Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:23:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Impressive Gaming Feats!

Started by Nik Drou, October 14, 2011, 08:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nik Drou

In anticipation for Arkham City, I have spent the majority of this afternoon attempting to replicate this particular gaming feat:

626 Hit Combo on Batman: Arkham Asylum

I could have maybe worked on a spec article for my blog, or read a bit more of this book I have about the Cyprus problem, but nope. 

After watching it several times, I can't work out any specific tactic he's using, other than using the batarangs more frequently.  Is he just getting really lucky?  Bah!

So, this thread is for particularly impressive videogaming that you've either seen, done or have footage of.  Here's another example that you've probably seen by now:

Someone Being Inhumanly Good At Tetris

samadriel

Junglist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7cW2nMf1gk

The absolute classic. If you don't play SF, you may struggle to 'get' it, but seriously, its insane. One single hit would've eliminated Daigo, then he pulls off that under an immense amount of pressure against possibly his biggest rival, at the biggest SF tournament out there, in front of thousands, live...Also, I meant to add, what he does is seriously, seriously fricking difficult.

And it won him the tournament.

Gives me goosebumps every time.

Little Hoover

I accept the terms of the

I can do "that bit" of VVVVVV twenty times in a row.

Big Jack McBastard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6nv6OK2V1Y

Lumines Live 230 blocks in a minute, dude must have thumbs like traction engines and eyes like a fusion powered hawk.

I think I managed to clock about 62 on my best run.

unky herb

I've started trying to 1 Credit Clear arcade games. I was going to post on here earlier in the year about how much more fun MAME games are when you don't keep inserting coins. I got sidetracked by playing MAME games though.

Anyway. The best I've done so far is Golden Axe on 1 credit, with only one life lost. I am still trying to do it with no lives lost so that my score is even better.

Unfortunately completing the hardcore bullet hell games on 1 credit is beyond me.

Check out LordKat who does Until We Win. That's endurance.

Quote from: Junglist on October 14, 2011, 09:49:24 PM
If you don't play SF, you may struggle to 'get' it, but seriously, its insane.

I've never played the game, but it's the crowd's reaction that gets me every time.

Big Jack McBastard

mcbpete

Quote from: I accept the terms of the on October 15, 2011, 12:24:41 AM
I can do "that bit" of VVVVVV twenty times in a row.
Thou liest !

*is jealous of your skills*

I accept the terms of the

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

None of my mates could get past about 10, but I dodged lightning 200 times in FFX twice. That's not really impressive though, more a case of autistic repetition.

HappyTree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuxapYRrxEk&feature=related

Puck Monster tabletop game

I have owned many games in my time but this is the only one that I have ever absolutely pwned! By the time I'd finished with it I could get 9999, the maximum score, with no lives lost. Blindfolded. Yes, I didn't even have to look at the screen. I think ever since that I've been resting on my laurels.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Steve Lampkins on October 15, 2011, 02:11:11 PM
I've never played the game, but it's the crowd's reaction that gets me every time.
Totally agree. I didn't even see what he was doing the first time, but I'll take the OP's word for it being completely difficult and the crowd's reaction.

I think, in full game terms, completing Max Payne 2 on the hardest mode with 3 saves throughout the whole game was my no.1 gaming achievement. Fuck, that was difficult. I daren't ever play it again because I know I haven't got the time in my life to get that good at it again, and it'd piss me off to die at stages I could walk through virtually blindfolded before.

Pete23

I played so much Doom back in the day that I managed to complete the first level while blindfolded and drunk after a mates stag do - I even got a couple of secrets along the way! in other Doom related feats, a mate killed that big rocket-handed Cyber Demon using only a chainsaw without any kind of powerups or protection. From what I can remember it took him almost an hour, but there was quite a lot of running away (I'm sure he died a fair few times as well).

Brent Cockman

The absolute classic. If you don't play SF, you may struggle to 'get' it, but seriously, its insane. One single hit would've eliminated Daigo, then he pulls off that under an immense amount of pressure against possibly his biggest rival, at the biggest SF tournament out there, in front of thousands, live...Also, I meant to add, what he does is seriously, seriously fricking difficult.

