Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:02:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

[muso] Acoustic Guitars

Started by a bald avuncular jew, June 09, 2004, 12:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a bald avuncular jew

I want one.  I'm rather sick of my electric, and have enjoyed playing on acoustics in the past.  Plus, my electric is a bit knackered anyway, the little wire that connects to the thing where you plug the lead in has been soldered to death as it keeps coming loose, and it now looks like the wire needs replaced.  Is this doable or do I need to fork out 20 quid or more to some greasy-haired luthier?

Anyway, acoustic guitars, how do you buy one then?  I can probably spend up to 100 quid, but would have to save quite some time to do so, so around the 60 quid mark might be better.  Any advice or favourite models that you want to share with me?  Can they be bought cheaper online?

A Passing Turk Slipper

Well I want one of these although I think they cost quite a bit. For a hundred quid I'd probably go for gettting an acoustic from your local second hand music shop. A new one for that price wouldn't be brilliant quality(I could be wrong though), and I think it would be a lot more of a bargain to buy second hand. I bought a mandolin second hand a while ago for £50 and it has been great, really nice quality for that price. I'm no expert, I'm sure Frinky and the like will be able to give you some better advice. (On the subject of acoustics what is the lovely guitar Shane Macgowan is holding on the front cover of the Pogues Best Of?)

i'd just shop around and try as many as you can. Compare the sound of as many different kinds as you can and you'll eventually find one you love. Its worth spending a bit more to get one with a really distinctive pure tone as there are some absolute dogs out there and hopefully a quality instrument will last you a long time. Good luck!

Gazeuse

i recently bought a Santa Ana with electrics in for £175 recently...I thought that that was a fantastic deal.

It's far from perfect, but fine for my needs. I'm not sure if they do an elecric free version.

I'd agree that you gets what you pays for and the more you can spend, the better.

Frinky

"Vintage" makes the shittiest, scabbiest, nastiest, hand-cutting Les Paul and SG rip-offs I've ever played, and I make it my mission to politely ask shop staff to remove them from my presnce before I enter the shop.

However, in London with a friend, he picked up a Vintage Accoustic and started playing it, and it sounded very nice (so I stole it from him) - much richer and devoid of the tin-attack of the other models he played in that price range (about £150/180). Notes bloomed really nicely on it, and the overall feel was quite scrummy, nice satin neck. So, I'd reccomend you have a look at these.

Yamaha also make very nice accoustics. Stear clear of the Epiphones or the cheap Fenders.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "Frinky"
. Stear clear of the Epiphones or the cheap Fenders.

Why so? I've got an Epiphone acoustic and it does the job okay. Mind, I'm not really an expert on guitars, and I can't really afford to splash out on the best ones.

Gazeuse

Quote from: "Frinky"

Yamaha also make very nice accoustics.

I've played some fantastic Yamaha acoustics too, but I've not seen them for less that £300.

I must admit I didn't look at any without electrics inside because it's a pain in the arse balancing a guitar on your knee, keeping good mic placement and pressing the record button all in one go without dropping the plectrum down the hole.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "Gazeuse"

I must admit I didn't look at any without electrics inside because it's a pain in the arse balancing a guitar on your knee, keeping good mic placement and pressing the record button all in one go without dropping the plectrum down the hole.

Hah, I have pretty much that same problem! My mic stand is crap so I have to kind of balance it so the head it over the edge of the upper tier on my computer desk, slide my keyboard underneath so I can get in close with my acoustic, put my hand under to click the mouse and get everything going, turn off the monitor to get rid of the interference then start playing. Gets rather tiring after 30-40 takes.....

Frinky

Quote from: "The Unicorn"Why so? I've got an Epiphone acoustic and it does the job okay. Mind, I'm not really an expert on guitars, and I can't really afford to splash out on the best ones.

Gagh, I knew I'd offend someone.

What I meant is that you can get better than Epiphone for less than Epiphone money.

I pay the extras for Gibsons and Fenders 'cos they're worth it, but I've since discovered several times that paying the premium for the "By Gibson" or "By Fender" etc suffix attached to Korean or Chinese guitars really, really isn't worth it.

If you like your guitar, and it does what you want, then it's worth what you paid for it - musical intruments are a really subjective field. I'm just saying that the "cheap" Fenders are too expensive becuase they have the Fender name (and nothing to warrant having it), and Epiphones are just re-badged Sammicks with a price premium on top. You can get better from other manufacturers for less.

No offence intended :)

El Unicornio, mang

Heh, you didn't offend me! Just wondering, cos like I say I'm not sure about guitars. All I have is a Squire Telecaster and an Epiphone acoustic and I do all my recording with them. I'd love to have some other stuff, a guy wanted to sell me his 12-string acoustic for a hundred but I ended up getting the Epiphone cos I hadn't seen him in a while, saw him a few days later and he was still offering it but I had to turn it down. Shame, although I don't think I could be arsed with all the tuning!