Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:58:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bond 23

Started by CaledonianGonzo, November 02, 2011, 10:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Roofdog

Maybe it should be a different distinguished British actor every time he walks into the office, like The Prisoner.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Ignatius_S on November 07, 2011, 01:06:09 PM
In the model civil service, both are far too old – however, I think there's charm in the head of the secret service being in post for years because they want to serve their country. As you say, Dench has been doing the role for years, so that fits well.

Personally, I think Finney would do a great job, but would be amazed if they replaced Dench with an actor who was roughly the same age.

There'd be absolutely no sense at all in the casting. Besides the ridiculousness of his being 20-30 years too old in the first place, why cast a new M who – God forbid, of course – would be unlikely to last more than one or two films without retiring or falling off the twig? It's both impractical and illogical.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Jemble Fred on November 07, 2011, 01:18:17 PM
There'd be absolutely no sense at all in the casting. Besides the ridiculousness of his being 20-30 years too old in the first place, why cast a new M who – God forbid, of course – would be unlikely to last more than one or two films without retiring or falling off the twig? It's both impractical and illogical.

Well, quite as I say, I can't see them replacing Dench with someone around the same age. As for the logic of the casting though, I don't think that's something that they would be too worried - the films are escapism.

Neomod

Hmmm, so there are rumours that Naomi Harris will play Moneypenny and that the agent Eve thing is a red herring. Could be Mendes wanting to revive some of the classic Bond characters Q, Moneypenny etc?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Neomod on November 07, 2011, 02:44:10 PM
Hmmm, so there are rumours that Naomi Harris will play Moneypenny and that the agent Eve thing is a red herring. Could be Mendes wanting to revive some of the classic Bond characters Q, Moneypenny etc?

Well, Harris was mentioned in relation to the Moneypenny role when she was first linked to the next film, for a few months ago. For what it's worth, around that time, there were some reports that she had been signed up.

Who's to say that Moneypenny will like the previous incarnations and won't be stuck in the office?

VegaLA

Quote from: mycroft on November 07, 2011, 01:09:15 PM
I was thinking John Hurt.

I'm going to start a campaign for Tom Baker.

Actually i'm a bit busy, can you do that for me?

mycroft

Alright, but due to an administration error I'm going to campaign for Colin Baker.

biggytitbo

New Bond villain, pictured relaxing in volcano lair:

mycroft

"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to become painfully erect."

Mister Six

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on November 04, 2011, 04:43:10 PMI'd agree that Olga's not really essential to the plot, but again you're on shaky ground if you want to argue the case that the Bond girl really is any of the previous movies

That's not what I'm arguing, though - I'm saying that the reason she's so prominent in QoS is because they don't have enough A-plot to fill out the film. She's a crutch to give the thing any kind of weight at all.

This wasn't a problem in the Moore era, because those flicks were campy enough to get away with it. But in the po-faced world of Daniel Craig (which I actually like - nice to get away from the more ridiculous elements of the franchise, if only for a while) that doesn't fly.

Neomod

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 07, 2011, 08:01:33 PM
New Bond villain, pictured relaxing in volcano lair:

He looks like a moustachioed Mr Wint

Jerzy Bondov

Looking forward to Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd's gritty reboot.

Saucer51

Christopher Walken: Shady, we just adored your act! What taste and style...

mycroft

Would we have to have Ricky Gervais play Shady[nb]Rather than, of course, Dean Martin's uncle[/nb]?

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on November 07, 2011, 11:33:43 AM
This makes it very easy to wind you up, which is why people do it, myself included.

Practically admitting being a bullying cunt, there. I appreciate you have trouble grasping anything that isn't anorak related, but I wasn't talking about 12 year olds literally in my earlier post, I neither know nor care what they're interested in. "Twelve year olds" is a regular term of abuse, aimed at the young and fashionable who run the media, used by the title character in the splendid Radio 4 series Ed Reardon's Week, I identify entirely with the grumpy curmudgeonly scribbler, but I take it you only listen to R4 for things involving Mark Gatiss.

And, while your chum Famous Rootin' Tootin' Mortimer is just the sort who would sneer at me for "mentioning the good old days", as he believes himself superior for being into American rubbish that no-one's heard of over here, your taking up his tag is deeply hypocritical. You do realise, that which you obsess over, take seriously and will brook no criticism of counts as part of "the good old days", due to its having begun in 1963 and, for a merciful period, having effectively finished in 1989?

If Neil, or someone on here whom I respect (and they do exist and are on here) wanted me to change my ways, I would. But from a sci-fi nerd like you, forget it.

P.S. James Bond films are only worth sleeping through on Boxing Day afternoons, incidentally, but it's one of those genres it's necessary to know about, despite personal taste.

The Roofdog

Can't you just start an ongoing thread in General Bullshit for this crap and fuck off out of threads that have nothing to do with your neuroses? You've as good as admitted this is your obsession, not anybody elses, so really this is just wilful trolling.

kidsick5000

WIth Helen McRory being cast and mention of the story hanging on M more
my theory is that McRory
Spoiler alert
could be younger M in flashbacks.
[close]

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Jake Thingray on November 09, 2011, 03:04:33 PM
Practically admitting being a bullying cunt, there.

I would term it teasing myself, although it is of course a huge grey area. The problem is that it is quite fun to annoy someone until they throw a tantrum. It's also fairly indefensible, I'll admit, but if you didn't overreact to others' remarks so much it wouldn't be an issue. I was told when I was little that the best way to stop others from bullying you is not to show them that it bothers you.

QuoteI appreciate you have trouble grasping anything that isn't anorak related,

A cheap shot, born of ignorance about me. I'll come back to this. And I wear a barbour.

