Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:03:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

XBox Update

Started by Neomod, November 01, 2011, 03:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheatgod

Zero Gravitas

I hate rectangles.

Hmm I wonder what happened to the youtube video app, strange considering they'e got it plastered all over the place and it's owned by a competitor.

pk1yen

Gamesaves to the Cloud is a nifty idea. Saves people ever forking out for a memory stick at least (for the maybe one time I will ever use it). Guess it's good if you get your Xbox nicked or something ...

All the interesting apps seem to be "coming this winter" or something. I want iPlayer.

Penfold

iOS app also out, looks nice, I watched some Inside Xbox videos through it. That's all.

papalaz4444244

don't like it at all.

Why squash everything into the middle? To see the wallpaper? Ridiculous on a large telly.

Navigation is illogical. Everything set up to make you buy a Kinect or pay for new "apps"

Fuck off Microsoft.

Surprised by the positive comments above. My twitter feed is all people saying how shitey it is.

Famous Mortimer

I think literally any change at all would have had people on twitter saying how shite it was, papalaz.

As far as the rest of your criticism goes, I like the way it's laid out, and it seems to make sense to me. I haven't noticed anything about making you buy a Kinect, but maybe my brain doesn't notice stuff it's not interested in the same way. I prefer it to the old layout.

I don't remember the XBox having a Youtube app before, but if it's owned by a competitor I can understand them not giving it a front-and-centre promotion. And I've got about 5 other devices in the house that can watch Youtube videos.

Beagle 2

I bloody haven't, no YouTube? That's shit. That's the main thing I was looking forward to.

mook

i could've sworn that the youtube link was on the dashboard (or whatever it's called) yesterday morning after my xbox updated, it's gorn now though. however, there is a very nice sky tv box there, which is about 10x the size of the box of the bloody game i want to play. i can almost forgive murdoch and his crew for hacking millie dowler's voicemail, but getting in the way of skyrim is going way too far.

papalaz4444244

I see "video" and "games" but where the fuck has "pictures" gone?

HappyTree

I have no problem with the graphic layout, but the content is all wrong for the user. Well, for a user like me anyway. Great for the shitty advertisers and extra crap they want to make you use, though. Advert on every page!

bing - why? Hard to type in a search term with a games controller. Hardly worth the bother.

home - the main rectangle in the centre has a distracting slideshow of crap I have no use for. The Quickplay box has games I haven't played for ages as default for some reason.

social - no use for this

tv - no use for this

video - no use for this

games - Ah finally we get to games on a games console, the only reason I bought the blahddy thing. Why do I have to scroll 4 times to the right to get to the main feature tab? Can't I even re-order things my own way? No, that would be too much like giving me, the user, control. Can't have that. Plus there is no "recent games" category (which was something I used all the time) and all the demos and XBLA are mixed in together. It's like they've deliberately made it hard to find what you want quickly so you have to look at things they want to sell you. I already bought the console, they already have quite a lot of my money.

music - no use for this

apps - no use for this and it seems to repeat functions in previous tabs. The apps are for tv, music and video. I just scrolled past all that!

settings - nothing to complain about here, thankfully.

The only good thing is it looks graphically swish and I get to see my background pic which I like looking at. Not sure I like the grey fadeout colour. Why can't I change it?

At least the Quickplay and Activity menus in the Xbox Guide system give me the recent games. Guess I'll be using that instead of their fancy boxes.

Lee Van Cleef

papalaz4444244

Can anyone confirm,are you no longer able to view jpgs on a USB device? I can't find it anywhere.

HappyTree

I can confirm that you can view pictures and videos and music from USB. But not if you use the new fancy interface, OH NO! That would be too easy.

Press the Xbox Guide button, go right to the Media tab and you'll have Video Player, Music Player and Picture Viewer. Select Portable Device and voilà.

The new interface is shit and is nothing but adverts. Bah!

buntyman

Anyone know how to access the old Spotlight weekly xbox arcade deals?
The cloud thing's shit by the way, i uploaded a save game to it, played the game and it said 'this game is not compatible with cloud storage'.
I can't believe how little  the icon is for the game you have in the machine compared to everything else, I wish there were custom themes so you could have a really basic 4 category menu of things you actually use

papalaz4444244

Quote from: HappyTree on December 09, 2011, 11:23:47 PM
I can confirm that you can view pictures and videos and music from USB. But not if you use the new fancy interface, OH NO! That would be too easy.

