help - dense sounds are obviously harder to sort out for a novice. How do you get decent clarity and stop things sounding too muddy?

QtheRaider

Quote from: bomb_dog on May 11, 2012, 11:36:40 PM
You are all clever, creative gits and I hate you all. Only joking. Well done. Some good stuff here. Wanted to hear more of the above link too.

Over the last year or so I've been trying, neh-struggling, to make some music on the PC. Have a lovely Roland PCR-300, a Novation Launchpad to ensure I'm entranced by the blinkenlighten, and enough samples, effects and soft-synths to make more noise than necessary. Learning all about chords, melody, compression, EQ, flanging, limiting, chorus effects, delay... and finding it really rewarding but a slow, slow process.

The more stuff I learn, the more I'm finding that where I hear a song and don't like a tune or style, I can still find interest in listening to the production. What I find tricky to understand is the complexity involved where people manage to put plugins A, B, and C in the right order, with all the right settings, and then do this on different instruments and they all blend successfully in the mix. I'm sure its a lot of luck and judgement, and after that, experience.

Do you lot chuck ideas down and let them evolve, making loads then throwing bits away as you go? Do you mix as you go or leave this right til the end? Nothing much matches by this point though, I've found. Perhaps I'm too picky or I'm trying to make everything sound great from the off. Going for a slow-ish, shoegazey type 'Jesu' sound may not help - dense sounds are obviously harder to sort out for a novice. How do you get decent clarity and stop things sounding too muddy?

i've been doing this since the 80's and i'm learning stuff all the time, i find things like computer music magazine usefull for tips i think thay have  a special about mixing out at the moment.
mixing has always been looked on as a dark art but read a few articals on it and you find you can make a big diffrence to your sound.
i get my stuff sounding as best as i can then i get a good sound enginier (No sleep Nigel) to do their thing dosent matter how good you get thay can always get more out of your track...bastards.

get stuck in sounds like you are already

post somthing on here i'd love to have a listen

bomb_dog

Noodle Lizard

What happens when you leave a man with no logic or reason with Logic and Reason.

http://soundcloud.com/noodlelizard/fucked-crow

Things do actually happen after around 50 seconds.  Not good things, mind.

bomb_dog

Scary stuff. All sounds nice and clear though. Still trying to get the hang of this Eq lark.