Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:19:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Assassin's Creed: Revelations (and AC3 predictions)

Started by Noodle Lizard, November 01, 2011, 03:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Hiiiiiya.

So will AC: Revelations be worth picking up?  I loved AC:2, and grew to like Brotherhood (with its flaws), but I'm not sure if I should bother with Revelations since it will likely be more of the same.  I may just watch walkthroughs on YouTube to get the story, but I don't think the £40 price tag will be justified.

Big Jack McBastard

Heyey-you!

I like lol, dunno (I know right!) I'll prolly get a copee when it's out on peecee, but the consolz are gettin it 2 weeks early!

Like, oh-noes... pure trauma..

I do hope they're not lazy with it and move things forward, this..

QuoteIt has been announced that it is the last game to feature Ezio Auditore da Firenze and Altaïr Ibn La'Ahad, and the final game to be set in the Renaissance era.

Is a good sign, I wouldn't mind seeing the finish they've cooked up for it and I'd rather do it with my own meat than vicariously.

I've just thought, how many more games are they planning on? I'm guessing at least one more after this what with the 2012 bollocks, though I sort of doubt they'll leave it at a single game.

QuoteJean-Francois Boivin of Ubisoft stated that each numbered title in the series will introduce a new lead character and a new setting

So Assassins Creed 3 might be end of Desmond and then perhaps another trilogy? Or will they wear out their welcome and drag it on for as long as it makes money.

QuoteAsked about future of the series, Sébastien Puel from Ubisoft said that "[...] we could do 35 of these

Ah hum...

Noodle Lizard

I think the ending of Brotherhood was pretty lazy
Spoiler alert
with Desmond just killing Lucy for no apparent reason - seems to me like Kirsten Bell refused/asked too much to do the next one, so they had to kill off her character
[close]
.  Or maybe I'm being a bit cynical.

Big Jack McBastard

I like stabbing people in the neck during January, it's become a habit over the last few years.

If they takes away mai stabbin simulator what m'I gonna do?!

mycroft

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on November 01, 2011, 05:38:08 AM
I like stabbing people in the neck during January, it's become a habit over the last few years.

I'm the same, I associate Creed with happily wandering historical settings while sitting wrapped in a blanket, watching the blizzard rage out the window.

As for this game, I'll be sad to be leaving Ezio behind as he's been one of my favourite video game protagonists, a country mile ahead of personality-vacuums Al-tair and Desmond. I imagine we'll get a new assassin for the third game as well, nobody wants to be Desmond for the duration, surely? Personally I'd like to see a hot female assassin at large in revolutionary France.

WesterlyWinds

I doubt it will happen but I'd quite like to see an Assassin's Creed game set in feudal Japan with the Templars being Samurai and the Assassins being Ninjas. Not sure how they'd go about moving the story forwards whilst simultaneously  going backwards in time, but with all the stupid shit that seems to be going on in the storyline at the moment it's not a huge stretch of the imagination.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: WesterlyWinds on November 01, 2011, 11:04:55 AM
I doubt it will happen but I'd quite like to see an Assassin's Creed game set in feudal Japan with the Templars being Samurai and the Assassins being Ninjas.

That's quite a popular wish.  However, some people have pointed out that the buildings in feudal Japan wouldn't have been very big compared to the West, so would render the dominant free-running/climbing aspect a bit useless.  I haven't checked whether that's true, but it sounds reasonable enough.

Also, surely much of the stealth aspects would be nullified by a Western protagonist incongruously wandering about with a bunch of Japanese fellows ... unless the protagonist is Japanese, of course.  Who knows?

