Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:52:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Assassin's Creed: Revelations (and AC3 predictions)

Started by Noodle Lizard, November 01, 2011, 03:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeyg27

Quote from: Dark Sky on March 03, 2012, 09:02:56 AM
I played about half of the first game...  Some brilliant stuff in there, but the gameplay was incredibly repetitive and boring.  Also the whole "you play a man in the future who goes into the past" thing annoyed me.  Just set it in the frickin' past already, stop trying to justify fictional reasons for invisible walls, the save/load system, and why the main character has an American accent.

Heh. I'm playing through the first one right now and I'd definitely agree about the repetitive thing, though for some reason I'm finding it incredibly hypnotic. I actually found the future bunkum to be a fairly clever framing device as these things go. I wasn't impressed that it took six assassinations before it told me how to restock on throwing knives, mind...

Dark Sky

I can't deny it's not clever but...I don't think it adds anything.  I think most people are used to suspending their disbelief to a certain extent when playing a game.  I just felt it diminished the immersion when you're playing a man playing another man. 

Plus it has the most hideously long system to exit the game ever (at least, on the PC).  I mean, it is absolutely taking the piss.  Look at it.  It's ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwOvuY0UbFM

Thursday

They're building towards something with future world framing device, it does test your patience at first, but I think over time it starts to add more layers to the story.

mikeyg27

Quote from: Dark Sky on March 03, 2012, 11:26:16 AM
I can't deny it's not clever but...I don't think it adds anything.  I think most people are used to suspending their disbelief to a certain extent when playing a game.  I just felt it diminished the immersion when you're playing a man playing another man. 

Plus it has the most hideously long system to exit the game ever (at least, on the PC).  I mean, it is absolutely taking the piss.  Look at it.  It's ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwOvuY0UbFM

Fair enough. I think as Thursday says its more about appreciating what it does further down the line. I'd also say there are other more pressing issues about immersion breaking (like seemingly only having one voice actress). It'd be better if they threw more glitches into the system to fuck with you (a la Eternal Darkness).

Gotta say, that video makes me glad I'm playing it on the Xbox, where 'Turn Console Off' suffices.