Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:56:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

XBox Update

Started by Neomod, November 01, 2011, 03:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomod

Checking out the official xbox forums it looks like we are finally getting Iplayer which if true is excellent news.

Apparently[nb]pinch of salt[/nb] the new Features in the dashboard are:

Bing
YouTube
Channel 4
Channel 5
Love film
On-line storage Called Cloud

the update will happen On the 15Th November or the 25Th November.

Noodle Lizard

Sweet.  I move ever closer to not needing actual television.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

papalaz4444244

.mkv media support would be nice too

Famous Mortimer

Will this be available even for people who don't have Gold accounts, do you reckon? My flatmate says that was the main stumbling block to getting these things in the past.

Consignia

Yeah, I've heard that certain services, such as the BBC iPlayer, are going to be available without Gold. Frankly, my Xbox is the only thing sitting under my TV (including the TV itself) that can't show iPlayer yet.

buntyman

These sound like good new features. Unfortunately my internet connection is too slow to stream most things but if LoveFilm provided a download option for rentals then I think I'd sign up to them.

glitch

Quote from: Consignia on November 01, 2011, 07:46:26 PM
Yeah, I've heard that certain services, such as the BBC iPlayer, are going to be available without Gold. Frankly, my Xbox is the only thing sitting under my TV (including the TV itself) that can't show iPlayer yet.

I would be very surprised if they release this to non-Gold users. Last.fm wanted their service to be free to all users but MS blocked that, saying it could only go to Gold users.

Neomod

Microsoft TV press release including shots of the new dashboard

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2011/oct11/10-05XBTVPR.mspx

Looks like BBC/Channel 4 and 5 will not require Gold.

Noodle Lizard

Looks nice.  I was getting a bit sick of the old themes.

MojoJojo

Quote from: glitch on November 02, 2011, 10:21:46 AM
I would be very surprised if they release this to non-Gold users. Last.fm wanted their service to be free to all users but MS blocked that, saying it could only go to Gold users.

I believe the BBC couldn't support the service if it was a Gold member only thing, due to the terms of their Charter. This was why it didn't happen before.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: MojoJojo on November 02, 2011, 11:05:25 AM
I believe the BBC couldn't support the service if it was a Gold member only thing, due to the terms of their Charter. This was why it didn't happen before.
That was what I was trying to get at with my previous post.

glitch

Ah ok, my bad, cheers for the update :)

Noodle Lizard

Anyone know when this is coming?  I can't find anything on da interwebz.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

In time for Christmas, I would guess. I've been seeing adverts for it on youtube.

We signed up for the beta version, although so far it's been a bit underwhelming. None of the fun stuff, like 4OD, is on there yet and the new dashboard menus seem a bit more fiddly than before.

Neomod

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 19, 2011, 04:48:02 AM
Anyone know when this is coming?  I can't find anything on da interwebz.

The 25th Nov has been mentioned.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Neomod on November 19, 2011, 10:16:17 AM
The 25th Nov has been mentioned.

You'd think they'd give a specific date.  I wonder why not?

glitch

Probably trying to iron out some of the bugs.

mikeyg27

Kotaku has it down as arriving on December 6th.

glitch

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 19, 2011, 05:07:04 AM
In time for Christmas, I would guess. I've been seeing adverts for it on youtube.

We signed up for the beta version, although so far it's been a bit underwhelming. None of the fun stuff, like 4OD, is on there yet and the new dashboard menus seem a bit more fiddly than before.

You're not supposed to post about it, shhhh.

I accept the terms of the

I got an email from Microsoft telling me that the updates are available, but nothing is here.

I know it has been delayed a bit, but getting an e-mail about it telling me it's ready makes me think it's ready. You shits.

Paaaaul

Big update happened on my Xbox this morning.
That is all.

Famous Mortimer

It seems pretty decent, I like the look of it and they've incorporated the Facebook and twitter apps in a way they weren't before. Also, nice to have Last.FM on there, if I remember to subscribe again it'll be a cool thing to have on the telly. Much more like the Windows phone layout, for anyone who's not got it yet.

MojoJojo

I like it, haven't really looked at any new features yet, but it seems to makes sense, unlike the old thing where I just knew where stuff was because I remembered it.

buntyman

I keep selecting the wrong thing on the dashboard by thinking i'm at a different menu level than i am. I'm sure i'll get used to it though and it looks quite nice.

On the subject of Xboxes, My gran I shared a delicious Crown CrustTM Pizza HutTM pizza topped with the HaloTM Combat Evolved Anniversary Edition Limited Edition topping (chicken and pepperoni). In doing so, I was issued with a code for 2 free days of Xbox Live Gold. As I already have an Xbox Live Gold subscription, the 2 free days code is up for grabs. Who would like the code for 2 days of Xbox Live Gold that I got with my delicious Crown CrustTM Pizza HutTM pizza topped with the HaloTM Combat Evolved Anniversary Edition Limited Edition topping (chicken and pepperoni) that I shared with my gran?

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: buntyman on December 07, 2011, 08:40:14 PM
delicious Crown CrustTM Pizza HutTM pizza topped with the HaloTM Combat Evolved Anniversary Edition Limited Edition topping (chicken and pepperoni).

I trust you both felt like enegmatic space marines tasked with saving the galaxy by the time you'd finished?

buntyman

Nah, in fact I was bored stiff as it led my gran to trot out her old war stories again as she recalled her experiences during the original Xbox Halo.

Harpo Speaks

I only have a Gold account at the moment because I'm on the free trial, but having Lovefilm on there is a big draw as I'd much prefer to watch their 'Watch Online' content on a TV rather than the laptop.

DocDaneeka

Looks like a big bag of shite and it has no Iplayer.