Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:31:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What is your musical Holy Grail?

Started by elderford, June 09, 2004, 09:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z/Sb

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"What are they then Devlin? I haven't heard of them. Any links to information about them, I like little stories like this.

Having searched google, I can't find anything about it, which suggests it was only a rumour created by fans who wish there was more recorded stuff by him, but basically the story goes that Hendrix had the tapes for what would have been his last studio album, and accidentally left them in the back of a taxi cab. Porcupine Tree's "The Creator Has A Mastertape" is almost certainly inspired by the story, so it clearly wasn't just a dream I had.

Paaaaul

Quote from: "Z/Sb"Who would really want the Las to reform? Not them for a start...
John Power's Cast were so much better and he was a far more charsimatic and appealing lead singer than whatshisname with the attitude problem in the Las ever was.
And talking of Cast - surely a hits collection and a new (cash-in) single should be due by now?

[coughs] Cock! [/coughs]

Jemble Fred

If we're talking about stuff that's lost forever, it would have been nice to have saved Ringo's tapes before they all burnt away to nothing, and the same goes for whatever recordings went down with Viv Stanshall's boat. It's like the torching of the monasteries, isn't it?

Des Nilsen

Quote from: "DevlinC"
Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"What are they then Devlin? I haven't heard of them. Any links to information about them, I like little stories like this.

Having searched google, I can't find anything about it, which suggests it was only a rumour created by fans who wish there was more recorded stuff by him, but basically the story goes that Hendrix had the tapes for what would have been his last studio album, and accidentally left them in the back of a taxi cab. Porcupine Tree's "The Creator Has A Mastertape" is almost certainly inspired by the story, so it clearly wasn't just a dream I had.

I think the tapes left in a cab were actually the original final mixes for side two of 'Axis: Bold As Love' - Hendrix left them in a taxi early on Halloween morning 1967 and Chas Chandler and Jimi had to remix that side of the album in one night to make the release date.

I haven't ever heard that final album thing you mentioned, so if that's a genuine rumour (though not necessarily true) it's passed me by. Most of what Hendrix recorded for his new album actually sits in the vaults as demo and half-finished material and a lot of the more complete stuff was released on 'First Rays Of The New Rising Sun' - close but no cigar.
It's a great set of songs, but it's hard to listen to it because it just isn't finished, nor will it ever be.
:(

My musical holy grail - I'll get back to you... difficult to decide.

-

wouldn't mind if I had been the bloke who picked up Richard James's mp3 player that he left on that plane. Apparently had up to five years of work on it. As is, it was probably overwritten with Dido b-sides by some clueless air-monkey.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: "DevlinC"I'm surprised no one's mentioned the master tapes that Hendrix left in that taxi cab...

If they actually exist at all, I had heard something about that..
I haven't heard of that.  Maybe you're thinking of the time Jimi took the master reel of one disc of Electric Ladyland to a party and lost it, and they had to record it all again.

Ramses VIII

My musical Holy Grail was the original `Meanwhile Gardens` LP by Levitation  with Terry Bickers on vocals-never released or finished and completely unobtainable to my knowledge for 10 years- i recently bought a CDR which seems to be recorded from a promo LP/acetate. And its preety crap.

lookin for suzannas a funny old pig dude. and theme tune from the teachers (la la la la la la la la la teaching, hes the boy in front of the class, teaching!)

Key

Quote from: "9"wouldn't mind if I had been the bloke who picked up Richard James's mp3 player that he left on that plane. Apparently had up to five years of work on it. As is, it was probably overwritten with Dido b-sides by some clueless air-monkey.

Yeah it supposedly had loads of unreleased Squarepusher on it as well, but then again it could all be a pile of bull.

I'd love to hear the aborted studio recordings of Radiohead's True Love Waits that somehow down the line morphed into Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors off Amnesiac.

Lord Spong

Quote from: "TJ"I have no firm knowledge one way or the other on what Mavers and Power are up to (or not).

John Power was performing a solo set at the Coventry Godiva Festival last Saturday.  I arrived just as he finished, so I don't know if he was doing Las/Cast stuff, or new songs.  I believe he has a solo tour coming up as well.  Whether this means Cast are now defunct I also don't know.

Lee Mavers is working in a plant shop over the road from a pub slled the `Daniel Defoe` in Stoke Newington High Street.

The Fanciful Norwegian

The original song titles from the Impaled Northern Moon Forest demo. This is actually nowhere within 12,000 miles of a Holy Grail of any kind but I'd like to see them found anyway.

no_offenc

Lee Mavers lives down the road from a friend of mine, apparently.  And he's a scruff, alledgedly.

By the way, I don't get why all these bands (Space, The La's, Cast etc etc) are so revered.......they're all cak.  Nobody from round here (Liverpool way) that I know likes them.

TJ, do you go to any gigs round here?  Don't say "Oh yeah, I love going to Hey Hey My My at the Zanzibar", cos that's bad.

Themes For The Well Dressed Man, the original Housemartins demo tape.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "no_offenc"Lee Mavers lives down the road from a friend of mine, apparently.  And he's a scruff, alledgedly.
What's a scruff? I feel really stupid now.

no_offenc

Uh, someone who's generally a bit unkempt and messy.

As in "Clean yourself up a bit then, you bloody scruffy get".

TJ

Quote from: "no_offenc"Lee Mavers lives down the road from a friend of mine, apparently.  And he's a scruff, alledgedly.

By the way, I don't get why all these bands (Space, The La's, Cast etc etc) are so revered.......they're all cak.  Nobody from round here (Liverpool way) that I know likes them.

That's true enough. Nobody likes The Coral or Tramp Attack either.

QuoteTJ, do you go to any gigs round here?  Don't say "Oh yeah, I love going to Hey Hey My My at the Zanzibar", cos that's bad.

Indeed I do...

the hum

Quote from: "morgs"Call me a sad old prog head (which I am not with one exception) but I would love to hear proper recordings of what Marillion were doing when they were still Silmarillion and Fish hadn't yet joined...

Now that would be interesting, provided I could tolerate Mick Pointer's abominable drumming.  Marillion are one of those bands who've been very good at coughing up their old rarities and demos.  It was interesting hearing the stuff on the Clutching at Straws remaster, much of which eventually turned up on a different form on Seasons End after Fish left.  It's a bit strange though that nothing has been surfaced from pre-Fish.

Goldentony

QuoteThat's true enough. Nobody likes The Coral or Tramp Attack either.

i dont know, i quite like tramp attack but thats it really

Lumiere

Lots of Floyd stuff:

Waters' original demos for The Wall (these are supposedly floating around in bootleg form, but they're the actual full album demos done with Gilmour. Waters did the album demos on his own), along with Waters' original demos for Pros And Cons Of Hitchiking (actually music heavy, apparently).
The basic home demo of DSOTM. Very weird, apparently.
The original ANIMALS demos.

Gamma Ray

Lumiere

If we're talking about rare official releases, that gamma ray release

and sonic youth - sonic youth.