Other popular suggestions are Victorian London, "pirate days" and Egypt at some time or another.

mycroft

The American Revolution or Civil War could be good settings, too. I like the idea of taking on Napoleon, though: maybe having him as an assassin that's gone rogue instead of being a Templar. It'd be tough to take him out as a woman, as well - when his women were sent to him, they were stripped naked before going in to avoid any attempts on his life. Good luck hiding that hidden blade!

chand

Anyone playing this? I like it in general, but fuck me, the tower defence thing feels like a mis-step. I'm not very far in but the 'dens' concept seems like an unnecessary hassle; they're well-defended so it's difficult to find the the Templar captains without getting spotted, then once you take one it just becomes this pain in the arse you have to defend. Tower defence games have always bored the shit out of me, but these mini-games seem to take ages, and the bulk of it feels like a pointless preamble to the bit at the end of each fight where a heavily armoured battering ram tank thing comes in which can withstand a fuckton of damage. Then when you lose one it gives you the chance to cancel it out by chasing down the leader, which caught me off-guard the first time so I failed. Just seems like a bit of tinkering which didn't really need doing.

uglybob1986

I'm liking it so far, just not as much as Skyrim! Yeah, it's largely more of the same as the previous 2 games, but that's pretty much what I wanted. I found the hook blade to be a welcome addition, same as the bombs & their crafting. Killing the Templar captains and taking their towers is pretty much the same as the Borgia towers in Brotherhood, but I agree about the den defence being ill thought-out. It does get better after a few wins, giving access to better units, but it seems like an experimental idea by the developer to test before putting it in AC3. Hopefully they'll either rethink it or remove it to replace with something better.

mycroft

The bombs are a nice touch, but I'm yet to master how to aim and throw one at a hide full of guards without being shot to bits in the process. The hook-blade felt like it'd be really useful when it was introduced but, apart from the zip-wires and slightly extending Ezio's reach, it's not that much of an upgrade.

All that said, I'm just happy to spend more time hanging around the 16th century with my favourite Florantine mass-murderer. Out of the missions I've done so far, my favourite has probably been
Spoiler alert
infiltrating the Sultan's palace dressed as a minstrel (the lute-playing sort, not the blacked-up sort), singing little rhymes about the Borgias to distract the crowd while your mates take out assassins in the crowd - I especially liked the pay-off where you stab a man with your lute's neck-piece.
[close]

Little Hoover

I'm tempted to just watch all the cut-scenes since I care more about that than playing through the same gameplay again. I liked Brotherhood, but it just refined what AC2 did. I want to play a proper sequel.

chand

Quote from: Little Hoover on November 22, 2011, 08:31:40 PM
I'm tempted to just watch all the cut-scenes since I care more about that than playing through the same gameplay again.

I can't get on with AC cutscenes, I always find myself checking my emails or tweeting while they're going.

Neil

Picked up Brotherhood preowned for a fiver in the Xmas sales, and absolutely loved it.  I had stopped AC2 right at the final mission, so I went back and finished that, then straight into Brotherhood, which changed and evolved the game in brilliant ways.  I got Revelations for Xmas, and have just started on it over the last few days.  It's not really clicking, yet - doesn't seem like as much care or inspiration has gone into it.  I also hate that Eagle Vision doesn't seem to work if I press the right anologue stick down while moving, I have to stop to activate it.  Changing the control system so "y" is now a weapon is odd, too, but these are minor niggles which I'll get used to quickly, and I just hope the story and gameplay is as compelling.

I've been dipping into the multiplayer - if ever there was a franchise where it seemed redundant, it's this one.  However, I'm shocked to find that it's original and intriguing.  Baffling, too, with a lot of nuance to be learnt, but I'm really enjoying getting to grips with it.  It's such a refreshing change of pace (literally) to have a multiplayer game where running around like a mad tit is massively counterproductive.  You have to go slowly - stand around, even - and play mind games with other players, while going through the paranoia of not knowing who is or isn't after you, or who your target is.  Will definitely be sticking for it a while longer.

Neil

Well the single player campaign was a huge dissapointment after Brotherhood, but the multiplayer is still a huge treat. Manhunt is incredible fun, and yet not one single person on my friends list bothers with the MP.

