Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:56:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus on PS3

Started by EFB, October 01, 2011, 01:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EFB

Anyone else got these? I didn't realise that they supported 3D tellies until they arrived yesterday. Shadow in 3D is amazing. It's the first use of 3D that has really added to the experience (as opposed to *being* the experience).

chand

I've got it, not got a 3D telly though. Playing Ico again has been a joy though.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

If I had a PS3, I would get Ico in a heartbeat.

As I've moaned before, however, SOTC can rot in hell.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 03, 2011, 01:11:54 AM
If I had a PS3, I would get Ico in a heartbeat.

As I've moaned before, however, SOTC can rot in hell.

I've been waiting for you to pipe up! (Cheeky smiley wink.)

I have to say SOTC looked impressive in HD, but I'm not entirely sure I can stand playing it through again.
Spoiler alert
It's so fucking depressing and melancholy. Plus the trophies look tough and I'm OCD for trophies.
[close]

Little Hoover

From what I've heard, the mechanics of Ico have started to feel a little dated, but SOTC really benefits because it doesn't have the huge slowdown problems that SOTC suffered.

I can relate to not wanting to go through SOTC again, I loved it, but I don't want to revisit it.
Spoiler alert
In fact if there was ever a game that was about letting things ago and moving on, it's SOTC
[close]

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Little Hoover on October 03, 2011, 02:57:04 PM
I can relate to not wanting to go through SOTC again, I loved it, but I don't want to revisit it.
Spoiler alert
In fact if there was ever a game that was about letting things ago and moving on, it's SOTC
[close]

Spoiler alert
Ha! Absolutely. A game simultaneously ideally suited to and wholly inappropriate for an HD remake.
[close]

It's a beautiful world and the game's compelling, but by about colossus 7, I'm left feeling hollow and empty.

I'm sure I'll get it.

Quote from: Little Hoover on October 03, 2011, 02:57:04 PM
From what I've heard, the mechanics of Ico have started to feel a little dated, but SOTC really benefits because it doesn't have the huge slowdown problems that SOTC suffered.

Have seen that criticism levelled in every review of the HD version I've read. Can't say I noticed the frame rate all that much when playing it at the time... perhaps that's why I don't review games for a living!

Desperate to play Shadow in 3D though - it's supposed to be mighty impressive - unfortunately I'm poor and the only people I know who are extravagant enough to own those TVs are uncool Xbox types.

Also, in the Uncharted 3 thread someone was using the fact IGN has given it a 10 as some barometer of quality. These games were deemed 8.5; fucking FIFA got 9.5.

bitesize

I'd never played these games before the HD collection came out, since i never had a PS2. obviously i've heard gamers go on about these 2 legendary games but never had the chance to play em so jumped at these new HD remasters.

completely bowled over by Ico. so rare that you play a game that's been lauded that much, many years after release and it holds up so well next to current-gen stuff. obviously there's some technically clunky stuff, the camera is a bit nasty, the animation a bit jerky, the combat a bit hit-and-miss. but the design - incredible. the architecture of the castle is just amazing - so refreshing to not everything completely contrived. in most modern games, if there's a ledge or passage leading off somewhere, you know it's because there's some collectible hidden thing or upgrade at the end of it to find - in Ico, the ledges and passages where just there, because that's where you'd have a ledge or passage in a big castle. No collectibles, no health bars, no HUD, none of that stuff - made it all so immersive.

SOTC i'm less impressed with, i think just cos it's basically a game full of end-of-level bosses, and those are always my least favourite part of games. it's ingenious and i love the art style and world, and the creature design is pretty amazing. i'm just not hugely impressed with the gameplay, seems really shallow. i only got halfway through, i'll probably go back to it when i'm done with the current crop of games i'm playing, but it was definitely a bit of a disappointment after how much i loved Ico.

these have got me really excited for The Last Guardian tho, the videos look incredible.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: bitesize on November 01, 2011, 01:52:04 PM
SOTC i'm less impressed with, i think just cos it's basically a game full of end-of-level bosses, and those are always my least favourite part of games. it's ingenious and i love the art style and world, and the creature design is pretty amazing. i'm just not hugely impressed with the gameplay, seems really shallow.
Hooray! I'm not the only one.