Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:12:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bye bye 3D?

Started by VegaLA, September 29, 2011, 12:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Blumf on October 02, 2011, 11:43:32 PMGetting impossible focusing is liable to be even worse and could result in various problems like headaches and nausea.
All part of my plan...

Zetetic

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on October 02, 2011, 10:17:32 AM
I'm sure it's a little more complex than that, but I can't see any other way of doing it if you don't actually have a second angle from which to see the action.
By doing what you do when faced with a photograph, I'm wondering...

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 02, 2011, 07:59:10 PM
That is the basic gist of it.
Are there programs that are basically a more advanced version of this? There's an absolute ton of depth information in (real, natural) image after all, and even more in changing scenes, and even more in scenes if the viewer is moving and you know how it is (which I imagine they do, as they must track camera position for effects stuff).

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Zetetic on October 03, 2011, 01:37:31 AM
they must track camera position for effects stuff).
Indeed so. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match_moving
It works by analysing the parallax in a shot. With sufficient motion, you can generate a fairly detailed reconstruction of the scene, so I guess the 3D conversion process is some combination of those two techniques.

Santa's Boyfriend

I really hope they go back to the moon with a 3D camera.  THAT would be good use of the technology.

Petey Pate

Here's an interesting graph which charts the number of 3D film releases over the years, though it only goes up to 2008.

phes

Presumably we're just short of the ILLEGAL DOWNLOADING THREATENS CINEMA ATTENDANCE - HOLLYWOOD DESPERATE! spike

BlodwynPig

Quote from: phes on October 03, 2011, 12:01:26 PM
Presumably we're just short of the ILLEGAL DOWNLOADING THREATENS CINEMA ATTENDANCE - HOLLYWOOD DESPERATE! spike

As discussed in Kermode's book.

BlodwynPig

presumably the bars for 2008-2010 are projections? I guess they got that wrong then.

Hollow

Never seen one of the 'new' 3D films, never going to either.

I honestly think the films of the latter part of the last decade are going to be a laughing stock in twenty years time.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: phes on October 01, 2011, 10:12:20 PM
Watching 2d versions of films made for 3d is also a ridiculous experience though. You spend most of the film pointlessly being being directed towards things that are supposed to be interfering with you. It really lays bare just how crap and empty a lot of these novelties are.

Exactly.  I can't think of a case where any of these movies have actually been good on their own merits either, my point was that the 3D nowhere near makes up for the lack in "those other things" (namely plot, writing, direction, acting etc.), so you may as well save your cash.

BlodwynPig

Cave of Forgotten Dreams anyone?

pk1yen

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 03, 2011, 09:57:30 PM
Exactly.  I can't think of a case where any of these movies have actually been good on their own merits either, my point was that the 3D nowhere near makes up for the lack in "those other things" (namely plot, writing, direction, acting etc.), so you may as well save your cash.

I saw Saw 3D in 3D at the cinema, and since then I've seen it in 2D on a laptop - and forgot it was supposed to be in 3D (because it was rather good).
Jackass 3D I've only ever seen in 2D sadly (and that was awesome).

(I realise this post doesn't exactly make me seem like a cinema connoisseur).

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 03, 2011, 10:00:06 PM

I saw that and loved it, but I have to say the experience was somewhat diminished by the use of active 3D at Bristol Watershed.  The flickering does my head in, and the weight of the glasses gets quite uncomfortable after a while.

mjwilson

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 03, 2011, 10:00:06 PM

The 3D seemed surprisingly pointless to me after about half an hour. Would have been quite happy with it in 2D in the end, I think.