Big Jack McBastard

Hmm, tis true I've never had a look at the MP but should, might jump on the bandwagon if I see you on there in the near.

Neil

Aye, shout if I'm on.  It's unlike any other multiplayer I've experienced.  Fun and tense.

Neil

Steal The Artifact is brilliant as well, was just playing that. Nice and fast-paced. Got to the stage where I can craft my abilities now, too. Deep game, this, tons of things to think about when you come up with load-outs.

madhair60

I got AC1 in a Ubi bundle a while back (along with Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Far Cry 2 and... er... something else... oh yeah, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood), and I thought it was staggeringly poor.  The unfortunate effect of this is that I have not touched any of the subsequent games, even though by all accounts they fix every problem and are infinitely superior.

Neil

I enjoyed the first one, even given the obvious problems with the lack of variety, but it's worth playing anyway, just for AC 2, and the mighty Brotherhood, which must be one of the most lovingly made games I've ever played.

Big Jack McBastard

It's going well so far, plenty of action and things to do, my arsehole still tightens up so much it could cut steel whenever I take a misguided dive off a building too. :o)

I'm still mired in the SP and want to get another chunk of that out of the way before I delve into the MP really. I'm not as taken with it as I was with AC2 (which I loved above all others) but there has been some good progress with equipment, all the bomb malarky is quite fun and I do like the hook-blade idea, but where are the arse breaking puzzles? Where's the intriguing sense that you're in the process of uncovering something very important that's been squirreled away and hidden from your view? All those disparate conspiracy theories past and present woven together into a pretty tapestry under the surface of Ezio's world is what I loved about AC2, the whole thing just strung me along and I found it hard to leave alone once a couple of it's secrets came out.

It's a bit of a weird thing but I feel like I have to re-learn the controls every time I put this in the drive, stuff like disarming people just seems to fall out of my head if I take even the smallest break, perhaps that's more my brain than the game though.

Also, I'm a bit concerned that this is all going to be set in one city, bar the wonky bits on the Animus Island and in Desmond's nugget, looking at the achievements it's seeming like this might be the case. I hope the additional bits and pieces can fill the gap, but it feels a lot smaller than previous installments to me, but then I'm not sure how far into it I am so I could be fretting over nothing.

mycroft

Jerzy Bondov

I was very keen on
Spoiler alert
the French Revolution
[close]
. Can't see why they didn't do that one. However,
Spoiler alert
tomahawking the shit out of people
[close]
should be fun. I hope the assassins don't take sides.
Spoiler alert
I'm not doing a mission where you press Y to hurl tea into the sea, it's wasteful.
[close]

mycroft

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 01, 2012, 06:47:49 PM
I was very keen on
Spoiler alert
the French Revolution
[close]

Likewise, although there's plenty of
Spoiler alert
Americans on Facebook happy that we're finally leaving Europe
[close]
, the twats.

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: mycroft on March 01, 2012, 06:43:43 PM
Box art's been released for Creed III -
Spoiler alert
American War of Independence
[close]
it is, then.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/422433_10150594293533068_6119163067_9102678_2093581204_n.jpg

A red coat so looks like an Englishman getting it in the neck.

Waking Life

Spoiler alert
I can't see them being brave enough to paint the founding fathers as Templars, which is a shame.  A George Washington conspiracy would have been quite fun.  I think the American Civil War would have been quite fun too.

I'm surprised they actually went forward in time, with the guns and all.  I thought they were ok when they were used sparingly in renaissance times; hope there's still a lot of close combat.  Still, it might be a good idea for them to change the dynamic a bit, which is probably why they never went with feudal Japan.
[close]

Thursday

Well there's some concrete information now, so this might deserve it's own thread, but I'll drop it here for now.

Quote from: http://gamingbolt.com/assassins-creed-3-info-blowout-new-engine-protagonist-information-new-camera-animus-3-0
We have a ton of details on Assassin's Creed III for you courtesy of Game Informer, and it looks like this is shaping up to be the best Assassin's Creed yet.