I agree, it's one of my favourite gaming moments ever, but I should clear up a couple of inaccuracies. Daigo didn't win the tournament but he did come second (it was KO that won), and there also wasn't a rivalry between he and Justin Wong until this moment I believe.

But yeah, great moment. There's alternate-angle footage of this moment floating around on YouTube where you can see Justin Wong's reactions in real-time, and when he sees Daigo parrying his super he actually starts mashing his own buttons as if it would have any bearing on the situation, hilarious stuff.

Puffin Chunks

Nothing good can come of this confession of geekdom... anyhow.

For a brief while I was the best player IN THE WORLD[nb]Not that great an achievement when you consider no one else really played it[/nb] at Vector TDx. An ultimately broken Tower Defence game. A little depressing to find that my one and only real talent is at a little played game that is unlikely to net me the fortune I am looking for.

Anyhow, in order to record my God-like status for eternity, I done a video (with obligatory global league table screenshot at the end). This technique has been honed and refined by players the world over, but at the time it was never bettered. Ultimately it proved that the game was broken and it was not possible to get further than Level 37.

This video is sped up (the full run probably took about half an hour):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxv6iDxgDTs

Quote from: Brent Cockman on October 22, 2011, 07:52:52 PM
There's alternate-angle footage of this moment floating around on YouTube where you can see Justin Wong's reactions in real-time, and when he sees Daigo parrying his super he actually starts mashing his own buttons as if it would have any bearing on the situation, hilarious stuff.

I can't find this, got a link?

Still gives me goosebumps.

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 23, 2011, 09:53:16 AM

Still gives me goosebumps.
This is not what you are looking for, but these are also SF3 videos with crowd reaction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4wAaQug4HQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0deim0FKD7g

thugler

I think they ruined SF games the moment they added all the super move/combo stuff. SF2 turbo was perfection.

samadriel

Turbo had both of those, although less flashy, I grant you.

Consignia

I may be wrong on this, but weren't Super moves introduced Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo?

Penfold

Wednesday 6pm - Left work.
6.20pm - Arrived home with new copy of Gran Turismo 5.
6.24pm - Met with 10 updates to download and install (which cannot be run as a background download)
Thursday 1.01am - Game starts.
1.03am - Advised of recommended install.
1.40am - Quit install as it seems to have frozen at 25%
6.20am - Wake up.
6.22am - Started Gran Turismo 5.
6.22am - Version 2.01 now available, patch downloading.
6.37am - Game Starts
6.39am - Retry install.
7.01am - Main Menu.

God I hate PS3 patches.

There may also be another optional install I could do later which advised me it could take 50 minutes.

Brent Cockman

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 23, 2011, 09:53:16 AM
I just checked and my memory was off. It wasn't alt-angle, but the original source footage of the players: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ9KxfgZ3gI&t=1m20s

Raoh killing himself with laughter behind the telly (guy sitting on the floor) is also one of the highlights of this, plus Mester just sitting there and nodding his head casually. Beasts.

Quote from: thugler on October 25, 2011, 01:14:38 PM
I think they ruined SF games the moment they added all the super move/combo stuff. SF2 turbo was perfection.
Why's that?

Junglist

Quote from: Brent Cockman on October 22, 2011, 07:52:52 PM
I agree, it's one of my favourite gaming moments ever, but I should clear up a couple of inaccuracies. Daigo didn't win the tournament but he did come second (it was KO that won), and there also wasn't a rivalry between he and Justin Wong until this moment I believe.

But yeah, great moment. There's alternate-angle footage of this moment floating around on YouTube where you can see Justin Wong's reactions in real-time, and when he sees Daigo parrying his super he actually starts mashing his own buttons as if it would have any bearing on the situation, hilarious stuff.

Cheers for clearing it up, sir.

Quote from: Brent Cockman on October 29, 2011, 07:16:13 PM
Raoh killing himself with laughter behind the telly (guy sitting on the floor) is also one of the highlights of this, plus Mester just sitting there and nodding his head casually. Beasts.

So, so good :D