Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:22:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kindle Fire and new Kindles

Started by Ignatius_S, September 28, 2011, 04:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatius_S

As predicted, Amazon has confirmed it's releasing a tablet for $199 - it's also announced that there will be three Kindle models: Touch 3G ($149), Touch ($99), Kindle ($79).

Sure there are many, many articles to come but here's Engadget's coverage of the unveiling.

Blumf

Will they still sell plain old e-ink models? I'd pick up a current gen Kindle if the price was a little bit lower.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/28/amazon_colour_kindle_web_proxy/
QuoteAmazon has also turned its EC2 servers into a giant fuck-off web proxy

Little over excited about web-proxys there

mook

any ideas when this will be available in the UK? it's showing up for pre-order on amazon's .com address, but not on the co.uk. one.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: I accept the terms of the on September 28, 2011, 04:07:32 PM
How long do you think it will take them to remove all the material about LCDs being shit for reading books on?...

It'll certainly be modified, but there's bound to be some information about why e-ink is superior in certain ways (e.g. easier to read in sunlight). It'll be interesting to see if people get confused and think the Fire has e-ink capability.

Quote from: Blumf on September 28, 2011, 04:21:17 PM
Will they still sell plain old e-ink models? I'd pick up a current gen Kindle if the price was a little bit lower...

All the non-Fire models announced use e-ink – I don't think that it's been announced whether the Kindle 3 will be continued or not. The $79 model is cheaper than the Kindle 3 and has five buttons instead of a keyboard.

*edit* The $79 model is available to pre-order for £89. The Kindle 3 models are still available and now called Kindle Keyboard and Kindle Keyboard 3G. The former is £109, which I think means they've cut the price by £2!

Comparisons are here - the new one is smaller and lighter, it also has less battery life (up to 1 month, instead of 2) and half the storage (2GB instead of 4GB), but I can't see that as too much of a downside.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: mook on September 28, 2011, 04:33:21 PM
any ideas when this will be available in the UK? it's showing up for pre-order on amazon's .com address, but not on the co.uk. one.

Amazon hasn't announced a UK/international release date, so it's probably not going to be that soon, particularly as they're shipping in the States towards the end of November. Possibly in the New Year, but that's just a guess.

Blumf

Quote from: Ignatius_S on September 28, 2011, 04:45:28 PM
Possibly in the New Year, but that's just a guess.

It'd be surprising if they miss the Christmas rush.

I accept the terms of the

Quote from: Ignatius_S on September 28, 2011, 04:41:07 PM
It'll certainly be modified, but there's bound to be some information about why e-ink is superior in certain ways (e.g. easier to read in sunlight).
I'm expecting it to change to "and for people who prefer a classic book-reading experience...".

Ignatius_S

Quote from: I accept the terms of the on September 28, 2011, 04:55:31 PM
I'm expecting it to change to "and for people who prefer a classic book-reading experience...".

I would put a TM on that if I was you!

mook

Quote from: Ignatius_S on September 28, 2011, 04:45:28 PM
Amazon hasn't announced a UK/international release date, so it's probably not going to be that soon, particularly as they're shipping in the States towards the end of November. Possibly in the New Year, but that's just a guess.

ah right thanks.

bloody typical though, i just bought a 3g+wifi kindle last saturday as a present for my father-out-laws birthday. i must admit the video for the fire does look good - i'll definitely be pre-ordering as soon as it's available here.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Blumf on September 28, 2011, 04:53:40 PM
It'd be surprising if they miss the Christmas rush.

With tablets, international releases do tend to follow the American one. It's possible that Amazon will start shipping the Kindle Fire over here, hot (no pun intended) on the heels of the American release, but if I had to make a guess, I would be inclined to say it's going to be two-three months after. Rather than going for a major world-wide launch, I suspect Amazon will want to do a more limited one in order to gauge the reaction and adjust production accordingly.

Quote from: mook on September 28, 2011, 05:04:37 PM
ah right thanks.

bloody typical though, i just bought a 3g+wifi kindle last saturday as a present for my father-out-laws birthday. i must admit the video for the fire does look good - i'll definitely be pre-ordering as soon as it's available here.

Ha, that's so often the way!

As I say, it's just a guess about when the Fire is released (based on not too much information) but do feel it's more likely to be a 2012 release for the UK.

MojoJojo

Unlike other hardware releases, Amazon have to sort out some infrastructure stuff and more annoyingly licensing for the video streaming and stuff. Which points to a later release. Which is a shame as at that price point[nb]even with the almost inevitable UK markup[/nb] it looks like being a bit of a no-brainer to me. Especially because I already have Amazon Prime.

Famous Mortimer

As long as you don't need some awful proprietary software to put things on it, I'm there.

Ignatius_S

Hands-on reports of the new e-reader look very positive - the prices I quoted above (except for the Fire) are for the ad-supported versions.

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 28, 2011, 05:42:36 PM
Unlike other hardware releases, Amazon have to sort out some infrastructure stuff and more annoyingly licensing for the video streaming and stuff. Which points to a later release....

That's a very good point - as Fire uses Amazon Cloud, that service needs to get sorted out over here first, so it's most likely going to be later, rather than sooner.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 28, 2011, 06:53:34 PM
As long as you don't need some awful proprietary software to put things on it, I'm there.

Hacks who have been able to get their mitts on the device don't appear have been allowed to actually use it (or touch the touch screen), but I'm sure it's going to be very user-friendly and accessing content (its raision d'etre) won't be a problem... as it looks such a closed system, if it is a problem, they're screwed!

BlodwynPig

Fuck this. When are they releasing the e-bath?