Quotebut I wasn't talking about 12 year olds literally in my earlier post, I neither know nor care what they're interested in. "Twelve year olds" is a regular term of abuse, aimed at the young and fashionable who run the media, used by the title character in the splendid Radio 4 series Ed Reardon's Week. I identify entirely with the grumpy curmudgeonly scribbler,

So when you said "12-year-olds", you actually meant adults. And you then found it necessary to give me a negative karma point because I don't listen to a particular radio programme.

Far from being a "regular term of abuse", I've never heard it used before. As I say, I haven't listened to the programme, but are you sure Ed is meant to be someone to identify with?

Quotebut I take it you only listen to R4 for things involving Mark Gatiss.

More assumptions about me that are incorrect. In fact, the last two R4 programmes I listened to were one about Spike Milligan's serious poetry and a Friday Play based on the book House of Leaves. I tend not to listen to R4 much anyway, short of interesting plays or comedy shows.

QuoteAnd, while your chum

Whom I have never communicated with in any way other than exchanging karma points.

QuoteFamous Rootin' Tootin' Mortimer is just the sort who would sneer at me for "mentioning the good old days", as he believes himself superior for being into American rubbish that no-one's heard of over here

Could you provide some links of unpleasant comments he has made? Looking at a few of his posts, it just seems that he has a very different set of interests to you. Perhaps you might be projecting onto him the same attitude you have, that all other interests are wrong and those who state that those who prefer them over yours are sneering at you?

Quoteyour taking up his tag is deeply hypocritical. You do realise, that which you obsess over, take seriously and will brook no criticism of counts as part of "the good old days", due to its having begun in 1963 and, for a merciful period, having effectively finished in 1989?

Again, cheap shots aside, the point is that the tag was meant to be a bit of quick humour. You seem to have a habit of steering the majority of discussions towards the topic of the acting profession and its elder statesmen, and you joined this thread solely to make a comment about Albert Finney, perpetuating this image. Having an enthusiasm for anything more than 20 years old is something rather different.

You are also projecting onto me a highly stereotypical image of a Doctor Who fan - one who is obsessive and humourless. Once again, this shows that you know very little about me, and will make statements about me that fit to your own prejudices. Fair enough, I really love Doctor Who. I'm one of the few fans I know that reads the new novels and knows the story codes by heart. But I enjoy my hobby. I am happy for it to be criticised, if the critic can back up his/her argument. I myself wrote a very negative review of a couple of recent episodes for a friend's fanzine. I am happy to laugh at it, and enjoy its faults. Other fans I have met do not do this, or seem incapable of doing so. In my experience, which you must concede will by definition be greater than yours, they are a very small minority.

QuoteIf Neil, or someone on here whom I respect (and they do exist and are on here) wanted me to change my ways, I would. But from a sci-fi nerd like you, forget it.

I find it hard to imagine that you would, since you generally react to any criticism of your behaviour by verbally lashing out and accusing others of sneering at you. Since you so enthusiastically give people derogotary labels, as well as make potentially racist and homophobic remarks, this is fairly inevitable.

QuoteP.S. James Bond films are only worth sleeping through on Boxing Day afternoons, incidentally, but it's one of those genres it's necessary to know about, despite personal taste.

Exactly. Personal taste. If you don't like the Bond films, then fair enough. No-one's forcing you to. But denying the rights of others to their own opinions, and - yes - sneering at them, really is the behaviour of a hypocrite.

Bad Ambassador

I'm starting a "fun" project next week, to watch all 26 Bond productions (including the unofficial ones) over the course of a year, climaxing with Skyfall, and blogging about it as I go.

Yes, I know. Highly original.

http://horsehair-nebula.blogspot.com/2011/11/teaser.html

kidsick5000

I've yet to watch From Russia With Love all the way through. I suspect i ve seen all of it, just not in one sitting

biggytitbo

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on November 09, 2011, 05:28:34 PM
I'm starting a "fun" project next week, to watch all 26 Bond productions (including the unofficial ones) over the course of a year, climaxing with Skyfall, and blogging about it as I go.

Yes, I know. Highly original.

http://horsehair-nebula.blogspot.com/2011/11/teaser.html
Be careful with the sunny delight!

Saucer51

Quote from: mycroft on November 08, 2011, 08:53:13 PM
Would we have to have Ricky Gervais play Shady

Icing on the cake.

Javier Bardem: We need Tree. Alive.
Samuel L Jackson: That's most annoying.

kitsofan34

Just in case we aren't allowed to post this kind of thing, Ben Whishaw will be
Spoiler alert
Q in the next film.
[close]
Bit of a left-field choice but Whishaw is a talented enough actor to excell in the role, in my opinion.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: kitsofan34 on November 25, 2011, 01:17:35 PM
Just in case we aren't allowed to post this kind of thing, Ben Whishaw will be
Spoiler alert
Q in the next film.
[close]
Bit of a left-field choice but Whishaw is a talented enough actor to excell in the role, in my opinion.

Very much allowed and thanks for spoilering it! He's been linked to that role (touched briefly in this thread) so interesting to see how it panned out...

Neomod

I hope Bond treats him like Pingu in Nathan Barley.

Jemble Fred

I've yet to see Whishaw twinkle in any way, and that character needs so much charm and wit. Let's hope they haven't made
Spoiler alert
Q
[close]
as blandly morose as everything else in the Craigiverse.

El Unicornio, mang

Although I'd take bland Q over them making him anything like the John Cleese Q.

Jemble Fred

I thought he was only ever R.

El Unicornio, mang

He's R in The World Is Not Enough, Q in Die Another Day.

Dead kate moss

Saw Daniel Craig in Camden last week. IMDB says he's 5'10". Not that it's vitally important but is he fu-