Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:13:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

[TECHY] Vinyl to mp3 or Vinyl to CD options

Started by 23 Daves, September 18, 2011, 08:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

23 Daves

Right, finally got the necessary leads today and on my first attempt, I was slightly surprised to hear nothing but a very faint whisper of a recording of some music combined with what sounded like an irate gentleman spluttering: "Oh for fuck's sake, why isn't this working?" Of course, only then did I realise that Audacity had defaulted to the Macbook's inbuilt microphone rather than the line-in jack!  Luckily we all saw the funny side.

After that schoolboy error, I've managed to get some sound which is marginally worse than what I'd been getting from my previous set-up, but not greatly so - certainly, I think it passes.  My only problem at the moment is slight distortion rather than low volume output, believe it or not.  Even at its absolute lowest input volume setting, my Mac is sending the volume graphs flashing into the red during the recording process and I can't find an easy way of reducing this still further.  Not really a problem I was anticipating in the slightest. 

mcbpete

You've probably already done this but just double checking:

Configure Your System Preferences
Now that your Mac can hear the recording, we need to make it listen. From the Apple menu, select System Preferences, and then select Sound.

If you have an iMac, eMac or Apple portable, set the input to Microphone and run your finger over your Mac's built-in mic. (The mic looks like a little hole in your case.) This will make the input level indicator go crazy.

Note that the blue Input Level bar is at maximum.

When we begin recording, a "crazy" Input Level bar will be a very bad thing. Set the sensitivity of your audio input by adjusting the Input Volume slider - set it right in the middle.

Finally, select Line In as the device for sound input. Close the System Preferences.

Your Mac is now ready to listen to your record player!

I accept the terms of the

This is why I think it's worth paying £20 for something like the USB sound card I linked earlier. They're engineered for the signal levels you'd expect from a turntable, and will just sound better, IMO. No matter how much tweaking you do with your general-purpose PC sound card.

23 Daves

Quote from: mcbpete on September 23, 2011, 03:00:09 PM
You've probably already done this but just double checking:

(*Coughs, looks at shoes*)

Oh yeah.  I mean, I haven't tried it yet, but you're quite right, I'd forgotten about the line-in option under the Preferences menu.  I suspect that's that mystery solved. 

dr_christian_troy

Can anyone recommend the best way to play vinyl live whilst on the radio, using Winamp? It seems very long-winded at present.

Phil_A

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on October 14, 2011, 05:16:39 PM
Can anyone recommend the best way to play vinyl live whilst on the radio, using Winamp? It seems very long-winded at present.

Hmm. Do you have anything plugged into your sound card's line-in jack when you cast? If not, then you might be able to just plug your turntable straight into the line in and play the sound via stereo mix(bearing in mind I haven't actually tried this. I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work, though).

NoSleep

This probably repeats a few things others have said (to 23daves), but....

Don't go for a USB/Turntable thing if you're a fan of warmth and bottom end from your vinyl selection. Especially as you already have a turntable.

Preferably don't use the audio inputs built into the Mac, either.

An external audio interface will last through to your next-purchased computer and sound significantly better than the two above.

Get an audio interface that allows for control of the input level; the Behringer UFO202, above, doesn't have this option (but is incredibly cheap - £25) only offers 16-bit, and you already have a phono amp built into your hifi amp. Try something like the Lexicon Alpha (£50).