Press the Xbox Guide button, go right to the Media tab and you'll have Video Player, Music Player and Picture Viewer. Select Portable Device and voilà.

The new interface is shit and is nothing but adverts. Bah!

THANKS! Christ, no wonder I couldn't find it.

HappyTree

I don't play games online and only have silver XBL membership. I was permanently logged in just for convenience for game updates and demos. It made no difference and sometimes I saw my friend logged into MSN in the corner, which made me feel reassured.

I tried blocking the ad server like some sites are telling us how to do. I chose the easy option, router blocking. I may ask my ISP about this tomorrow, but tonight I tried adding rad.msn.com to the parental block on the router. Didn't work.

So now I will play with the network cable physically unplugged. Yay Microsoft!

Noodle Lizard

DocDaneeka

Quote from: HappyTree on December 10, 2011, 01:18:32 AM
I don't play games online and only have silver XBL membership. I was permanently logged in just for convenience for game updates and demos. It made no difference and sometimes I saw my friend logged into MSN in the corner, which made me feel reassured.

I tried blocking the ad server like some sites are telling us how to do. I chose the easy option, router blocking. I may ask my ISP about this tomorrow, but tonight I tried adding rad.msn.com to the parental block on the router. Didn't work.

So now I will play with the network cable physically unplugged. Yay Microsoft!
I think you can still set it up to just go straight in to the game when you turn it on.

Paaaaul

I've got an old SD telly, and the update is mega-shit for me. Much of the text is unreadable.

Neil

It's complete and utter wank.  Far too cramped for big tellys too, as has been said. Hated having to reinstall the Sky Player and Last.fm software, but managed to remember my passwords.  Still have to sign out of my profile, then sign in again, just so I can get to my messages. 

HappyTree

Quote from: DocDaneeka on December 10, 2011, 12:57:06 PM
I think you can still set it up to just go straight in to the game when you turn it on.

Yeah, I would do that if I wanted to go straight to the game in the disk drive every time. But there are other games I've dl'd that I might want to play. Anyway, unplugging the ethernet cable seems to make the interface less annoying. Goodbye impulse buys over XBLA, probably for the best all round.

Zero Gravitas

I'm now able to download a youtube app...but it requires a gold membership.

Neil

When you go to whatever the blades are now, are you seriously meant to wait for them to advance, when you want to see what new demos and stuff are out?  I couldn't find another way of MOVING IT THE FUCK ON.

jutl

Quote from: Neil on December 17, 2011, 12:12:29 AM
When you go to whatever the blades are now, are you seriously meant to wait for them to advance, when you want to see what new demos and stuff are out?  I couldn't find another way of MOVING IT THE FUCK ON.

Go to Games>Games Marketplace then you can choose (picks|featured|games|add-ons|extras|demos). Each one of those has a 'New Releases' section, and the games one has a 'Game Type' section which lets you filter for Arcade/Full Game etc.

Neil

Thanks jutl. Not tried it yet as I just loaded Battlefield, but that sounds more long-winded.  Not by much, I suppose.  Is that where those two haircut tits come up now too?

glitch

Quote from: Neil on December 17, 2011, 12:12:29 AM

Nudge the right stick? That's how you scroll through the featured centre block

Custard

4oD, Channel 5, and DailyMotion are all up now too. Hurrah!

They're certainly keeping us waiting for Iplayer though, eh?

Paaaaul

Quote from: Shameless on December 22, 2011, 09:22:52 PM
4oD, Channel 5, and DailyMotion are all up now too. Hurrah!

They're certainly keeping us waiting for Iplayer though, eh?

It's disappeared from the "Coming Soon" tab.

Custard

Oooh, maybe we'll be getting it soon then!

Christmas day?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Shameless on December 22, 2011, 10:36:58 PM
Oooh, maybe we'll be getting it soon then!

Christmas day?

I'm pretty sure it was officially stated that iPlayer would be coming at the beginning of 2012.