Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:33:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Post-repair Warranties

Started by pk1yen, November 06, 2011, 03:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pk1yen

Brief question about warranties which google and other appropriate sites don't seem to want to answer.

Do standard warranties restart once something has been repaired within the first warranty? Logically, they should, shouldn't they? I mean - if a company is making products which can't go a year without SOMETHING going wrong ... aren't they liable to repair things?

And if they're not ... is it reasonable for me to argue my case that this laptop hasn't yet gone a full year without something going wrong?

Then again ... as laptops get older, they're more likely to break ... so if year warranties restarted every time something was repaired ... something else is more likely to break before the next time.

The short rather dull story - bought a laptop May 2010 - laptop battery broke around May 2011, still in Warranty.
Despite my protests, HP made me send the whole thing off to them (via PC World), even thought the problem was definitely the battery which had to be replaced.

Anyway - got it back, everything was fine.
Until yesterday, where it restarted itself with a fatal error when I plugged an HDMI cable into the port.
THEN it started restarting itself whenever I opened the lid out of hibernation.

But this is not a techy thread. Seems like a hardware problem.

What I do want to know -- is whether my warranty restarts after the first time it was repaired? Or whether it's extended by a mere 28  (useless) days? Or 6 months? (which is why I'm making this desperate thread, just in case I need to dash down before the 6 months are up).

To turn it from a help-thread into a discussion thread - what hilarious warranty stories do you have? Seems a LOT of trchnology seems to break just outside warranty nowadays. Apple in particular seem to be statistically bad at this (from what I've heard from iPhone owners ... my iPod Classic is still working perfectly after 4 years).

Famous Mortimer

The year warranty is crap anyway. The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (As Amended) says that products should be "fit for purpose", and an expensive laptop that breaks down after 13 months is clearly not fit for purpose. Threaten them with trading standards and quote the legislation at them and 99 times out of 100 they'll  back down and do the repairs for stuff which is out of warranty.

Wilbur

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 06, 2011, 04:16:47 PM
The year warranty is crap anyway. The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (As Amended) says that products should be "fit for purpose", and an expensive laptop that breaks down after 13 months is clearly not fit for purpose. Threaten them with trading standards and quote the legislation at them and 99 times out of 100 they'll  back down and do the repairs for stuff which is out of warranty.

This sort of. BUT......be prepared to lose the will to live. PC World seem to have a policy of fighting this to a ridiculous extreme. They nearly always fail to turn up for the small claims court hearing and you'll win it but its a LOT of hassle.

Worth it - I did this to a Birmingham based company whose laptop and then subsequent replacement laptop BOTH died within 2 months of receipt. Took me a year and a half but I got fully reimbursed plus interest at the legal rate and my costs paid. Fucking stupid pricks didn't even turn up to court and now they have a CCJ. Har fucking har. Twats.

Take them all the way, you cannot lose.