Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:51:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Well, at the end of the day...

Started by a bald avuncular jew, June 10, 2004, 04:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a bald avuncular jew

Just heard on Radio 2 that this phrase has been deemed the most annoying cliche in the English language.  I'm not sure who deems these things, but more power to their elbows, at the end of the day someone has to do it.  

So...what cliches really annoy you?

Purple Tentacle

A Passing Turk Slipper

"In my opinion". How about everytime you aren't speaking your own opinion you say "not in my opinion" then it's a lot less bother. People saying "but thats just your opinion blah blah blah" in arguments. Once I criticised some band or something and a friend said "oh, well that's just your opinion and your entitled to it." Oh well thank you very much for telling me I am entitled to an opinion you fucking idiot, I also wasn't aware that what I said was one, never mind my own so cheers for enlightening me in that respect.

"There's never anything but football on the telly".

There was seven hours of Coronation Street on telly last week alone, not including repeats.  I read that in The Guardian.

burpmitosis

...It gets dark.

also

It aint what you got, it's what you do with it that counts.

Oh and - "I'm not being funny, but...."

5 Knuckle Shuffle

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper""In my opinion". How about everytime you aren't speaking your own opinion you say "not in my opinion" then it's a lot less bother. People saying "but thats just your opinion blah blah blah" in arguments. Once I criticised some band or something and a friend said "oh, well that's just your opinion and your entitled to it." Oh well thank you very much for telling me I am entitled to an opinion you fucking idiot, I also wasn't aware that what I said was one, never mind my own so cheers for enlightening me in that respect.

Yes, but that's just your opinion though......

Eastenders, everybody's talking about it

No, they're fucking not, although by mentioning it, technically, I am. :/
Oh, I heard the latest ad for one of those 118 companies today.
"It's the only number you'll need."
Well fucking pardon me, but every now and again I do like to ring friends and family (even if they don't want me to), so it isn't the only number I'll need thank you very much.

TJ

"you've missed a bit"

Ha fucking ha.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Maybe a seperate thread should be made for annoying TV or advertisement slogans, you get some really fucking irritating ones. Like EA games' (I think) new "Challenge Everything" one, which I find annoying.

a bald avuncular jew

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"There was seven hours of Coronation Street on telly last week alone, not including repeats.  I read that in The Guardian.

Well, they're lying, there was a triple-bill on Monday, an episode on Wednesday, I think a double-bill on Friday, and a single episode on Sunday.  So that's 3 and a half hours.  And it's usually only on for 2 and a half hours a week (minus repeats.)

5 Knuckle Shuffle

"Blah, Blah are one of the most underated bands ever!"
"Blah Blah rock!"
"My bad"
"You can come and do mine if you want when you've finished."

Fuck off I say.

a bald avuncular jew

Quote from: "TJ""you've missed a bit"

Oh yes, I translate this as, "I can't think of anything to say, so I'm going to open my gob and let the first bit of nonsense that comes to mind tumble out of it.  Better than silence, innit?"  

or "look at me, I have a sense of humour!"

apts is absolutely spot on with the opinion stuff.

5 Knuckle Shuffle

"Cheer up, it might never happen."
Well it already has or else I wouldn't be looking so miserable.Twat.

Pinball

"The fact of the matter is"

What's that all about???? Merely the blatant imposition of that person's view, usually some bullying politician prick who likes the sound of his own voice.

5 Knuckle Shuffle

Purple Tentacle

"Period".

Either by an annoying Brit trying to sound American by saying the equivalent of "Fact!" in a Brent-esque way, or my girlfriend trying to fight off my advances.

Both annoying.

hoverdonkey

Most of these haven't really been cliches and I'm just as guilty, cos I nominate:

"No offence but..."

dan dirty ape

Misuse of the word literally i.e 'I was literally shitting bricks'.

Lewis

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child""There's never anything but football on the telly"

Football commentators and their stupid phrases. In particular using plural e.g "The Beckham's and the Gerrards's of this world"

5 Knuckle Shuffle

Quote from: "hoverdonkey"Most of these haven't really been cliches and I'm just as guilty, cos I nominate:

"No offence but..."

Yes but they are.
End of story.

Sherringford Hovis

I have had a premonition that I will end my days burbling unsettlingly to myself in a canvas coat with strappy arms if I ever have to hear one more person do that "Yeah, but no" thing...

VWs coming to Bristol, choose your words carefully. It's not too late to have a crash course in elocution and deportment.

morgs

I personally hate it when people use the phrase "I personally" - who the fuck else is it going to be?

Bilko

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child""There's never anything but football on the telly"
Yes.  You can always rely on GMTV to get some woman complaining about the amount of football on T.V. as if she suffering from cancer. There's none on BBC2, C4, C5, and hundreds of channels on sky with no football on.  

The amount of football on once every major tournament is meagre compared to the thousands of hours of fucking soaps shuffled out in a two year period.  And the people who complain about it behave as if people who watch football don't have to pay for their tv licence fee.  

Quote from: "Lewis"Football commentators and their stupid phrases. In particular using plural e.g "The Beckham's and the Gerrards's of this world"
Hehehehe, that pisses me off as well.

With two other footballs thread on CaB it looks like fooball is at last acceptable on here.

One phrase I hate is 'Who dropped down dead and made you god'.
Well, the person who was god before me.

gazzyk1ns

You have to say "In my opinion...", and "I personally..." around here a lot of the time for fear of someone responding "ACTUALLY I think you'll find that what I do is the correct way and there's no debate because I know better than you.". It's a kind of disclaimer, it's saying "Others might be more 'well-read or experienced' in this field, but this has worked unfailingly for me...".

Being a gardener at the moment, I get that "Hahahahah are you going to come and do mine next? Hahahahah" All the time whilst trimming a hedge or anything similar. I'd like to say "Well clearly if you pay me then I might, as this is my job... otherwise no, why would I do that, you idiot?", but of course I just pretend it's brightened up my day like nothing else possibly could.

poison popcorn

mr bird & mr fortune said...

Quoteat the end of the day, and avoiding cliches like the plague...

morgs

Sol Campbell was interviewed on Radio 5 around 8pm tonight.  I think he managed 17 "y'know"s in 2 minutes which is fairly good going.

chand

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"
Yes.  You can always rely on GMTV to get some woman complaining about the amount of football on T.V. as if she suffering from cancer. There's none on BBC2, C4, C5, and hundreds of channels on sky with no football on.  

Yeah, the hour-and-a-half of Champions League football every two weeks for a while in about November is really overkill. Lord, help me escape the endless live football screaming out from my terrestrial TV set every night.

I think the people who complain about too much football are also the people who tell me there's loads of explicit sex on TV. Why the fuck can't I seem to find it? Channel 4 'documentaries' about strippers are not explicit, they're just dull.

Morrisfan82

Postboxes outside Post Offices.

Sick outside chip shops.

Middle-class girls getting pissed and snogging their female friends.