Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:06:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Well, at the end of the day...

Started by a bald avuncular jew, June 10, 2004, 04:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
My boss says the word "basically" about 115 times per day. Today I have brought in my stangling gloves and a spade.

Misuse of the word falls into two categories:

"basically I am going to take the train to Cambridge"
"basically he had fish and chips for dinner"

Oh so are you now going to give me the complicated version you fucking mong?

"basically I bi-wired the 128 pin DIN plug so that the crossover would feed into CIPD board, and when I started it, I found I could get 115% performance if I..."

arrrrrrrg.

In fact, I invented a bullshit bingo with all the fucking management wank that goes around this office. Top word:

"Incentivize"

indubitably the worst fucking word in the world.

Oh and things I used to get when I was a psychology student the whole fucking time:

"Oh so what am I thinking?"

hencole

Quote from: "morgs"I personally hate it when people use the phrase "I personally" - who the fuck else is it going to be?

You are talking about general opinions or arguments about a subjectand then to distinguish that from your own personal opinion you say the above.

Almost exactly.  Except when used in the phrase, "Yes, Almost, exactly."

5 Knuckle Shuffle

I've got a tiny little Willy.

Oh really? So it's not minutely humongous then?

dirkfunk

'can i borrow your digital skillet'

that one annoys me

and fucky bum boo-boo

Shade

Quote from: "Lewis"
Football commentators and their stupid phrases. In particular using plural e.g "The Beckham's and the Gerrards's of this world"

That one reminds me of a Shaun Micallef sketch, where he's interviewing a football player, the interview goes something like:

Player: We've got a great team, you've got your "Donaldsons" your "Andersons" your "Smiths"....

Interviewer: So all six of them? Or is it nine?

Player: *slightly confused* Just the one....

Interviewer: So just one "Donaldsons" then?

And then later on:

Player: Listen smart arse, we lost Anderson in the first half, Voony got injured before the game, we had no one left on the bench to bring on!

Interview:....Why not just send on one of your extra "Donaldsons" ?

It would have been funnier if I had just made an audio clip..

wheatgod

"according to a new poll/survey/study..."
which is always followed by something i dont care about
the use of "hey" instead of hello or hi

Dr David V

This thread reminds me of a bit from Family Guy...

"I can't believe how terrible the fishing was today!"
"Yeah, all we got was a boot, a tyre, a tin can and this book of cliches."

More:
"Whatever"
"Totally random"
"Like..."

Bogey

Quote from: "Dr David V""Totally random"

Oh christ yes.
I presume you mean in the sense of: "LOL!! Jam is so funny, it's like totally random!! WTF!!!11uno"

<gritted teeth>It is not fucking "random" you stupid retard, if it were, then any old fucker could do it, couldn't they?</gritted teeth>

Dr David V

Correct, as opposed to "When you press this button on the CD player, all the tracks become totally random".

thatmuch

'the chattering classes'

'the ... brigade'

People either cheering or saying "sack the juggler!" when one of the bar staff drop a glass.

largerthanlife

"And so on and so forth"
"Do you, ---- do you see what I mean?" (It's the pause that kills me)
"wash-up" to discuss how something went.

JesusAndYourBush

"With respect..."

Usually said by someone who then goes on to say something disrespectful.

"Don't worry about it"

Said to you by a complete twat when you weren't worrying about anything.  I wasn't worried, but now I'm annoyed.  At you.  Twat.

"Scoreline."

When a commentator is talking about the score.

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"Maybe a seperate thread should be made for annoying TV or advertisement slogans, you get some really fucking irritating ones.
"The world has grown up on Danone"

No, the world had never fucking heard of Danone until a few years ago.

morgs

Quote from: "hencole"
Quote from: "morgs"I personally hate it when people use the phrase "I personally" - who the fuck else is it going to be?

You are talking about general opinions or arguments about a subjectand then to distinguish that from your own personal opinion you say the above.

"I hate the French"

"Personally I hate the French"

"I personally hate the French"

The latter two cases are redundant.  It is an unnecessary word in this instance.

TraceyQ

"I'm not being funny, right...."

Goldentony

"im not racist but...."

usually followed with some sort of statement that adolf himself would be busting a nut over

Capt.Midnight

The statement "How cliche' " is fast becoming a cliche in itself.
We're all going to die.

Cerys

Quote from: "morgs""I hate the French"

"Personally I hate the French"

"I personally hate the French"

The latter two cases are redundant.  It is an unnecessary word in this instance.

Well ... um ... <censored> the first case is a generalism (-isation?), and the second two qualify it.  In "personally I hate the French", the speaker is saying that he, himself, hates the French.  In "I personally hate the French", the implication is that the speaker hates each and every French person.

(Use of 'actually' censored.)

gazzyk1ns

I think it comes from people jumbling their words up when imitating what others (correctly) say... for example, it would be "correct" to write:

"... Personally, I hate the French."

You have to use both "personally" and "I" there, otherwise it doesn't make sense. But then predictably, people try to imitate it and get the first two words the wrong way around, as it still sounds "acceptable" and logical on most levels... although as has been pointed out, the "personally" becomes unnecessary.

greencalx

Surely "at this moment in time" has to be up there with "at the end of the day"?  Why don't people just say "now" goddammit...

Less of a cliche, but the idiom 'wound up' confuses me, in its many senses that don't have any connotations of tension.  Two that I can think of are the Pete Tong sense "Winding up your weekend!" (Is he bringing it to a start or to a close?) and the bizarre "I wound up not knowing who was who".

And anyone, but anyone who uses the phrase "dumbing down" believing it actually means anything can be shot right now, the bastards.

morgs

At the end of the day, people in Britain seem to love to talk in cliches and they will carry on doing it til the cows come home.

Vermschneid Mehearties

"it's political correctness gone mad"

Which one of my friends used about a story involving 'positive discrimination'. I think most lefty comedians have already gone over that phrase, so I'll leave it in all its righteous Daily Mail-fantasy glory.

terminallyrelaxed

A Passing Turk Slipper

The worst cliches are the ones you find yourself using repeatedly. I go through phases of using certain words or phrases that I would rather not use. At the moment I say 'mental' a lot and I really wish I wouldn't but I can't help it. 'Oh, that's mental'. I can't stop myself and I feel like a right cock when I use the word more than once in a conversation. tr and Timmay have probably heard me use it loads on Xbox Live, you must tell me not to when you hear me using it more than once.

Cerys

I have a similar problem with 'go for it'.  Whenever any of my friends asks if they can play a PS game / nick something from the munchies box / close the curtains / put on a video / whatever ... that's when I find myself saying it.  It feels utterly natural to say it, but every now and then I pull myself up short and think, 'now why?  why do I use that phrase?'

dan dirty ape

I have a similar problem with saying 'no worries' when anyone asks me a favour.  It makes me sound like an idiot, but always slips out.

Shade

"So then he/she/they turned around and said....."

Where they talking to this persons back, before they "turned around, and said"?