Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:45:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

[Techy] Is my switch buggered, or is it just me?

Started by Jaffa The Cake, June 09, 2004, 03:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaffa The Cake

Right, since I'm off to London (where I intend to get broadband) I decided to buy myself a router (which has an ADSL modem in it) and a switch. They arrived this morning, so I decided to test them.

So, I plugged the router into the computer, and it seems to work. I can't test the ADSL part here, but I can access its advanced settings & change its IP address etc. So, I then plugged the router into the switch, and my computer into the switch. When the switch powers up, the lights flash on, then off. The power light stays on, but nothing else. As far as my computer's aware, there's no network connection.

Am I doing anything stupid, or is the switch parped?

MojoJojo

Neither of your cables into the switch are crossover ones are they? They should patch ones. If you can use the leads to connect two computers together directly, then they are crossover cables.

Ummm... you should probably check both network cables to make sure they are both working.

Any other fixable switch problems I can think of are bizarre, unlikely, and probably wrong.

Jaffa The Cake

I tried both patch cable and crossover cable, not a sausage.

MojoJojo

Sounds like it is probably messed-up, from my limited experience.
Try all the different ports, look at any switches on the switch, but I imagine you have done all that. Try some different computers if you can.

Switches have got a lot cheaper lately, but they seem a bit unreliable. My mate got a £10 one from Scan that just didn't work. Getting it replaced with have cost him £10 in P&P, so he hasn't bothered.

Jaffa The Cake

Just tried it again with patch cables. The cables both work because I tried them both PC to router, but once the switch comes in, nither the router or PC are aware of any kind of network connection.

Pretty convinced it's fuckuled now.

Jaffa The Cake

Quote from: "MojoJojo"Switches have got a lot cheaper lately, but they seem a bit unreliable. My mate got a £10 one from Scan that just didn't work. Getting it replaced with have cost him £10 in P&P, so he hasn't bothered.
He should have got it from ebuyer. The switch was £7, I rang em up and said "I think it's knacked, but I'd rather check I'm doing everything right in case it's my fault"
Their reply was along the lines of "We don't really care if you're fucking it up or not, you'll have another by tomorrow. It'll cost us more to pick up the dead one than it's worth, so just throw it away"

I'm kinda hoping it is just me messing it up, cos then I'll have two.

MojoJojo

Quote from: "Jaffa The Cake"Just tried it again with patch cables. The cables both work because I tried them both PC to router, but once the switch comes in, nither the router or PC are aware of any kind of network connection.

Pretty convinced it's fuckuled now.

Hang on, patch cables shouldn't of worked from Desktop to the Router without anything in the way... it's possible the Router is doing the crossover for you. Is there any switch on it or anything which may change that behaviour?  

It may autodetect it... i think some devices do that.

Jaffa The Cake

By 'worked' I mean windows popped up that little bubble saying "100mbit network detected" (or whatever) and the LAN light on the router went on. Didn't try any communication between the devices.

The cables have "patch cable" written all over them, and they were a lot cheaper than my 2m crossover cable (the patch cables are 10m).

I tried using the switch to connect a laptop and my PC together, and that didn't work so I don't think the router is causing the problem. There's no switches on either the switch or router btw.

MojoJojo

I'm going to shut up now, 'cos I think you know as much as I do, possibly more. So I'm not helping much.

Jaffa The Cake

I'm pretty new to setting up networks, I was fully expecting someone so say something like "Stupid fuck, switches only work if the network cables are tartan coloured and made of mouse eyelids" or something.

Meh, we'll see how this new one goes when I get it. House hunting in London tomorra so it'll have to wait till Friday.

Lewis

Quote from: "Jaffa The Cake"House hunting in London tomorra so it'll have to wait till Friday.

Urgh. Poor bastard; you have my sympathy - I had to do that a few months ago, absolute nightmare... why are all Letting agents absolute cunts?

Sorry to go off-topic but just had to get that off my chest

Jaffa The Cake

Even worse, I really could do with a place by Saturday. Else I'll be staying with friends and having to commute in till I get somewhere.

Having said that, if this agent pisses me about I'm likely to go ape shit as I'd have spent 5 hours getting there from the other end of the country... on a TRAIN.

Lewis

Quote from: "Jaffa The Cake"Even worse, I really could do with a place by Saturday. Else I'll be staying with friends and having to commute in till I get somewhere.

Yeah, I did that for 3 months when I first moved to London, if you like sleep and don't like smelling or having a bad back then I wouldn't recommend it.

QuoteHaving said that, if this agent pisses me about I'm likely to go ape shit as I'd have spent 5 hours getting there from the other end of the country... on a TRAIN.

Whereabouts is this agent based? Might be worth checking yell.com for other agents in the area just in case.

terminallyrelaxed

I'd book a few appointments to see the flats in http://www.findaproperty.co.uk/ before you go - you can just phone up and they'll usually arrange to meet you the same day, I've seen 6 in a working day before on short notice just from adverts posted on that site.

Not being pedantic, but assuming you've actually tried following the instructions to the letter and also assuming bothe the router and the switch were powered on anc connected before you switched on the PC, and as you've gone to the trouble of testing the cables I'll asume you've taken these basic steps, then I'd concur that its b0rked.
Crikey, you must have a fair few computers to need a switch, or does the router not have many ethernet ports?

Jaffa The Cake

Router's just 1 port, so I need a switch to connect 2 (or 3) computers to the internet. I have a PC & a shuttle (which I use to screen divx etc on a TV) and my flat mate will have a PC.

Anyway, looking round places in London is quite difficult for me because I live in Carlisle, which is near the border between England & Scotland. So rather than arrange loads of appointments with different agents, I just told one to show me round as many places as possible tomorrow. I think most of these are along the DLR, hopfully at least one of them will be nice and decently priced.

terminallyrelaxed

Well good luck! You could always print out a few other interesting properties from the site and then just call them up if you have time left over or you don't like what you've seen. If you're in the area you can often arrange to view within half an hour....
A shuttle? Is that one of them compact cube-like barebones PC systems?