The goal of the development team was to stay true to the franchise, and try something new with the game as well. That's obvious, since this is a mainline Assassin's Creed game.

- There will be brand new environments and all-new ways to exploit them to your advantage, according to the creative director Alex Hutchinson.

- The cinematic presentations will extend beyond combat into a complex way of storytelling. The game will have actually have the Mohawk language (Iroquois) in some scenes. Mohawk was one of the languages of the native Americans.

- The development cycle was the longest compared to any Assassin's Creed game. It seems the game was developed simultaneously with the other spin-offs (Brotherhood and Revelations). According to Ubisoft's CEO, AC3 has been in development for three years.

- The game tells a story of Templars vs Americans. It's not about winning the war, but a story based on the main protagonist's life.

- The game will feature a new camera, which focuses on the best possible view of the action.

- The game runs on a brand new version of the Anvil engine.

- The new Assassin is the son of a Native American woman and a British soldier. He calls himself Connor, but his birth name is Ratohnhaké:ton. Born into the Mohawk, he eventually crosses paths with the Assassins in his search for righteousness.

- Connor is quiet and stoic, letting actions speak for himself rather than conversing with others. In contrast to Ezio, Connor is a freedom fighter who acts in the name of justice rather than on personal revenge.

- Settings will include Boston, New York and a large countryside. The countryside will be the setting of about 1/3 of the game, and will be the location of many events during the game. The countryside will be about 1.5 times as big as Rome in Brotherhood.

- The protagonist will fight on the American side, with primary allies being George Washington, Benjamin Franklin and Charles Lee. However, this does not mean that the Americans are the good guys and the British are the bad guys. Templars are everywhere.

- There will be seasons in the game, meaning that the sun will shine during summer and the landscape will be covered in snow during winter. This is the best new feature in Assassin's Creed 3 as far as I'm concerned.

- You can chain kills in the game using the tomahawk and the knife.

- Fighting and stealth will be completely re-innovated, with Connor being compared to a "predator". The player will be able to climb trees and other natural elements, and dual-wielding weapons such as a dagger and a mohawk is now also an option.

- Animals will be present in the woods, like deer and bears. The player will be able to kill them and pelt their skins, to sell them later with the reformed economic system of the game.

- There will be puzzles similar to The Truth, only they will not be given by Subject 16.

- Desmond will go into the new Animus 3.0 and will find himself going into "significant events".

- 100% sync in memories returns, though this time you will be rewarded when you complete memories to 100%. Checkpoints will also be introduced to mission replay, meaning you don't have to replay an entire mission to get that 100% sync.

- The Brotherhood, or the Assassin's Guild, will return in some form, albeit differently than we have seen before.

- Human shields are in, along with context sensitive actions. The target locking is gone, so the combat dynamics have changed.

- There is a fast travel system. The game is quite larger than Brotherhood; approximately 1.5 times bigger.

- There will be no more Mercenaries, Thieves, Courtesans, Romani or other factions, but there will be a replacement for them.

- Den Defense will not return.

- Expect Uncharted level of character interactions with 2.5 hours of scenes recorded.

We don't have much details about the multiplayer yet, but they will be officially revealed soon by Ubisoft. Please buy this month's Game Informer magazine, as there are plenty more details, and they deserve some love as well.

There's some images on the site that it won't embed here.

mycroft

So, elements of Red Dead Assassin, then? Like the sound of that. Also glad to see Den Defence is out.

Dark Sky

I played about half of the first game...  Some brilliant stuff in there, but the gameplay was incredibly repetitive and boring.  Also the whole "you play a man in the future who goes into the past" thing annoyed me.  Just set it in the frickin' past already, stop trying to justify fictional reasons for invisible walls, the save/load system, and why the main character has an American accent.

Since then I've not been interested at all really in the other games, but the fact that they've taken such a radical change in setting and style really excites me!  It's like Blackadder or summat innit.